• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The NFL Discussion Thread

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ugh Marvin Lewis needs to be fired now

Luck had too many weapons and the Bengals were too beat up with injuries to stay with them. That, and poor play-calling and Andy Dalton being Andy Dalton. -_-

It had nothing to do with Marvin Lewis or Andy Dalton. It was 100% injuries and horrible play-calling, both of which have plagued the entire season. If you want to blame anyone, blame Hue Jackson; he's pretty damn terrible.

Years
  • It had nothing to do with Marvin Lewis or Andy Dalton. It was 100% injuries and horrible play-calling, both of which have plagued the entire season. If you want to blame anyone, blame Hue Jackson; he's pretty damn terrible.

Right, but this is four straight years in a playoff game where we've just rolled over and died without much of a fight, and we've done abysmaly with and without Hue Jackson. The only constant in all our playoff losses is Marvin and Andy. It's not entirely their fault, considering we had the most players on IR in the league (For awhile at least) and almost all of our offensive threats were hurt.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Right, but this is four straight years in a playoff game where we've just rolled over and died without much of a fight, and we've done abysmaly with and without Hue Jackson. The only constant in all our playoff losses is Marvin and Andy. It's not entirely their fault, considering we had the most players on IR in the league (For awhile at least) and almost all of our offensive threats were hurt.

The Bengals have also went 24 years without a playoff win. 4 years without a win is pretty fucking ridiculous, but Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton have done a LOT for this team. They're both fine at what they do; there's just always SOME kind of issue holding the Bengals back.

Years
  • The Bengals have also went 24 years without a playoff win. 4 years without a win is pretty fucking ridiculous, but Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton have done a LOT for this team. They're both fine at what they do; there's just always SOME kind of issue holding the Bengals back.

Which I think is why everyone's so frustrated, they always get on the cusp of being a good team, winning a playoff game, etc, and have it snatched away at the last second. We've come along way since 2-14 in '03 with the first overall pick, but something has to give for Cinci to take it to the next level - some kind kind of mangerial or personnel change, I think. I miss Zimmer and Gruden, haha.

Years
  • Which I think is why everyone's so frustrated, they always get on the cusp of being a good team, winning a playoff game, etc, and have it snatched away at the last second. We've come along way since 2-14 in '03 with the first overall pick, but something has to give for Cinci to take it to the next level - some kind kind of mangerial or personnel change, I think. I miss Zimmer and Gruden, haha.

Cincy was my early year SB pick based on how they kicked off the season, but things always seem to come in their way. With such a strong lineup AFC quarterbacks, it's going to take something to push them over the hump. Luck isn't slowing down anytime soon, and Brady and Manning, although old, are at the very top of their position currently, and all-time.

Who do y'all got this weekend? I'm taking Seattle over Carolina, Dallas over Green Bay, Broncos over Colts, and Ravens over Patriots.

Years
  • I'm going to take Seattle over Carolina, Green Bay over Dallas (Even with Rodger's calf situation), Denver over Indy, and Baltimore over New England because Flacco's owned them in the past and I think the Ravens are getting hot at the right time.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Baltimore over New England
    Carolina over Seattle
    Indy over Denver
    Green Bay over Dallas

That's what I want to happen, but I don't know about 3 upsets happening. I'm banking on this mostly because of my playoffs fantasy roster:

QB Andrew Luck
    RB Justin Forsett
    WR TY Hilton
    WR Steve Smith
    WR Reggie Wayne
    WR Golden Tate
    TE Greg Olsen
    K Justin Tucker
    Baltimore Defense

The scoring system is goofy, but needless to say that if the Colts and Ravens both advance I could wrap up the title pretty easily. I'm in a commanding lead after week 1, but people have a lot of players from the 4 first round byes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    SHOCKING decision by the officials to reverse that Cowboys 4th down pass, he clearly had the ball when he was down then it came loose.

Years
  • Not exactly, the ground caused the ball to come loose towards the end of the play when Dez rolled over. While the ground can't cause a fumble, it can cause an incomplete pass and that's what happened there.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Not exactly, the ground caused the ball to come loose towards the end of the play when Dez rolled over. While the ground can't cause a fumble, it can cause an incomplete pass and that's what happened there.
    But given Dez had the ball in his hand and had already caught it and then made a football move with 3 steps stretching into the endzone it was a completed pass. Whilst falling back to the ground hes knee was down before the ball came out of his hands ending the play.

But this is from the same game Packers can complete a pass that clearly hit the ground before the receiver even had a hand on the ball

Years
  • Even though everyone's talking about how it was the Calvin Johnson rule in play, I don't think it was, I think Dez had possession of the ball coming down and then made a football move towards the end zone. However, one play does not define a game. If we stopped GB's ensuing drive, we would've had one more shot. BUT - had that 4th down gone through, Dallas would've had a much, MUCH better shot at winning.

At least Romo being a chronic choker should be put to rest at least for the moment.

Anyone think Manning will retire? Anyone think Luck will end up as a better Colt QB than Manning?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Even though everyone's talking about how it was the Calvin Johnson rule in play, I don't think it was, I think Dez had possession of the ball coming down and then made a football move towards the end zone. However, one play does not define a game. If we stopped GB's ensuing drive, we would've had one more shot. BUT - had that 4th down gone through, Dallas would've had a much, MUCH better shot at winning.

At least Romo being a chronic choker should be put to rest at least for the moment.

Anyone think Manning will retire? Anyone think Luck will end up as a better Colt QB than Manning?

I don't believe Bryant made a conscious effort to go for the goal line though. I think it's a pretty slim chance that in that split second he decided to stretch for the goal line, but that's just me. If anything, considering he did "catch" it at the 1, he shouldn't have tried to stretch it out if he indeed made a co scions effort to get that touchdown. There would have been plenty of time on the clock to punch that TD in.

With John Fox gone, Manning is an interesting position. My guess with him is that he's going to spend the offseason trying to see if he can fix that groin injury; he's still got $30+ million on the line, so why wouldn't you try to keep playing? That's a lot of money that you are passing on. I personally think he should retire considering there's no shame in stepping of the game while you still can, but money talks and I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to play out his contract (to the dismay of a lot of NFL fans probably.)

Andrew Luck is definitely playing at a higher rate than Peyton Manning did in his early career. I don't know Lucks postseason record by heart, but considering he's made the postseason all 3 of his years in the league is pretty damn good. Manning is 11-13 and has 9 one-and-done seasons in the postseason; it's too early to determine if Luck will mimic that, but considering how weak the AFC is and Roethlisberger/Brady/Manning are all on their last legs of their careers, you can expect a lot of Luck, Flacco, and honestly, possibly Garrapolo - the backup of Brady - in the upcoming years of playoffs.

Years
  • Rookie QBs this year in terms of potential:

Carr (Teddy is not far behind) > Bridgewater > Garrapolo > Bortles > Mettenberger > Everyone else > Jimmy Clausen > Manziel

If they groom Garra right, the drop-off from Brady to him might not be too steep. I think it would allow Buffalo/Miami to make a few postseasons, though. Derek and Teddy have shown a lot of promise. Out of this bunch, I think TB is the first to make it to the promised land due to a better supporting cast. If the Raiders can surround Carr with more quality players and start cleaning out the garbage that is currently the offensive roster, he will be even better. Not sold on Bortles yet, but better than Gabbert and Henne.

As for Peyton, I think he should play one more year, get the money, and end it during the next offseason. I REALLY hope Luck makes the SB. He deserves it so damn much.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Rookie QBs this year in terms of potential:

Carr (Teddy is not far behind) > Bridgewater > Garrapolo > Bortles > Mettenberger > Everyone else > Jimmy Clausen > Manziel

If they groom Garra right, the drop-off from Brady to him might not be too steep. I think it would allow Buffalo/Miami to make a few postseasons, though. Derek and Teddy have shown a lot of promise. Out of this bunch, I think TB is the first to make it to the promised land due to a better supporting cast. If the Raiders can surround Carr with more quality players and start cleaning out the garbage that is currently the offensive roster, he will be even better. Not sold on Bortles yet, but better than Gabbert and Henne.

As for Peyton, I think he should play one more year, get the money, and end it during the next offseason. I REALLY hope Luck makes the SB. He deserves it so damn much.

Sorry friend; NE has had Luck's number many times the last few years. Speaking unbiasedly - even though I am a Pats fan - Indy's defense has definitely improved since Week 11 when NE trounced them, but how much...that's to still be determined. I just think that the fact that Indy needs to come into Gillette in the blistering cold and in a venue that they have a really bad track record at, it's not going to be as close as people think it might. I'm a fan of Luck, but I don't think it's his time just yet in which he gets to go to a Super Bowl.

I haven't been following the rookie quarterbacks too much, but TB is still a long ways away from contending. I think the South is overall going to bounce back pretty well from this year - I'm still shocked that Rex Ryan didn't go to Atlanta for the head coaching job, but hey money talks and he got offered $25 million in a five year contract - and TB is still the weakest team in that division. Besides Garrapolo, Bridgewater is the only one I see value in if AP comes back the Vikings; Carr in my opinion is a little overhyped but that's just my opinion. I have Pats season tickets so I got to see Garrapolo play in Week 16 and he wasn't too bad. He's already as accurate as Brady (at his old age) on my opinion, he just needs to work on his pocket presence. Which, I think he'll just improve on in due time as he just needs to get rid of the rookie jitters. He also surprisingly has the legs like Wilson or Kaepernick, which could add a whole new dimension to the offense that NE has never experienced (at least as far I can think before Bledsoe.)

Years
  • Sorry friend; NE has had Luck's number many times the last few years. Speaking unbiasedly - even though I am a Pats fan - Indy's defense has definitely improved since Week 11 when NE trounced them, but how much...that's to still be determined. I just think that the fact that Indy needs to come into Gillette in the blistering cold and in a venue that they have a really bad track record at, it's not going to be as close as people think it might. I'm a fan of Luck, but I don't think it's his time just yet in which he gets to go to a Super Bowl.

I haven't been following the rookie quarterbacks too much, but TB is still a long ways away from contending. I think the South is overall going to bounce back pretty well from this year - I'm still shocked that Rex Ryan didn't go to Atlanta for the head coaching job, but hey money talks and he got offered $25 million in a five year contract - and TB is still the weakest team in that division. Besides Garrapolo, Bridgewater is the only one I see value in if AP comes back the Vikings; Carr in my opinion is a little overhyped but that's just my opinion. I have Pats season tickets so I got to see Garrapolo play in Week 16 and he wasn't too bad. He's already as accurate as Brady (at his old age) on my opinion, he just needs to work on his pocket presence. Which, I think he'll just improve on in due time as he just needs to get rid of the rookie jitters. He also surprisingly has the legs like Wilson or Kaepernick, which could add a whole new dimension to the offense that NE has never experienced (at least as far I can think before Bledsoe.)

brah, by TB I meant Teddy Bridgewater. sorry for the confusion

Years
  • Blah, no need to apologize.

So what do you think: Seattle or Green Bay coming out on top as the NFC Champions?

TB meaning the Bucs are far away from contending though, I agree with you 100%.

Seattle. Defense is much too strong, will get to Rodgers, rattle him, possibly make him even gimpier, and GB's average-at-best D won't be able to stop Russell and Beastmode. SEA looks like the best team in the NFL far and away, I look forward to when they play the Pats in SB. Repeating as the champs would do a LOT for this team in terms of dynasty, and basically guarantee Russell an enormous check even though he probably will get one regardless of SB or not. Personally I think this D may even be better than the 2000 Ravens.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • TB meaning the Bucs are far away from contending though, I agree with you 100%.

Seattle. Defense is much too strong, will get to Rodgers, rattle him, possibly make him even gimpier, and GB's average-at-best D won't be able to stop Russell and Beastmode. SEA looks like the best team in the NFL far and away, I look forward to when they play the Pats in SB. Repeating as the champs would do a LOT for this team in terms of dynasty, and basically guarantee Russell an enormous check even though he probably will get one regardless of SB or not. Personally I think this D may even be better than the 2000 Ravens.

Don't know if this would be beyond your knowledge, but how do you think this Seattle defense compares to the '85 Chicago Bears? I've been listening to people trying to compare the two these past few days.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    What are your guys' Super Bowl picks?

Personally, I REALLY wanted a Ravens VS Cowboys game. I've always been a Ravens fan, and I've always respected Dallas. I guess you can say I'm a fan of the underdogs, always. Haha. Anyways, I was disappointed seeing my picks lose in the Divisional Round this weekend in such a fashion- after my home team Cardinals went one and done in the wild card, this only leaves the Colts as a strong favorite, and now I'm hoping for a Colts VS Packers Super Bowl.

Do you guys think Luck has what it takes to beat Brady and his Belicheck defense next weekend? I personally think so. I've been watching Luck since his Stanford days, and have always admired the way he plays- I think he deserves it more than Brady. But, that's just my opinion.

As for the question of who I think will be the NFC champion, while Seattle is an easy choice, I dislike them with a passion, being an Arizona Cardinal fan. My heart beats for the red sea! Bird gang all day baby! So, I'm obviously picking the gimped Rodgers and his Packers to take the NFC crown.

Back