• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misanthropism

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
In fictional media, extraterrestrial races and artificial intelligence tend to belittle humanity as being weak, flawed, and dangerous, but then the human characters spew out the same "counterargument" about how they're stronger than they look and never give up and end up victorious. But what if these fictional non-human characters were right all along. We've constantly keep screwing up fixing what we've caused: overpopulation, pollution, extinction to other life forms. And whatever solutions we use to solve one problem causes yet another problem (Ex: eco-friendly wind propellers killing bird of prey population). This brings forth the misanthropists, who downright despise humanity - and sympathies with non-human life forms such as plants and animals, and wish for it to be wiped out in order to save the planet, because they're beyond saving in this day and age. Should we allow A.I.'s like Skynet and Ultron or an alien race to take control of our world, believing they'll take care of it better than us, or is this nothing but full exaggeration that only happens in our books and movies and the misanthropists are just delusional?

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
I think that any intelligent life we may encounter in space would have to have made some mistakes with their own world and therefore shouldn't judge us for ours. And the point of that we are trying to fix them. Any help we can take would go a long way, but I don't think that the earth should be taken from us, especially in regards to AI.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
While misanthropy as a concept has existed for many centuries, it seems to have taken on new life since the Industrial Revolution, as we become aware of humanity's true failure; protecting the earth. I think it's a natural option to feel distaste for your fellow man, but misanthropy as a worldview is just so... redundant. You're aware of the flaws of many of our kind, on an individual and larger scale, just like most of us. The only difference being that most people take this knowledge and search for a way to better things, or at least try to. Misanthropists take the knowledge and do nothing with it. On a personal level, I can empathise with the passive rejection of society that defines misanthropy. But I'm critical because it's such a useless way to go on. Perhaps we are doomed to destroy our own planet because of the numerous failures of our species. But passivity only enables those who are ruining the planet. Misanthropy gives notion to the idea that there is an overarching human nature beyond our own leftover animal instincts, something which I refuse to acknowledge. While humanity has the extent to take good and bad to an extent incapable of our animal brethren because of our intelligence, we're not inherently good or bad people, nor are we inherently a mixed combination of that. Individually, we're just human, whatever that may be. Misanthropy makes people think humans are 'born to be bad', inherently destructive, etc. I will have none of that.

As for the question of the thread, whether we should hand ourselves over to some robotic or alien benevolent dictator, god no. Perhaps I'm just too influenced by Terminator, but there's just too much of the unknown at play. Too much to be considered for the fate of our species alone, let alone the fate of the earth, all that live on it and all that we could affect in the future. We're pretty shite guardians, but having a benevolent Skynet take over running the planet (and whatever that may entail) is just ludicrous.

Back