• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the XY Anime worth Watching?

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
  • I have not watched the Pokemon anime in quite some time. I believe the last time I was actively watching Pokemon anime while it was new was with the release of some of the Gen IV movies and occasional viewings of the Diamond and Pearl series on Cartoon Network (my first experience with Pokemon is with the fourth gen). I have also watched a little of the Advanced Generation cartoon (is that what it was called? It's the one with all the third gen characters) and have watched about 3/4 of the Indigo League. I have heard that the newest one is fairly decent and wanted y'all's opinions on whether it'd be worth a watch.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    In my opinion I would say it's not really worth watching. To me everything is still the same and nothing's really changed. It got really boring for me so I stopped watching the anime. If a few changes are made then maybe I'll watch it again but until then I won't be watching.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I would consider myself an anime elitist so the Pokemon anime in general to me is trash amongst trash.

However, within a vacuum, if you want to watch the anime for the sake of it being Pokemon, I'd say the XY (and currently broadcasting XY&Z) series would be among the better seasons.

Animation quality's gotten a lot better at least. Subjectively, anyway.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally, I think XY is probably one of the best Pokémon series that I ever watched. It has many likable characters (like Serena, Clemont and even Bonnie, among others), some proper characterization and all, that I'm sure you will enjoy it, and it will worth it. But then, it's anyone's opinion, okay?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    To date I've seen about half of the Pokemon X/Y anime but I try to read up on it every week because I'm interested to see what's going on but can't watch 30 minutes of it because it gets sooo boring and fillery. I do really like to watch the battle though, the animation effects have only gotten better over the years!

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
  • Thanks for y'all's opinions. From what I've heard its still plagued by some of the same issues that has afflicted Pokemon anime for the past 10 years or so. Even within this in consideration, it seems its worth a watch. Anyway I can sidestep some of the more filler laden arcs and get to I guess the better parts within the anime?

Anime Sucks

I would say no, it really hasn't improved in quality since before XY. I'd go as far to say it's even more boring than Best Wishes was, though there are some good episodes in XY by Pokemon anime standards but they are kind of few and far between imo.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • Like I said in my "Is the anime ruined" Pokémon hasn't been worth watching since black and white Ash has made no progress towards his goal (Proven when he was beaten by the idiot Cameron) even if his new Pokémon sucks Pikachu is so strong since he has went through 6 and a half regions so he should be OP but this may have something to do with Ash not Ageing you see with Age comes progress and if Ash never ages he might never live up to his full potential and will not meet to his goal since he never changes he will stay a dumb 10 year old and it will always seem like he's at the beginning.

Years
  • Like Windy said, XY is probably one of the best series I have watched in years. The animation quality has gotten a lot better, and a lot of the characters are very lovable, such as Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and even a few of the rivals. Plus, Ash's team are more on the strong and badass side, which is quite a departure from most of his previous teams.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • For reference:

So we have evolutions all over the place, Ash has been getting a butt-ton of final evolutionary forms—
    Spoiler:

Then we have Zygarde action smacked in the middle, Team Rocket vs. Team Flare (I dunno what the producers have in mind for Giovanni), shippy-as-hell material if you're into that (especially with episode 104 announced that has the die-hard Amourshippers fired up), and who knows what else.

I have to admit, though, XY (and XY&Z) is the first series in the anime that I bothered to keep up with (at least in terms of news) in a long time.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Honestly, XY&Z is the best one in a while. Especially Z so far, it's been pretty cool. At least to me. I started watching it because Alan from the Evolution movies is in the opening and the description, but I kept it up just because it's been pretty cool on it's own, even if he hasn't shown up yet. Ash is freakin' merging his energy or spirit or something with one of his Pokemon currently, and I think that's really dang cool. I would use words to better expression my feelings, but the censor would block them. Though, yes, I think the current anime is well worth watching. :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    If you like quiet anime and don't have much expectation then it is worth watch it. ^^
    the preview 2016 looks interresting btw. :3
    Can't wait for alain's debut. x3

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Pokemon XY and far better than any of the sagas. To be very honest, I have no idea why people think it is similar. It is so much different and so much better than any other season.

The animation is great, Ash isn't a noob, and the shipping is always enjoyable. It is also far darker than any other season. Even though it still isn't too dark. Team Rocket isn't totally clueless. Giovanni is about to get involved again.

The fillers are actually very fun to watch and the it is the very first anime where I haven't been able to wait to watch the Dub, so I try my best to find it before in airs in America.

Not to mention XYZ seems to be on the bridge of insanity for pokemon which is amazing. Pokemon XY and XYZ are by far, and I mean BY FAR, the best saga ever in pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    So we have evolutions all over the place, Ash has been getting a butt-ton of final evolutionary forms—
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

But to answer the main question, yes, there are some repeating themes, but so far XY is the best series in Pokémon Anime for me and I like to watch even fillers, which is something to say. The only thing I really don't like is Team Rocket. The only good thing about first two Unova seasons was, that Team Rocket was real villain team. Unfortunately, after that, they turned them back to "ruin the day and blast off" comic relief and in XY they even took back the over annoying Wobbuffet. But even with that, it's really the best series they did with Pokémon Anime IMHO.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    Yes it is they took away everything that BW did which ruined the series and evolved what DP did :)

Spoiler:

But to answer the main question, yes, there are some repeating themes, but so far XY is the best series in Pokémon Anime for me and I like to watch even fillers, which is something to say. The only thing I really don't like is Team Rocket. The only good thing about first two Unova seasons was, that Team Rocket was real villain team. Unfortunately, after that, they turned them back to "ruin the day and blast off" comic relief and in XY they even took back the over annoying Wobbuffet. But even with that, it's really the best series they did with Pokémon Anime IMHO.
    Rather have that over the soulless Team Rocket from BW

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • I think it's worth it as far as the Pokemon anime is concerned specifically. I recently watched the entirety of the series from episode 1 (first time ever doing that) and I saw all the ups and downs and super slow character development. It's been refreshing that Ash knows what he's doing without needing to mentor a new trainer (May and Dawn filled that role, albeit for a short time before focusing on contests), Serena has a more interesting back story than most travel companions, and I found it fascinating how long it took her to get serious about anything (much like many people I know), Team Rocket has regained some of their goofy charm while not being totally inept, and XY has just been fun to watch overall. Especially after the atrocity of BW...

In many ways it feels like this anime is actually going somewhere, which I like. Also, you should watch the Mega Evolution specials that go along with the anime (so far in the dub it's not too apparent, but they lead into XY&Z)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Yes it is they took away everything that BW did which ruined the series and evolved what DP did :)

Rather have that over the soulless Team Rocket from BW
    That's a matter of opinion, but for me, Team Rocket, or more precisely, Jessie James and Meowth, are soulless the way they are now and were for majority of their time in the show, since with a few exceptions, they were nothing but stupid annoying goofbacks. That's not how main villains of the show should be IMHO. And, most importantly, the show itself would be better without Team Rocket ruining the life of Ash & Co. almost every episode, which becomes way too predictable, especially for filler episodes.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    That's a matter of opinion, but for me, Team Rocket, or more precisely, Jessie James and Meowth, are soulless the way they are now and were for majority of their time in the show, since with a few exceptions, they were nothing but stupid annoying goofbacks. That's not how main villains of the show should be IMHO. And, most importantly, the show itself would be better without Team Rocket ruining the life of Ash & Co. almost every episode, which becomes way too predictable, especially for filler episodes.

That is the thing they are not main villains. They are comic relief.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    And that's actually the main thing that is wrong with the show IMO. The show doesn't need constant comic relief. The show needs serious villains. That would've improved the show.

Back