• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Delete backgrounds on menu options?

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
  • Hey everyone!

I have a seemingly very simple question:

I'd like to remove the backgrounds on the menu options. So basically, instead of showing a background picture, it just shows whatever is happening on the background (the map). To make it easier, here's pictures of how it should look like in the end.

Spoiler:

And basically the same for everything else. Any idea of how to do this? deleting the background picture only results in a black background, so it's more to that than just handling the pictures.

Thanks guys!

RaulCortez

Years
  • Thanks BadSamaritan!

I've theorized many things, but nothing like what you mentioned. Thanks for the insight, and hopefully someone will know how to manage something like this! It looks like it's just a minor thing, but it does make a difference on the appearance of my game.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It looks like it's just a minor thing
    It looks like a major rewrite of a whole load of scripts to me. It's not something you can just feel like doing. You've been given advice on where to look, and I don't think you'll get any more help with this because it's so involved.

RaulCortez

Years
  • It looks like a major rewrite of a whole load of scripts to me. It's not something you can just feel like doing. You've been given advice on where to look, and I don't think you'll get any more help with this because it's so involved.

Thanks for the info and sorry if it feels like i undermined the amount of work put into it, i'm ignorant to most of that complex coding. Now, BadSamaritan mentioned something very lightly, and i had no idea it would be so involved as you mention it. You more than anyone would know, since you write them yourself. It would help a lot if you could at least tell me what scripts have to be rewritten, if you don't mind. I think i could be on my way of figuring it out then. Thanks!

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have no idea what to do, and to be honest I'm not interested in finding out. As you say, it looks like a minor thing, and I don't think it's worth the hassle for such a minor visual change. It would take me a while just to wrap my head around the scope of the task, let alone come up with ideas for how to achieve (or fake) it.

RaulCortez

Years
  • I have no idea what to do, and to be honest I'm not interested in finding out. As you say, it looks like a minor thing, and I don't think it's worth the hassle for such a minor visual change. It would take me a while just to wrap my head around the scope of the task, let alone come up with ideas for how to achieve (or fake) it.

Ok then, if you have no idea and have no interest then thanks anyway for taking the time to reply. I'll keep checking on the scripts and keep messing with it. I've actually done it before, but i really cannot remember how at this point (it was around 2 years ago or something like that.)

If someone does know or has any idea, any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

RaulCortez

Years
  • Hmm, the only way I can think of to fake it, would be for the game to take a screenshot of the map when you load up the pause menu. Then assign that screenshot to a bitmap, and finally use that bitmap for the background image in each scene.

Unfortunately while I believe there is a way to take an in-game screenshot for error purposes, I'm not sure if there is a method for actually doing it in the game.

Damn, that does sound complex, BadSamaritan. Thank you so much for your help, it really means a lot that you go out of your way to help me.

I guess I'll just assume that the coding within the engine itself has gotten more complex than it used to be two years ago. I figured out a way to do it through trial and error back then, but i guess it's one of those one time instances. I guess i'll keep trying in the meanwhile!

If i get it to work i'll post it here in case someone is actually curious about it. If anyone knows, again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • It's just the def pbFadeOutIn that makes your screen turn black during transitions. The actual scenes (menus) stack over one another. If you remove the function from the def I just mentioned, that colours the newly created viewport into gradually darker shades of black, and remove the backgrounds from the other scripts, you'll be left with a see-through menu. Although your transitions will be ugly. Alternatively you can write your own block processor for those kinds of transitions, to behave to your liking.

d20b350503d0637e956f2e069975d668.png

(all the interfaces stack, including the inital menu)
    (the map scenes don't get hard-switched or reloaded at any point)

RaulCortez

Years
  • It's just the def pbFadeOutIn that makes your screen turn black during transitions. The actual scenes (menus) stack over one another. If you remove the function from the def I just mentioned, that colours the newly created viewport into gradually darker shades of black, and remove the backgrounds from the other scripts, you'll be left with a see-through menu. Although your transitions will be ugly. Alternatively you can write your own block processor for those kinds of transitions, to behave to your liking.

d20b350503d0637e956f2e069975d668.png

(all the interfaces stack, including the inital menu)
    (the map scenes don't get hard-switched or reloaded at any point)

Hey Luka! thank you so much! I just got it to work! means a lot!

(BTW! I was the guy that messaged you about the graphics for Tykanite on Facebook. Glad to see you around the forum!)

Last edited:
    Back