• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 64 Discussion Thread

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Mind if I ask how your N64 libraries are looking, guys? Does anyone still actively buy N64 cartridges, or do you consider your N64 library complete? Is there anything you missed that you'd like to have?

Ahh my N64 library is:

Kirby 64
    Pokemon Stadium
    Ocarina of Time
    Flying Dragon
    Starcraft 64
    Perfect Dark
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Party 3
    Star Fox 64
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mario Kart 64
    Dr. Mario

Which yeah, this library is faaaar from complete. XD

Games that I'd like to own:

Donkey Kong 64
    Goldeneye
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Paper Mario
    Pokemon Snap
    Majora's Mask
    Super Smash Bros.

Have you guys ever used that expansion pack for the 64? I never had it. ;__;

Also, has anyone played... this? XD

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Games I own:

Super Mario 64
    Mario Party
    Pokemon Stadium
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo Tooie
    Donkey Kong 64
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
    Tarzan
    Donald Duck: Quack Attack
    Rugrats: Treasure Hunters
    Rugrats in Paris

Games I have that I don't play:
    Turok 2
    Mace: The Dark Age
    Pilotwings 64
    extreme-G
    extreme-G 2
    Star Wars episode 1: Racer

Games I want:
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Glover (for sentimental reasons)
    Mario Kart 64
    Starfox/Lylat Wars 64
    Perfect Dark

The expansion Pack is a necessary thing for some games, like DK64 and Majora's Mask (I think), and one or two others. I think it's either a RAM or Graphics upgrade for the system. I just leave it in full time cause it doesn't seem to interfere with anything really.

I have a couple of games there that I never play because I got them as part of a bundle for an N64, two Zelda games and Banjo Kazooie. for €100, which is a pretty decent price when MM goes for €45-€60 depending on condition by itself here :)

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I grew up with the N64, so perhaps I have a slightly biased view, but I think what made the system really great was it had just enough top tier single player games to keep you tied over, and then where it really succeeded was in fun multiplayer party games. For racing you had Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Cruis'n the World, for FPS there was Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Quake, for fighting games there was Smash Bros. obviously, and for wrestling fans, WCW/NWO revenge was great as was WWF No Mercy. I absolutely love the Mario Party series, and while perhaps they've gone to the well a couple of times too many with it, but it's still a great series in my eyes. 4 player Dr. Mario was even fun and worth a rental for a weekend.

That's what made the N64 so great in my eyes, weekends with friends just playing the hell out of it. People today can look back and mock the primitive 3D graphics and whatnot, and maybe Doom and Quake were better on PC, but that didn't even matter to us as kids. It was all about going to a friends house, controller in hand, ready to tear it up with some split screen Mario Kart. Even when things had moved into the mid 2000s and myself and friends had PS2s, we'd start of playing Need for Speed, but usually end up playing Mario Kart again. The N64 was all about fun, and that's what made it great.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • If you had to choose one, what would be your favourite game to play on the N64?

Hm, this is a tough one, haha. I'd say Ocarina of Time:

Mainly because I remember having loads of fun just trying to figure out what to do, while getting swarmed by those Peahats and those Stallchilds (rememeber those Peahats and Stallchilds? Ugh.) The dungeons are really unforgettable too; haaated the Water Temple, but loooved the Shadow & Spirit Temple! Aw heck, even the Water Temple proved to be pretty fun to be in because it just got so irritating that you just want to beat it, haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The expansion pak is necessary for Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, and Donkey Kong 64, for anyone wondering. Only three games use it.

Anyway, I have not played Superman 64, but saw two copies for sale at Replays this past weekend...yeeeah. lol

Favorite game to play on the N64 is probably Pokemon Stadium 2. Ocarina of Time is one of my favorite games, but Pokemon Stadium 2 was always my go-to game when I was bored, so I gotta go with 7-year-old Syd on that one.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask are two of my favorites for the system, but I enjoyed a lot of my classics from it. I also loved the original Tony Hawk games. Fond memories of playing that with friends and at school on breaks.

I'd probably...pick Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. It had the most potential for replaying it, that I can remember. I played for hours and hours. If not that one, maybe Majora's because I loved all the masks.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 was an amazing game. It's one of he few games that my brother and I still play together to this day. It's actually one of he few games in which he can seriously kick my arse in, which is something I'm actually proud to say. I have a lot of fond memories of watching my brother play that game, especially on the last level in Mexico with the flipping half pipe and the bull you can get completely mauled by.

That being said, my favorite game in turn with replay value is Paper Mario. That game will always hold a special place in my heart. That game has some serious kickass music to it, as well as some of the boss battles like the Crystal King, Huff N Puff, and General Shy Guy. Kooper is still one of my favorite characters to this day.

Honorable mentions go to Donkey Kong 64, Star Wars Pod Racer, and F-Zero.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • and maybe Doom and Quake were better on PC

There was a Doom for N64, and it was boss. It was the best console port of the game, although it missed some stuff. Actually, calling it a port is a bit inaccurate since the maps were all new and the art was remade into a more terror style. Doom 64 features TROR (true room over room), which was impossible in the original engine, although it's not used much in the game.

HOWEVER, the Doom 64 on N64 was made irrelevant by the creation of Doom64Ex, which is basically a port of Doom 64 for the PC using the source code and it has better gameplay (not least because you can WASD + mouse in the port compared to the original game).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • That being said, my favorite game in turn with replay value is Paper Mario. That game will always hold a special place in my heart. That game has some serious kickass music to it, as well as some of the boss battles like the Crystal King, Huff N Puff, and General Shy Guy. Kooper is still one of my favorite characters to this day.
    Paper Mario to me is the most.... Mario-ey game I think there is. It's like the 90s cartoon show, but done well. As an expanded universe kind of thing. It was the way I always imagined the Mushroom Kingdom as a kid. I love it

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Paper Mario to me is the most.... Mario-ey game I think there is. It's like the 90s cartoon show, but done well. As an expanded universe kind of thing. It was the way I always imagined the Mushroom Kingdom as a kid. I love it

Yeah; I loved Paper Mario 64!

But I dunno, what do you think of the rest of the series? A Thousand Year Old door was great imo, but, the rest just.. fell flat. ;__;

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I haven't played Thousand Year Door - a game I still want to play at some point - but the Wii version and 3DS installment in the series fell flat in my opinion. I thought the switching to a z axis was a cool concept to try, but the world that it was placed in was nothing compared to the Mushroom Kingdom of Paper Mario. Sticker Star had a horrible combat system, and thus made it almost unplayable me for me

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Yeah; I loved Paper Mario 64!

But I dunno, what do you think of the rest of the series? A Thousand Year Old door was great imo, but, the rest just.. fell flat. ;__;
    Thousand Year Door was acceptable, just forgettable. Did not enjoy Super Paper Mario at all. Did not bother with Sticker Star

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • What were some of your favorite N64 titles that most people don't remember?

I loved the Gex game (the second one). It was one of those fun, unique games and I loved playing it. I was never any good at it, but I remember being one of the few kids who had even heard of it back in the day.

Years
  • Ah the N64. What fond memories that system brings back to me.

I played it constantly back when I was a kid. Some of my favorite games included Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1-3 (especially 2), Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Snap, both Pokemon Stadium games, Pokemon Puzzle League, and my favorite, Paper Mario.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • What were some of your favorite N64 titles that most people don't remember?

I loved the Gex game (the second one). It was one of those fun, unique games and I loved playing it. I was never any good at it, but I remember being one of the few kids who had even heard of it back in the day.

Wetrix. I sucked at it. But it was the only game my cousin had that I didn't that I would play a lot (and was obscure. Most played was Pokemon Snap, that's not obscure)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any game I've played that could necessarily be put into that category. All the ones I did are known by people, more or less. Wish I were able to explore more selection of games, but unfortunately, I wasn't; back then, I'd be limited when it comes to buying video games and whatnot by my parents (they'd get them for me as rewards, so to speak, which was not a common occurrence), so always wound up going with whichever was considered to be "best" by friends, if that makes sense.

Anyhow, out of all Nintendo 64 games that I did play, I'd say my most favorite would be Super Mario 64. Loved being able to freely roam, do quests, and so forth; all of this really intrigued me, as it was the first time I had played anything like it. Never got to complete it from start to finish (as in, acquiring all stars, including secret ones), but playing through the game was still a ton of fun. Enjoyed it a lot.

Up next would be F-Zero. Am a huge fan of Mario Kart, but what made me like this even more was the dark theme that it's got surrounding itself, which, in my opinion, was a pretty nice change of pace. In terms of progression, aside from second, I never got to unlock any line of drivers, which sucked. Tried a lot of things, but regardless of how hard I did, I still couldn't manage to achieve them. Though, it was still a pretty entertaining game nonetheless, and it really disappoints me to see Nintendo dropping the series all of a sudden.

Along with those, few other of my favorites are Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Smash Brothers.

Years
  • I made my top 25 n64 list a while back; for some reason I feel like I forgot something from this list.

1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Paper Mario
    3. Donkey Kong 64
    4. Super Mario 64
    5. Mario Kart
    6. Conkers Bad Fur Day
    7. Kirby Crystal Shards
    8. Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
    9. Star Fox 64
    10. Mario Party Series
    11. Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
    12. Pokemon Stadium 2
    13. Mischief Makers
    14. SSB64
    15. Yoshi's Story
    16. Mario Golf
    17. Clayfighters
    18. Quest 64
    19. Diddy Kong Racing
    20. Pokemon Snap
    21. Killer Instinct Gold
    22. Chameleon Twist 2
    23. Gauntlet Legends
    24. Space Station Silicon Valley
    25. Bomberman 64

I know, no Majora's Mask. I never had a chance to play it, and hope it will be released on the 3ds. Also, 007 was pretty close to making the list, I am just not a fan of first-shooters most of the time.

I have made the underrated/less-known games bold.

Last edited:

Rellek

Believe
    Years
  • First video game EVER: Starfox 64

Freaking love this console. It holds so many memories and has shaped who I am today. I'm so glad my first game was a Nintendo one because I think I would've turned into a terrible person had I started with anything else. Paper Mario holds the most significance over me being my favourite RPG ever (Even above pokemon!) Pokemon Stadium is obviously a favourite as well as 2 and I never played Ocarina of Time. Go ahead and shun me.

Back