• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dodrio Based NU Team [Advice Wanted]

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
Intro

Hey all! I am back with my 3rd RMT. As the title suggests, this team is in the NU tier and is based around Dodrio. Now, I decided to use Dodrio because of a suggestion my friend gave me. He claimed that Dodrio + Thrash + Choice Band was something to behold. I threw this team together to test the theory. Not only was he correct, but I went undefeated on the Pokemon Showdown latter with this team for quite sometime. My purpose here is to share this team, but I need a bit of advice on a Poke or two. Without anymore waiting, here is the team preview.

Team Preview

Dodrio:
Dodrio is the basis of this team. Every Poke here revolves around him. Read the intro to see why I chose him.

Charizard:
To pair with Dodrio's physical sweeping qualities, I needed a strong special attacker. Charizard was an obvious choice, matching well with the team's synergy.

Vileplume:
To soak up any water or electric moves coming in on Charizard or Dodrio, I have Vileplume. It works wonders as it can induce sleep and has a decent STAB-type coverage.

Musharna:
Musharna's purpose is to tank any incoming threats to Vileplume. I am a bit on the fence about her moveset, but I will get to that later.

Skuntank:
Skuntank's main job is to take hits for Vileplume and Musharna. It is my main form of defense against any ghosts such Misdreavus or Golurk. Psychic types such as opposing Musharna's or Gardevoir's can hardly do anything to this critter. A very useful tool to the team.

Golurk:
Lastly, we have Golurk. Golurk... If any Pokemon gets replaced, it's probably going to be him. The only useful things he has done was set up rocks for any Charizard or Masquerain, or block a Thunderbolt. Other than that, he hasn't done much and I am willing to take him out. (Actually it doesn't have a gender but you get the point.)

Movesets

Now that you have a feel for what the team is all about, here is a quick glimpse at their movesets.

Dodrio (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Thrash
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 176 HP / 168 Atk / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- DynamicPunch

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Signal Beam

Skuntank (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Charizard (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Concerns

This team is very good in my opinion. It has the capability to win a tournament. This is a list of the only things I am seeking advice for.
-Musharna's Moveset:
Should I run signal beam or heal bell? I have some physical attackers that don't want to take a burn, but then again after 3 or 4 calm minds, I don't want to switch out due to a Skuntank or Cacturn.

-Golurk:
It hasn't done much for the team. Rocks aren't too necessary. No one else on the team carries hazards, so blocking spins isn't too important.

-Spinners:
My team can easily be withered down by hazard/stall teams, so adding a spinner is very crucial. The problem is I don't know who to add and where to add them.

-FWG core:
Should I just go ahead and complete the FWG core? I have Charizard and Vileplume...

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks for the help!

P.S.
Sorry I couldn't add any sprites or animated sprites for visual aid, but the site won't allow me to link anything until I have a total of 15 posts.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Don't bother with Thrash on Dodrio; it's an inferior Outrage that can be blocked by Ghosts. Return is still the better option.

A Bold nature is preferred on Calm Mind Musharna, as its Defense isn't boosted by Calm Mind. Change the EV spread to 240 HP/252 Def/16 SDef.

Torkoal and Armaldo are Rapid Spinners and Stealth Rock setters in one; either can be used over Golurk:

Torkoal:
-Lava Plume
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Yawn
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: White Smoke

or
-Shell Smash
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: White Herb

Armaldo:
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Rock Blast/Rock Slide
-X-Scissor/Knock Off
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Ability: Battle Armor

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
But since it's choice banded, it wouldn't matter if it got blocked by a ghost because Return is too. I use it to take advantage of Dodrio's ability. I think I will keep thrash. I will do the Musharna change. However, the problem is both Torkoal and Armaldo don't fit too well with the synergy. I will try both and keep you updated.

Also, I don't really have a special wall after the change to Musharna, so I have to find some type of EV spread that works.

UPDATE: I lost nearly every single game with the changes :/

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
But since it's choice banded, it wouldn't matter if it got blocked by a ghost because Return is too. I use it to take advantage of Dodrio's ability. I think I will keep thrash. I will do the Musharna change. However, the problem is both Torkoal and Armaldo don't fit too well with the synergy. I will try both and keep you updated.

Also, I don't really have a special wall after the change to Musharna, so I have to find some type of EV spread that works.

UPDATE: I lost nearly every single game with the changes :/

Keep Armaldo. It's the rest of the team that needs work.

Another Pokémon to consider is Sawk, who can beat the Rocks and Steels that plague Dodrio:
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Reversal/Toxic
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker/Sturdy

Golurk can stay, thanks to its ability to absorb Electric moves aimed at Dodrio.

Musharna also stays because it also beats Rock Pokémon; it can also use Heal Bell.

I think Ludicolo deserves a mention for a special wall:
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Toxic/Scald
-Ice Beam
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Ability: Rain Dish

An additional hazard setter like Garbodor might not be a bad idea:
-Spikes
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch/Toxic Spikes
-Clear Smog/Giga Drain
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath

or
-Spikes
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch/Toxic Spikes
-Seed Bomb
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Air Balloon/Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath

Edit: here's yet another reason why you shouldn't use Thrash. If Dodrio uses it, then it'll be forced to stay in battle, which is very problematic if a Steel or Rock Pokémon, which can shrug off Thrash, switches in.

Last edited:
Back