• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokémon Contests

Years
  • With the introduction of Ruby and Sapphire came Pokémon Contests. Contests were split up between two rounds: Preliminary and Appeal. In the preliminary round, the audience judged which of the four Pokémon was the best towards the type of contest (cool/beauty/cute/smart/tough), and based on the Pokémon's condition towards one of those five categories. The secondary round was the round in which Pokémon showed off their moves in front of a judge.

Did you guys participate in Pokémon Contests? Which contest category did you commonly participate in? What did you enjoy about Pokémon Contests the most?

Years
  • If I wasn't doing a challenge and just a regular playthrough, then yes, I would enter constests. I liked being able to win something other than a Gym Badge and I found the concept of Pokemon Contests very interesting. I went for the Cool Contests the majority of the time because I always had at least one Pokemon with at least 2 Cool moves. I enjoyed the fact that you couldn't just enter a random Pokemon and win Contests, but that you had to things such as make PokeBlocks to improve it's Coolness, Toughness, Cuteness, Beauty or Smartness, and also how a Pokemon's Nature played a part there, too. The thing I liked best about Contests was using moves in front of the judges. The first reason being that I liked how different moves had different effects on the scoring, there was actually quite a bit of variety which was nice. Furthermore, you knew how far in front or behind you were in relation to other Contestants, and obviously being the last part of the Contest, it added a bit of tension and you'd get into it more.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    I adored the contests, and everything surrounding them. They were incredibly fun, and it gave me a secondary objective to focus on - as well as secondary things to consider in some of my Pokémon.

Only once did I ever actually finish a set of contests. Congratulations my Cool (Maybe smart? I don't remember), Master-Rank-winning Metagross from years ago.

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
    Years
  • Cute & Beauty is my first contest i join! Its easy but its hard to once you in competition the most great appeal & moves too. And face the judges XD. Just try and try until you raise the top to be a pokemon champion contest . (i can do it myself in game) also in smart, tough and cool.

Years
  • Do you like the Pokémon Contests?

Well, the title says it all: Do you like Pokémon Contests?
    Me? I don't like or dislike Pokémon Contests. I just participate in Contests if I'm bored or something.
    What about you? When you played RSE, did you participated in the Pokemon Contest?

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I loved doing the contests. Especially the cool category. Just seemed so much easier for me to do compared to the others. xD It helped me pass time in the games when I would get bored with doing the gyms. It would allow me to show off my most prized pokemon for that category. Even if it was just to a bunch of AI. xD Contests were by far my favorite thing to do in those games :p

Years
  • I remember doing contests a bit back early when RS were new, and I even did some in Emerald but it wasn't something I found myself consistently coming back to. There was one that I read about getting a Claydol with Cosmic Power to dominate, but when I was at the Master Rank that didn't really work out.

Years
  • I loved the R/S/E contests so much. ;w; My best friend irl at the time and I participated a lot hoping to get ribbons and for the thrill of it all, since seeing who would win the master rank was always exciting with how difficult it was for us. They're by far my favorite Pokemon side feature.. Hoenn is amazing in that regard. Sadly I really disliked the contests that followed in future gens, minus the contests in the third gen remakes.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was a fan of the contesting system they had in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. It was a nice alternative to battling, which is a core aspect of Pokémon games.

In terms of participation, I had taken part in about five to six of them in total in my first run of Ruby version, if I remember right, which was all based on their "cool" category. The Pokémon I had found myself entering with most of time was Blaziken, as it was sort of my focus back then; I would use it for more or less everything, from battling some random trainer, all the way to taking on an Elite Four.

I've found the berry-mixture mini-game (I can't my finger on its exact name right now, sadly) to be pretty enjoyable as well; going through it was mandatory in order to get a hold of Poké Blocks, if I remember right. It had tendency to have us button-mash, which is one thing that had made the game so fun in my eyes.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I usually competed in the Cool or Tough contests. I only teach my pokemon damaging moves, so. I really enjoyed the change of pace from just battling.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Ugh YES. I've always loved the Contests so much since they were introduced, I obtained the Glass Ornament a few times in previous playthroughs too. I do wish that the ORAS contests would be as challenging as these contests used to be, I used to spend so much time trying to blend the perfect berries.

Years
  • I remember trying these contests out, and they were always a roll the dice game in my opinion since it was a battle to get the most points by stealing the audience's attention, and the opposition always tries to disrupt and annoy you to take points off.

Then of course I had that moment in my original Ruby where I randomly won a Master Rank Beauty Contest with a Roselia whose moveset wasn't even tailored well to the contest (she only had one Beauty move, in a set that had four different categories shown) but somehow narrowly beat out an opponent's Electrode. I still have yet to win a Master Rank contest in OR/AS, but I imagine they'll be tough thanks to Lisia and her spotlight-stealing Altaria.

Back