• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ORAS Mono-Type Tournament

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
Years
  • I'd like to join as well~ Psychic on the Showdown Division~
    Although i do have a Question. Will it be following Smogon's Mono-Type tier list? Found here --->>> http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-tiering-updates.3493087/page-16#post-5694854
    i know that the 6th slot is a wild card pkMn if that's the rite term 4 it, but nonetheless~

Oh I didn't know they had Mono-Type Tiers, though it seems to pretty much cover their usual banlist. Though the type only bans kinda of confuse me - for instance Aegislash is banned on steel teams but it doesn't say anything about ghost teams. So they allow Aegislash for ghost?

JustJeff

Striving for Rank #1
    Years
  • Oh I didn't know they had Mono-Type Tiers, though it seems to pretty much cover their usual banlist. Though the type only bans kinda of confuse me - for instance Aegislash is banned on steel teams but it doesn't say anything about ghost teams. So they allow Aegislash for ghost?

I kinda play Mono-Type a lot so yeah, they do~
    Also Genesect on Bug Teams. N the general T-Flame Ban~ ;)
    Soooo.... is it implemented? Or perhaps later you'll come to a conclusion~

Xairmo

Years
  • I kinda play Mono-Type a lot so yeah, they do~
    Also Genesect on Bug Teams. N the general T-Flame Ban~ ;)
    Soooo.... is it implemented? Or perhaps later you'll come to a conclusion~

I'll take more time to study that link before the start of the tournament - I just don't want to implement something before I fully understand it haha Thank you for sharing the link, I may consult you if I have more questions :]

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    i suggest following standard ou rules and not monotype rules. some of us are unfamiliar with the monotype rules and banned pokemon and it might take some time for certain people to familiarize themselves with the rules. on top of that, most of us are already accustomed to standard ou rules so yea.

Xairmo

Years
  • i suggest following standard ou rules and not monotype rules. some of us are unfamiliar with the monotype rules and banned pokemon and it might take some time for certain people to familiarize themselves with the rules. on top of that, most of us are already accustomed to standard ou rules so yea.

I haven't made a decision yet, but the it seems that the clauses remain the same in Mono-Type Tiers yet it seems the banlist is slightly different. If I do decide to adopt those rules I'll post everything that you'll need to know in the first post. It's unavoidable that some types have many useful, versatile, higher tiering Pokemon than other types that have much slimmer pickings - for instance why they banned Aegislash only on Steel teams yet not for Ghost teams. But like I said, I haven't decided yet and I assume others will voice their opinions as well. I'll likely go with whichever rule set seems more favorable to everyone.

srinator

Normal ou is better imo, since we all get a wild card too. The monotype rules were set with 6 mono type mins in mind, so a grass mono in no way can handle talonflame bar sash sacking something.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • Would I be able to sign up for the normal type in showdown?

Type: normal
    Battle server name: Impo

Xairmo

Years
  • Impo and ganesha, you've both been added to the list!

Regarding if we'll be going by Standard OU or Smogon's Monotype Tier, I'm leaning towards standard at the moment just cuz only three people have voiced an opinion so far and it's 2:1 in favor of standard. There are still 4 days left until the battles start, so speak now if you want to chime in on the matter.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I have a question, actually :) :

I know our types remain the same, but do movesets and Pokemon have to?
    Or can they change between battles?

Xairmo

Years
  • I have a question, actually :) :

I know our types remain the same, but do movesets and Pokemon have to?
    Or can they change between battles?

That's a good question, I should clarify that:

The type you choose is what you have to stick with for the duration of the tournament - but the Pokémon, Movesets, EVs, etc. can change from round to round as long as you're still using at least 5 Pokémon of the type you chose.

Edit: I added this along with some other news to the first post, so please have a look. Feel free to post any questions you have, I encourage them!

Last edited:

ganesha

The Graphical Master
    Years
  • Smogon's Monotype tier won't be good as people would willing to use a Pokémon of different type as you gave the allowance, so Standard OU is only possible.

Xairmo

Years
  • Alright it seems pretty much in favor of Standard OU, so that's pretty much settled - still open for more opinions tho so feel free!

One more thing I should point out:

If you're running a Greninja on your team, please make sure to check befor each of your battles if they've reached a verdict in the Suspect Testing. I'll make an update to the first post as soon as I'm privy to such information.

Xairmo

Years
  • Why not just ban greninja for the tournament, all in favour like this post.
    Even if it's inevitable that he'll be banned, I don't wanna make a premature call on the matter - I don't know what the other participants were planning in regards to him so the best I can do is remind everyone that his status is in limbo and to prepare for the inevitable.

timemagetim

Timemagetim
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2015
    I had him on my OU team on showdown anyway and cant use him now so i dont think it matters if he gets banned or not (he will be) he wont be allowed to be used on the OU anyway while he is being suspect tested.

srinator

Even if it's inevitable that he'll be banned, I don't wanna make a premature call on the matter - I don't know what the other participants were planning in regards to him so the best I can do is remind everyone that his status is in limbo and to prepare for the inevitable.

It's not about being premature, it's about what's right. That shit is broken yo and is p much gonna be the win condition of water teams.

Xairmo

Years
  • Last day for sign-ups, Round 1 matches to be posted after midnight. Happy New Year.

Back