• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

POKEMON: THE PARALLELS

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
Years
  • INTRODUCTION
    Well, I'm Magneto20, and I come from a ROM-hacking team of two. We've been working on our debut hack called Septo Conquest (I'm sure there is a thread about that somewhere on here). Anyway, we're well on the way to completing it, and we've been throwing around ideas for our sophomore effort. Without further ado, I present to you a mindboggingly different and interesting concept which is without a doubt miles different from a usual Pokemon hack.

CONCEPT OF POKEMON: THE PARALLELS
    For any of you who have played the Sega Saturn game Dark Saviour, the mechanics of this hack might seem familar (yeah, that game is the inspiration of that game, which was fantastic). Pokemon: The Parallels is basically three games in one. In each version of the game, the main character, Lance (the Elite 4 Lance, but with a radically enhanced personality) traverses the land (yet to be named), in search of his memories (he's an amnesiac). In each game, he gets caught up in a series of quite different events. I'll give you an example:
    In one section of the game, Lance will arrive at a town called Galuf Town. In each version of the game (called a parallel), a different event will happen:
    Parallel 1: All the townspeople are dead, having being killed by 2 psychopathic criminal genuises. Galuf Tower, a tall building housing ancient Pokemon and talismans, has been trashed and as a result Lance can only explore the ground floor, where the only survivor challenges Lance to a Pokemon battle as he believes Lance is in league with the aforementioned 2 criminals.
    Parallel 2: Lance arrives in Galuf Town, and as in Parallel 2 the 2 criminal psychopaths have already been defeated and killed, all the townspeople are alive and buslting. Galuf Tower has been trashed so Lance is free to explore the entire tower, whereupon he can meet the person he battled with in Parallel 1, but doesn't fight him (as the person has no reason to attack him as the tower has been trashed).
    Parallel 3: A cosmic disaster rips apart the land and the townspeople all flee in terror, leaving the entire of Galuf Town (and Galuf Tower) completely empty.

As you might be able to see, all the events are different in each 'Parallel' game, but the land remains basically the same. And now, onto the...

THE STORY
    The first leg of the story, and the only part of the story that remains the same in all 3 Parallels of the game, finds Lance arriving on a small island. He is amnesiac and does not know much about himself. He heads to a lab where a professor claiming to be his friend gives him a choice of Pokemon (for now, Dratini, Bagon and Trapinch). The Showman and Carl Phasno, 2 criminals in search of legendary Pokemon so they can become the world's most powerful trainers, burst into the lab demanding information from the professor. This is where the game then splits into the 3 different parallel storylines of the hack:
    Parallel 1 The Quest for the Legendaries: The Showman and Carl Phasno kill the professor and destroy the communications system, then flee. The world then doesn't know that the Showman and Carl Phasno are on a rampage to find 10 legendary Pokemon, and Lance must track them down and defeat them.
    Parallel 2 The Quest for the Memories: In this parallel, Lance defeats the Showman and Carl Phasno in the lab, so they are no longer a threat. Lance then spends the rest of this parallel regaining his memory, finding familiar faces and battling against other threats.
    Parallel 3 The Quest for the Dimensions: The Showman and Carl Phasno escape the lab but the communications system isn't destroyed, so the professor can warn the world against the 2 criminals and Lance can find and defeat them much quicker. But then SOMETHING (I won't say, it'll spoil the whole hack) really bad happens, bringing all 3 parallels together for an epic conflict. Cities get destroyed, people panic and Lance must hunt down the person who is responsible for the mess. This parallel brings all the storylines together so leaves no questions or storylines up in the air.

So what do you think? Constructive criticism welcome! Also, if you have any questions about this, post it on this thread and I'll answer it the next time I come on here.

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
  • You're in the wrong section, but since it's a story, it doesn't really matter. Nice story, it's different to say the least. I think it'll be rather difficult to incorporate into a game, though.

Also, I wanted to know, these parallels, as you call them; are they set in different dimensions? It might be the same region, but a different dimension of the region. In which case, the parallels will be in the same time (like, the same year, etc.). Or are they set in the same dimension where the time changes and one parallel comes before the other?

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
    Years
  • You're in the wrong section, but since it's a story, it doesn't really matter. Nice story, it's different to say the least. I think it'll be rather difficult to incorporate into a game, though.

Also, I wanted to know, these parallels, as you call them; are they set in different dimensions? It might be the same region, but a different dimension of the region. In which case, the parallels will be in the same time (like, the same year, etc.). Or are they set in the same dimension where the time changes and one parallel comes before the other?

The Parallels are indeed set in different dimensions, but in the same region. The parallels are all set in the same time and run alongside each other (hence the name Parallels). The dimensions all come together at the end of the 3rd one, so everything will make perfect sense.

Also, what section should I be in?

Back