• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genre of the week: Tragedy

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • Sweet, I thought of a genre that's not completely out there.

This genre actually has some really interesting history to go along with it. Beside's being Shakespeare's favorite genre (I'm guessing, but practically all of his plays were tragedies, so I think it's a safe guess), it was a favorite among citizens of Ancient Greece. Most of the plays that people were performing at that time were tales of how rich and powerful people lost it all at the end and how they would try to get it back. I also read that if people didn't like the play, they would hiss and spit at the stage, so you definitely knew whether or not your play was popular, haha.

This genre isn't as popular as it used to be, I feel, because a lot of people prefer their happy endings. A few searches for recently released tragedies yielded a bunch of movie set accidents, so I'm not sure if that's going to bring up anything. Still, if you have any recent examples, share them!

Bay

Years
  • Shakespeare did a lot of comedies too, actually, but I don't think they're as known as his tragedies. We talked about him a bit in the Fanfic's DCC thread, but yeah I think the three plays I've read of his Hamlet is the one I sorta enjoyed the most part.

Besides Shakespeare, one of my English classes touch upon the Oedipus trilogy a bit, but we only read some excerpts here and there. As for recent examples, I know the manga/anime Tokyo Ghoul often considers itself one due to its premise of ghouls and humans living together (pretty ultra violent however, haha).

Back