• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone else have difficulty choosing a starter?

dudealmighty

The Very Best
Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    I can be so indecisive sometimes. Especially in the first three generations. ~_~

Last edited:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • For me, it depends on the generation. I always pick Charmander out of the Kanto starters, but may choose one of the others if I feel like playing as a different one for a change. When I choose from the Hoenn and Johto starters, I always have trouble deciding which ones to have. When the Sinnoh and Unova starters were first revealed, I had trouble deciding which to have until their evolutions were revealed. However, when the trailer for X/Y was first revealed, I already knew right away that Fennekin was the one, even after seeing its evolutions. As for Sun/Moon, I'm currently torn between Rowlett and Litten and if those leaked evolutions turn out to be real, I still won't be able to decide.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Sometimes I do.

If it is the Hoenn or Sinnoh starters then I definitely have to give it some thought, those two sets are my favourite of any Region's starter Pokemon. Unova was quite simple for me as I much preferred Tepig to the other two, I only ended up using Snivy in my second run as I'd already used Tepig for my first. Generally it just depends on the game I'm playing and what mood I'm in when starting a game tbh.

Years
  • I never really felt torn between starters, since it's usually the Water-type that I end up using. Sinnoh however did put me in a situation where I was confused over who the best starter was, and over time I learned it was Chimchar.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    It's cool how you guys are just so certain. Most of the starters are so good. >_<

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    For me personally, I've already decided which ones I'll pick (unless of course a cat pokemon, such as Meowth or Litleo is available as a starter in a hack)

[Generation I]
    Bulbasaur

[Generation II]
    Totodile

[Generation III]
    Treecko

[Generation IV]
    Chimchar

[Generation V]
    Snivy

[Generation VI]
    Fennekin

[Generation VII]
    Litten

But as mentioned before, if I can just have a Meowth (or any other cat Pokemon), then that would immediately replace all options (except Litten, which is a cat).

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • Even though i only played up to Gen 3 it's easy to pick. The first 4 gens i'd use the fire starter, Gen 5 Snivy and Gen 6 Froakie (even though Delphox looks cool). The only other non-fire starter i'd pick is Treecko since it's really cool, but there's Torchic/Blaziken too so...

Guest123_x1

Usually, I tend to pick whichever starter has the most advantage early in the game, especially against the first two gyms. However, with Sun/Moon, as much as I love Popplio, my decision for starting out in Alola would be tough, especially since all indications seem to point to gyms being removed from the main series games now.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Choosing a Starter has always been easy for me. I always pick the Fire Starter on my first playthrough of any Pokemon game. Fire is my favorite type, and the Fire Starter is my favorite in every generation (Gen 5 being the exception, as I like Samurott slightly more than Emboar).

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I have two siblings and it's always been that I get the fire starter, and they get the water and grass starters. By now I don't tend to think anymore about which starter I get to choose, because it's already become... predetermined? Haha. But that's more for Gen 4 and higher. Gens 1 - 3 are closer to "pick whichever you want".

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm never indecisive because I know I can just replay it and chose the other starter next time! So it's not like I'm ONLY ever going to choose that one, right?

I also pick the starter that I like the most when I first saw it if it's evolutions are decent! So, Charmander, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Piplup I think, Snivy, Froakie. Hey, I think that's two of each type.

Okay I lied actually. I was pretty indecisive in Unova because I personally was not fond of any of the starter evolutions at ALL. Picked the lesser of all evils, Serperior. They slowly grew on me... maybe. Samurott not so much :X

Years
  • For the majority of the starters, I've never really had a problem choosing. My only issue came from choosing between Squirtle and Charmander, or Treecko and Mudkip. For the rest I have an out and out favourite, that being said I love to go back and playthrough the games with different starters.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • At first I had a hard time to choose a starter, but after 5 generation I realized I ended up choosing the grass type each time I play the game the first time. So no, I want to start with the grass starter to continue the tradition :)

I end up playing the game more than once tho, so I end up choosing all of them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I make it easy for myself by being a creature of habit. I'm not the most decisive person, but I quickly took a liking to water type starters, and I've picked the water type for my main file every generation.

Having two games helps, because I can easily trade myself the other starters early on and avoid missing out on much (though I didn't start doing that until late in the second gen). When starting a permanent file on my second version, I either pick whichever of the other two starters I like best, or if I really don't like the other starters, I just pick the water type again.

I'll admit, though, I don't use Bulbasaur and Charmander enough, because I love Squirtle. I pretty much only pick the other two as starters on challenge runs.

hoboNEET

Waiting For The Apocalypse
    Years
  • I pick my starter based on the game color, so with say FireRed, I always start with Charmander. As for games like Silver/Gold and others which are not Red/Blue/Green oriented, I then pick the middle Pokemon or if my trainer sprite is say... Red, then once again, I would go with Charmander or whichever Pokemon has the same color=type situation.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Only on 2nd playthroughs. Favorites are easy to pick, 2nd and third are not.

Wüfzhéévk

Ǵ̸͙̘͐̓ͅl̷̚͠͝? ?? �̝i̷͕͊t̵̠̼̹̆c? ?� �̣̭̓h̷̻̰̭̏͊e̵
    Years
  • I choosed:
    Gen I: Bulbasaur
    Gen II: Cindaquil
    Gen III: Mudkip
    Gen IV: Piplup
    Gen V: Tepig
    Gen VI: Chespin
    Gen VII: Rowlet

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Until this generation, I always knew there would be 3 games, and I would eventually over time get the second version, and the third would be released later on.
    So in my first/main version I choose my top favorite, and so on from there. Sadly for this reason I may have to buy another Y version to get my own Froakie but I don't mind replaying an XY game again. I know it seems pointless to play both the main versions, but once I've done it once it's no big deal to do another one. I really just want to go through with another team of that gen/game's Pokemon I like. :P

Sirfetch’d

When I doubt, I always pick the water starter! I never usually have trouble though because I make sure to play through with all of them once eventually. It doesn't matter to me much which one I use first!

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • I tend to actually look at each one's relative power and base stat totals, and then looking at each one's moves and ability.

Back