• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I need to get back to my Wonderlocke. Like I was almost done with it last time I played. I only have the Elite Four left. I'm so happy I managed to get a Torchic off WT before the 8th gym. I lost my only Fire types I had from before and I can't stand not having a Fire type and my Linoone needed to be replaced before it got itself killed since it's...a Linoone.

Years
    • Seen today
    The Cycling Road Challenge (R/S/E, I haven't played ORAS but I think it's also doable)

When you arrive at Mauville City, you must immediately get a Mach Bike from Rydel. Then you must go and traverse Cycling Road as fast as you can while avoiding collisions (getting the "Bravo" text from the guy at the end). You cannot continue your run unless this challenge is completed (although you may try as many times as you want to).

I feel like this adds a technical aspect to the game that will help gamers grow.
    This is a skill that all Pokémon players should have.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • That's kind of what it's been like for me in my Wedlocke thread, haha. Even i'm too lazy to talk about what i've done with it for two of my current ones...

But it's a shame the Mono-Color doesn't get more credit. :P Some day i'll get back to my Red Ultimate (just both Generation IV games left) and my Blue Ultimate (Kanto, Johto and Unova).
    Yeah, Monocolor has never really been super popular, but there have been people like Chevitile and myself of course who were and are committed to doing all the colors through the first 5 gens at least. I'm on my last color, Purple, with only Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova left as of now, unless I decide to get a 3DS. Unfortunately, I don't know how I can justify buying one only for X/Y/ORAS, as I've never been much of a handheld gamer besides Pokémon, although the 3DS does have more capabilities than previous cartridge systems, and is way cheaper than console. I would probably use it enough just playing X/Y to finish monotypes and monocolors but it might get old really fast playing the same game over and over. Maybe when the next Kalos game comes out, if there is one?

Your task is to convince me why I should buy a 3DS besides for Pokemon, keeping in mind that I work full time and dont really want to become more antisocial than I already am.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    Hey guys. I know this may seem like a really stupid irrelevant question but I have no idea where else to add this. How do people add those awesome Pokemon sprites and everything while posting updates on 'challenges' threads? Can someone please atleast point me in the right direction with respect to where I can have this answered.

Thanks in advance!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Hey guys. I know this may seem like a really stupid irrelevant question but I have no idea where else to add this. How do people add those awesome Pokemon sprites and everything while posting updates on 'challenges' threads? Can someone please atleast point me in the right direction with respect to where I can have this answered.

Thanks in advance!

Add IMG tags around the URL of an Image.

For Example:
    [IMG ]http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/noibat.gif[/IMG]

Remove the space in the IMG tag, and you get this:
    noibat.gif

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2015
    I suggest a Nuzlocke variant called the Babylocke. What you have to do is use only Basic Pokemon. It doesn't count if the Pokemon is Legendary or doesn't have an evolution. You have to get through the game without evolving them. Nuzlocke rules apply

I also suggest someone does a Youngster Joey run, which is basically a Rattata Solo Run.

Hope you guys like the ideas

:chu:

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2016
    I dunno if there's already an idea like this, but how about you crowdsource for backstories your Pokemon would have and their restrictions are based on their backstories?

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    I've been bumping this around my skull for a week. It's called the Starterlocke Challenge.
    The only rule that's different from a regular Nuzlocke is you can only use starter pokemon-that is, only pokemon you would normally choose from at the start of your adventure. I mean, every Nuzlocke I've played has by and large ignored starters for the intended purpose of focusing on pokemon I've never really used before, and now I'm wondering if I can use a combination of starters and only starters and have the same level of enjoyment.
    The problem is, most games only have one starter! So unless you're trying to go solo it's not feasible. My solution was to turn to the universal randomizer, but then you end up with level 3 Typhlosions and such before you even hit a gym.
    Obviously that leaves 2 ways to do it: Pokémon Yellow or a hack that hands out starters such as Omega Fire Red. I ended up working on my own hack instead, making simple tweaks and additions to make the challenge viable. Here's what I have so far:
    -You can only use main series starters, including Pikachu and Eevee from Yellow or any of the pokemon featured as starters in the hack (mine has Cubone in addition to Eevee and Pikachu)
    -You cannot have more than one of the same type on your team unless all of one type are dead. For example: you cannot have a Chikorita and a Treecko on your team while you have a fire and a water type, but if your water choices are extinct then you may have one more fire or one more grass type.
    -Faint is death, and death means box.
    -You can only capture one of each starter.
    -You must nickname your pokemon

If this looks good I'll draw up a thorough post and package my hack tonight and submit it. Again, the hack is pretty much exclusively for this challenge but it can be attempted in Yellow, a randomized game, or Omega Fire Red and possibly Liquid Crystal (I seem to remember acquiring a second Cyndaquil)

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Yeah, Monocolor has never really been super popular, but there have been people like Chevitile and myself of course who were and are committed to doing all the colors through the first 5 gens at least. I'm on my last color, Purple, with only Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova left as of now, unless I decide to get a 3DS. Unfortunately, I don't know how I can justify buying one only for X/Y/ORAS, as I've never been much of a handheld gamer besides Pokémon, although the 3DS does have more capabilities than previous cartridge systems, and is way cheaper than console. I would probably use it enough just playing X/Y to finish monotypes and monocolors but it might get old really fast playing the same game over and over. Maybe when the next Kalos game comes out, if there is one?

Your task is to convince me why I should buy a 3DS besides for Pokemon, keeping in mind that I work full time and dont really want to become more antisocial than I already am.

Have you seen my solos? I'm kind of doing what you're doing with colors, but with solos. I'm only doing fully evolved Pokemon because speed button on emulator makes it too hard to stop evolution every level. Right now I've made it through Cloyster I think, and have already done Starmie and Lapras. So... It's coming along. TBH though, I like just playing blue over and over and over. Maybe because it's blue, and just takes an hour or so to play through on speed, but I've literally played through the same game 4 times in a day. Not my proudest moment but meh.

If you can afford it, then why not buy a 3DS? Even if you just bust it out once a week or so, might as well, and you'll be making progress.

Years
  • A challenge a friend of mine and i do all the time is one we called the gymlocke challenge (although i know that name is used by another challenge its really one mame that fits).

Basic rules to it are:
    1. You must catch one and only one pokemon after each gym. For example when going to face the 8th gym you should 7 total caught pokemon. This includes HM slaves
    2. A pokemon dies its considered dead
    3. You cannot use a pokemon center in a town untill you beat its pokemon gym
    4. Due the the difficulty of the challenge an optional rule you can add is that after each gym battle you are allowed one revive.

I really enjoy this challenge becuase it forces you to plan out what to catch and when.

Jonaturnip

Tune Up the Turnips
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    I was interested in an egglocke challenge the only problem would be that everyone would have to have to contribute to the egglocke by making eggs (with pokemon inside) but the main problem is that everyone would have to play the same exact version (hacked or not)

And of course make legitimate eggs or not. Depending on preference I mean some guy made me deal with a ditto that of course knew transform but it also knew tackle, thunderbolt, and you guessed it hyperbeam.

Rules are almost exactly like a nuzlocke:
    1.a) You must capture the first pokemon of every route or cave.
    1.b)You must replace said pokemon with a random egg from the pc and rare candy it to the level of replaced pokemon.
    2.) If it's dead. It stays dead.
    3.)etc

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Egglockes could be fun, it's just a matter of people contributing eggs and having a storage game to do that with. I know some people are either constantly replaying or they finish the game and just stockpile on there. I think I'm in a minority sometimes with having one storage game each gen while the other games of that gen are for restarting.

Also guys, I've started blogging my Pick Up and Play Challenge for the summer. It's not a very popular challenge when I make it public, so I just decided to do it myself. If it gains enough popularity, I'll consider making a thread, but right now, it's just being blogged. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give it a read sometime! I usually post a new entry each night. n__n

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2017
    Hello, I have tried to come up with something interesting. This type of locke will be known as the card-locke. All you need is a deck of playing cards, and a dice..
    Next you must sort them, you must remove all cards besides Joker, King, Queen, Jack, Ace, 9, and 10.

Standard nuzlocke rules apply.
    First all of the cards mean something.
    When you encounter a pokemon or gift you must draw a card for it.
    Ace- Basically a normal pokemon. There is a cool chance if you catch a legendary, and draw an ace you may use the legendary.
    King- The king is the leader of the party and is a manly person. He is a hardcore person and can only use attacking moves. Also the king can evolve. (Must be male if the pokemon is female just redraw.)
    Queen(AKA the Princess)-If you draw this card for the pokemon, the pokemon is immediately boxed till you save her from the next gym(Tower). (Must be female, if not reroll.)
    Jack-They can evolve. Also they can have any moveset but, any attacking moves must be less or equal to than 60 power.
    9 and 10- These guys are the pawns. They may NOT evolve but may have any moveset.
    Jokers- These guys can have NO attacking moves whatsoever. (Optional- Must have a stupid name)

Years
  • I Need Some Ideas For Nuzlockes Please Help Me

There are quite a few that have been made but haven't been too successful. Try look at the nuzlockes in the forum, maybe some others around the internet and get some ideas from that. Little things like that can trigger a good idea. Maybe you can see what ones have worked, put 2 and 2 together and you could have something nice.

What about an egg group challenge?
    You would pick an egg group to do and then only use pokemon from that egg group (with some other rules)
    Or is this already a thing...

I can't seem to find any egg group challenges and it does seem like a pretty good idea so I'd say go for it! Just make sure you read the rules for creating the challenge so you get approved.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I had an idea about a challenge. Basically, you're restricted to moves based on their Nature and the move's contest stats.

Each Nature has a preferred flavor and contest stat - for example, Lonely is +Cool, -Cute. If you have a Pokemon that's Lonely, it can only use Cool moves. However, if you play like that, you'll have to ignore any Pokemon with neutral natures (because they have no flavor preferences).

If that's too difficult (you might end up catching something that won't learn any moves of its preferred type), you can instead reframe the rule as a ban against the type the Pokemon dislikes. If you play like that, a Lonely Pokemon could use any type but Cute.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I had an idea about a challenge. Basically, you're restricted to moves based on their Nature and the move's contest stats.

Each Nature has a preferred flavor and contest stat - for example, Lonely is +Cool, -Cute. If you have a Pokemon that's Lonely, it can only use Cool moves. However, if you play like that, you'll have to ignore any Pokemon with neutral natures (because they have no flavor preferences).

If that's too difficult (you might end up catching something that won't learn any moves of its preferred type), you can instead reframe the rule as a ban against the type the Pokemon dislikes. If you play like that, a Lonely Pokemon could use any type but Cute.

This idea does sound like it could work. I'd say you could go for it if you want, considering there a quite a lot of moves for each constest-type-move-thingy (i.e. cool, smart etc. lol). Just make sure you make the rules clear because not everyone might fully understand. Also, have a fair few natures, evenly distributed, for cool, smart etc. so it's not too hard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back