• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY handicapped ingame team - suggestions?

bossman34

Citizen of Kanto
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2018
    Im about to play Pokemon X for the first time. I bought OR first (since Gen 3 was my 2nd favorite behind Kanto) and put about 100 hours into it. Now that its mostly complete, I picked up a copy of X.

This time I want to make it a challenge for myself, I don't want to just run through the game with minimal difficulty like I have with the rest. I am self imposing a base stat handicap on the pokemon I can use on my team (besides the starter!). At first I was thinking below 500 (499 and under), but now I have been contemplating even 450 or 400! I have heard turning off EXP share makes it hard but I would rather keep it on and use weaker pokemon.

Which base stat total should I use as my limit? 499, 450 or 400?

Also I would love some suggestion on Pokemon to use! Thanks!

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • First of all to make the game harder set it on set mode and don't use hold items. Also limit your use of healing items, I limited myself to a max of 4 items per match and no revives or something like that because the elite four also only carries 4 items. This sort of makes you equal to the cpu trainers because none of them carry hold items, can't switch out when they defeat one of your pokémon or use unlimited items. The only real advantage you have is the fact you are human.

Only use exp share if you are leveling weak pokémon so you should only carry one leveled up pokémon so that you don't get overpowered. Don't hunt pokémon with benificial natures and don't ev train, because if you do that even with the above rules the game will be a cakewalk.

As for pokémon, its hard to say. X and Y have a lot of pokémon in the game and suggesting only some is very hard to say. Also base stat total doesn't really say much about how good a pokémon is. For example Gengar has 500 base stat total and is very strong and good. Talonflame has 499 total although with flamebody its not that great but for a playtrough still very good. But at the same time below 400 is almost only secondary forms or pokémon with no evolution line. If I were you I would just make a team of gen 6 Pokémon and go with that(I mean it is a gen6 game).

You could also try doing a nuzlock run. If you don't know what that is just google it or go to the challange boards. A lot of people have ideas there for a more challenging experience.

I hope I helped you with this and good luck with your run.

bossman34

Citizen of Kanto
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2018
    First of all to make the game harder set it on set mode and don't use hold items. Also limit your use of healing items, I limited myself to a max of 4 items per match and no revives or something like that because the elite four also only carries 4 items. This sort of makes you equal to the cpu trainers because none of them carry hold items, can't switch out when they defeat one of your pokémon or use unlimited items. The only real advantage you have is the fact you are human.

Only use exp share if you are leveling weak pokémon so you should only carry one leveled up pokémon so that you don't get overpowered. Don't hunt pokémon with benificial natures and don't ev train, because if you do that even with the above rules the game will be a cakewalk.

As for pokémon, its hard to say. X and Y have a lot of pokémon in the game and suggesting only some is very hard to say. Also base stat total doesn't really say much about how good a pokémon is. For example Gengar has 500 base stat total and is very strong and good. Talonflame has 499 total although with flamebody its not that great but for a playtrough still very good. But at the same time below 400 is almost only secondary forms or pokémon with no evolution line. If I were you I would just make a team of gen 6 Pokémon and go with that(I mean it is a gen6 game).

You could also try doing a nuzlock run. If you don't know what that is just google it or go to the challange boards. A lot of people have ideas there for a more challenging experience.

I hope I helped you with this and good luck with your run.

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably use a lot of this on my run. I'm not hardcore enough to nuzlocke though haha!

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Thanks for the tips! I'll probably use a lot of this on my run. I'm not hardcore enough to nuzlocke though haha!

No problem. Although in my opinion nuzlocke isn't really hardcore with most people still having shift mode and spamming healing items. It sort of ruins the challenge but yeah doing it with set mode AND limited healing is really challenging, I tried it on my OR and boy it was a heck of a challenge. My starter almost died in the beginning because of a seedot. I had to train my pokémon to at least level 55+ before challenging the e4 and just made it with one pokémon alive.

Also what I forgot to say is don't bond with your pokémon because it again gives an unfair advantage over your opponents.

Years
  • Like the others said, make sure you limit yourself from EV training and using the Exp. Share because if you use them too often you could get overpowered, and as Killer said above also avoid Pokemon Amie because that will also cause your Pokemon to do cheap tactics like dodging attacks or landing critical hits occasionally.

Nuzlockes however, can be played any way you want, and there's even various spinoffs of it with different restrictions like Personalocke (nature restrictions on team, can't put same natures or opposing natures together), Wedlocke (Pokemon are paired up into male + female pairs) and other various takes on the old Nuzlocke. Our Challenges section has a nice selection of challenges if you're looking for a new twist to your gameplay.

Back