• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Presence of character and yourself

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
When you're making an IC post, where do you try to put your mind during your writing? Do you take a backseat as simply an outsider watching in, looking on powerlessly as your character takes on a life of their own completing their tasks, goals, objectives and actions on their own with you as a captive within a movie theater having no say and only realizing what's been done after the fact? Are you the type to force yourself onto your character, or your character onto yourself to try and relate better to their motives and make decisions based on your combined consciousness? Are you a mix of both, or something else? Do you have a different style for different characters? Do you find that more aggressive characters seem to try and take control of their own stories more so than others?

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
Im in the "I am you" boat. I can adapt to their traits in my mind. But I like acting so maybe that y

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
Im in the "I am you" boat. I can adapt to their traits in my mind. But I like acting so maybe that y

Yeah, I'm the same way. I try to put myself in the mind of a character, a lot of times I can find links in my characters to bring myself into them. Sometimes it's more successful than other times <_<

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
Exactly as the word implies, I am role playing my character. I take on their role, I step inside their mindsets and pretend to be them.

I and my character are one. We have become all

Whoa where did that come from

but yeah in rare cases, if the content is very emotional, it can even make me cry. Just to give you an idea of the connection going on there. But most of the time it's just fun to pretend to be your character with different mindsets than you have, in an interesting world.

Years
I always try to get into the mindset of my characters and think as they would, even when writing minor characters. I think that's a sure fire way to produce your best writing regardless of your writing style.

Back