• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Mascots

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Zekrom and Reshiram are alright mascots, sure they look cool and they're pretty strong...

...but they ran away with a trainer instead of sticking to their post to protect Unova!

Which Unova Pokémon really deserved to be BW's mascots and why? :) How would this change the game?? Would have the games sold as well without these two?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I dunno, I don't think it's that bad that they left with a Trainer... They do have to stick to their hero, after all. And it's not so bad... sure, for a few years Unova didn't have their Dragons, but not only were they asleep for countless years so it's like they weren't there up until BW anyways, but
Spoiler:

I can't really imagine any other Pokémon working as the mascots of gen 5. It's not even really a matter of sales (although I do think they are among the most well-designed mascots); it's that their lore is custom-tailored to go along with the plot. Whichever Pokémon you'd hypothetically replace Reshiram/Zekrom with would have to have their lore changed to work with the plot, and by then they're not really the same Pokémon anymore. Or you'd have to change the story to work around the Pokémon's lore, but then it's not really BW any more...

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Nothing is worthy of replacing Zekrom as a mascot poke tho

One could also argue that their job is not necessarily to protect Unova. Besides the fact that "protecting Unova" is possibly the task of the Musketeers/Swords of Justice instead, the role of Zekrom/Reshiram seemed more to me to assist a person with a very strong belief; someone who could potentially change the world, and not necessarily just Unova.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
i was always hyped about legendaries but this game has ruined it ( In my opinion )
Rayquaza the most likely known one in all gens mewtwo groudon kyogre the articuno , dos , tres trio the yvetal trio you had dialga palkia and freaking girantina why dont they just put them in the game like the best pokemon are only in the og old ones , ( Zekrom and Reshiram , i dont know his name xD . Like they could be the mascots if the storyline was a tiny bit different )

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Gen V didn't flesh out out its own mythology. Reshiram and Zekrom were one dragon in B/W and Kyurem was separate. In BW2, all 3 have some sort of connection but it's never known what the "true" form was. As for your question, I think they were fine as mascots as I personally love both of their designs.

Reactions: Rai

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I never even questioned them as mascots. I really like both of them, as well as Kyurem.

Victini would make a really good mascot because of its cuteness though, but I wish it had been a little more involved in the game and in the story.

zeno101200

The Wanderer
Years
Zekrom is one of my favorite Pokemon, so I can't really easily replace it and Reshiram or Kyurem. As mentioned earlier by colours, maybe Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus? But I really just can't see those as mascot Pokemon. How about the three musketeers and Keldeo? I feel like they could serve up a great story involving them, but I don't know how they would handle the game versions like that.

Years
I really like Zekrom and Reshiram and think they're great mascot Pokemon, the lore around them was tailored for the plot and the Unova region and I suppose it could have been changed to fit another Pokemon such as Victini which would have been cool. But, I don't think one Pokemon isn't enough and in Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus's and the musketeer Pokemon's case there's too many of them to have for just two games so it would be odd (but lore wise it could work).

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
I think Zekrom & Reshiram are more than perfect mascots for the games. They have great designs (can't beat the turbine tails :P) & the unique concept of Yin/Yang. Can't see any other Pokemon replacing them.

Pika Pika :chu:

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
I would prefer Keldeo and its gang ( gang indeed is a fancy word :p) .
They were loyal to Unova and stood there ( as seen in the movie) and they specialize in various elements .
Go Swords of Justice !

Years
Zekrom and Reshiram fits the Mascot as the game name simply tells about the color of those two, Black (Zekrom) and White (Reshiram). If i had to ever replace them with something other, i would prefer Landorus and Tornadus & Thundurus. Landorus is the Trio Master of those three and deserves to be Mascot of the game. Or perhaps, Tornadus being mascot of the Black and Thundurus of White will make sense too, as Landorus can become the Mascot of Black2/White2, just like Kyurem.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would prefer Keldeo and its gang ( gang indeed is a fancy word :p) .
They were loyal to Unova and stood there ( as seen in the movie) and they specialize in various elements .
Go Swords of Justice !

The only problem is you couldn't really split 'em up. Given they're a trio of four it would make it hard to split up over the versions (who would you match Keldeo with??) but tbh I could see Keldeo as perfect for both B2/W2. The entire game gives SO many hints to water and yet... the legendary is ice. Why not water/fighting master Keldeo take over the world and shut down Kyurem?? :C

Years
Rahul's post is spot on, because Reshiram and Zekrom do make absolute sense being the mascots. While in B/W they are obtained in the opposite version than what their colour would suggest, it makes sense when you consider the yin-yang basis of them.

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
The only problem is you couldn't really split 'em up. Given they're a trio of four it would make it hard to split up over the versions (who would you match Keldeo with??) but tbh I could see Keldeo as perfect for both B2/W2. The entire game gives SO many hints to water and yet... the legendary is ice. Why not water/fighting master Keldeo take over the world and shut down Kyurem?? :C
Adding to your point , Keldeo could be provided with a more powerful form ( just like Zygarde) to give it a better , stylish and more competitive trait as it would go good with the story as well as the esthetics .
Kyurem does not fit in that much in the storyline .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Adding to your point , Keldeo could be provided with a more powerful form ( just like Zygarde) to give it a better , stylish and more competitive trait as it would go good with the story as well as the esthetics .
Kyurem does not fit in that much in the storyline .

I suppose you could've done Pokemon Steel, Pokemon Granite, and Pokemon Ivy... then the fourth version: Pokemon Wave (with Keldeo - being an ultimate form). Actually damn that makes SO much sense and B2W2 could be one single exploration.

Back