• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Friendly Rivals?

Years
  • The rivals in this game are super friendly, and there's little competition. No moments of, "Oh yeah? I'm going to smash you for saying that!" Little trash talk would be fun. Does anyone else miss the days of Gary and other trash talking rivals?

Years
  • I actually don't miss the days of "competitive and brash" rivals. Friendlier rivals don't really affect the experience for me, but I know for some people they think it's getting overdone.

But then again this is a game targeted towards kids, so some sacrifices had to be made, and maybe that's why I think they decided to deviate from the trash-talking rivals and make them more friendlier to the player.

Years
  • I certainly get why some people didn't like the rivals in this game. I myself didn't really care for them either, except Serena/Calem, who I like that they want to get stronger and I do tend to feel sad for them when I beat them. The others though? No thanks, and it wasn't helped by how infuriating the bridge fights were in my recent Blue Mono-Color. Took me several tries to finally get past them, which sucked.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I'm not too fussed about whether they talk trash or are actually nice since a little variety is always nice for the games. As long as they're not completely filler characters as was the case of 3 out of 4 of the XY rivals

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't mind rivals being friendly or even having a lot of them. My problem with the ones in X/Y was basically that all of them except for maybe Calem/Serena have pretty much no importance to the plot and almost no character development. The game even forgets about them for a while, only to rush them into the end of the game. Why even bother putting them in if you do that?

I also never understood why all five of us get the Honor of Kalos thing at the end. Last time I checked, I was the one doing all the world saving work.:|

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's more of a welcome change than anything, I feel. It's good to have some competitive rivals every once in a while, but I believe that it could also be enjoyable to be accompanied by friendly ones.

AxeBeard McBeardAxe

Jarl of the PokeCommunity
    Years
  • The rivals were so friendly it hurt. I understand exactly how you feel, I, too, miss the days of crushing Blue/Gary's soul, the feeling of squashing him like the douchebag he was was all too satisfying. When you battle your rivals in XY you almost feel sorry for beating them. It's a tad disappointing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I didn't really care for the friendly rivals bit; as long as they're rivals, I'm okay with that. Though it would've been nice if at least one of the three (four if you count Calem/Serena) rivals had a touch of Blue or Silver's personality.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Bonjour!

You are awful at pokemon, unlike me! The only way to continue the game is to beat my stupid face, but that wont ever happen!

Smell you latter!

These, truly, are the words of a great rival.

Years
  • These, truly, are the words of a great rival.

As much as older fans want brash-talking competitive rivals, I think the reason behind the change to "friendly" rivals is because they think the target audience aka young children are getting the wrong message. They were thinking of the younger players and as a result, sacrifices had to be made.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I think it would be great if the Rival joined the Evil Team. As his character arc comes to a close, he realizes what he is doing is wrong and the two of you team up to fight the bad guys.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2016
    I think it would be great if the Rival joined the Evil Team. As his character arc comes to a close, he realizes what he is doing is wrong and the two of you team up to fight the bad guys.
    Kuku... I was gonna do that in my hack

Anyways the rivals in x/y besides the other player char suck.

IceyGamer

Nothing but Ice in my veins
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    The game lacks now for rivals like with Gary that would get you going wanting to beat them even more. I get my drive to win from real-life pokemon rivals now.

Summers

Beginner IV breeder
    Years
  • Not that it's a big issue in the game for me, but I'd rather have a rival with some level of animosity than a friendly one. It doesn't necessarily have to include trash talking though, as I usually find that rather ridiculous and overdone.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm tired of the friendly rivals. Beyond tired of them actually.

I'm all for the rival joining the evil team, but I'd rather they not betray the team/realize they were wrong/etc. and go down with the team, so to speak. Maybe in the post game you can battle them in a penitentiary where they're locked up lol

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    I want them to threaten you. Give you setbacks, not just be a nuisance.
    Say things such as:
    "Your pokemon are cursed with a horrible trainer as we speak... Relieve them of the burden of having to be in your presence and sentence them ALL into the wild."
    Or more harsher:
    (Just say you own a Charizard and you simply cherish it)
    "Your Charizard is unhappy, It is weeping... Crying, thinking that it will be forever depressed knowing that you are its master. Let, it, go... LOOK AT IT! Cant you see the pain it has gone threw? It is suffering! Open your eyes and let that Charizard GO!
    "You are useless, you will never beat me, you will never hold any victories against me or anyone, you will always be in the shadow of someone, you are my slave and I am your KING!"

But I don't think many people would enjoy this kind of rival.

IceyGamer

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    I want them to threaten you. Give you setbacks, not just be a nuisance.
    Say things such as:
    "Your pokemon are cursed with a horrible trainer as we speak... Relieve them of the burden of having to be in your presence and sentence them ALL into the wild."
    Or more harsher:
    (Just say you own a Charizard and you simply cherish it)
    "Your Charizard is unhappy, It is weeping... Crying, thinking that it will be forever depressed knowing that you are its master. Let, it, go... LOOK AT IT! Cant you see the pain it has gone threw? It is suffering! Open your eyes and let that Charizard GO!
    "You are useless, you will never beat me, you will never hold any victories against me or anyone, you will always be in the shadow of someone, you are my slave and I am your KING!"

But I don't think many people would enjoy this kind of rival.

Now this goes something beyond what Gamefreak has done in the game that I personally would really like to see. Now you get hyped up from a guy talking negative about your skills and pokemon. Very similar to people in real life that think they are cool because they swept a few times with there Mega-kanga and don't get a real challenge.

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Now this goes something beyond what Gamefreak has done in the game that I personally would really like to see. Now you get hyped up from a guy talking negative about your skills and pokemon. Very similar to people in real life that think they are cool because they swept a few times with there Mega-kanga and don't get a real challenge.

Victim of the mega-kanga as well? tell me about it...
    Good that more than one person would like to see more diminishing talk as well. But sadly we both know that it will never happen, and for good reasons too. Some people {children in particular} would probably take it too seriously.

IceyGamer

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    Victim of the mega-kanga as well? tell me about it...
    Good that more than one person would like to see more diminishing talk as well. But sadly we both know that it will never happen, and for good reasons too. Some people {children in particular} would probably take it too seriously.

Am I a victim of Mega-kanga? Its 90% of all my losses in the game out of my 800 battles (500 wins) But yeah the game is suppose to appeal towards like 8 year olds and up and the kids would probably get their feelings hurt.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • This game had the most rivals up to date, with a total of 4. And they couldn't spare just one to have a one-upmanship personality? I'm really hoping Z version will have a competitive rivalry. Not necessarily like Blue or Silver, but jerky in their own unique way. :P

Back