• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm planning on using a Multiscale Dragonite for my friend's upcoming tournament, where you are required to use a dragon type and something that resembles a dragon. I am wondering what is the best set to use for a multiscale Dragonite. Please help!

Well it depends, since there's literally like 7 sets for Dragonite and all except one are based upon its Multiscale ability, which is seen to be the most useful.

Since 2 of those are for rain, that leaves you with about four sets. tbh, it basically depends on the Pokemon you have in your team.

You've got either the choice band set which doesn't last as long as the others if you're planning on switching in and out often unless you have a spinner (since it can't utilise multiscale if hazards are up, etc). The Dragon Dance sets both utilise DD as well as Roost. Then you've got the other DD set, making use of Substitute, aka multiscale is really useful then once you've got a Substitute up, and finally the t-wave set - you can't boost your stats but if you've got Pokemon that can set up hazards then that set can be really useful with Dragon Tail.

Aaand I'll just c/p them to make it easier.

1. Dragonite@Leftovers
Careful
Multiscale
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dragon Tail

(If you use SR/spikes/etc)

2. Dragonite@Leftovers
Careful
Multiscale
252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SpD / 160 Spe
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

(Can last long etc)

3. Dragonite@Lum Berry / Leftovers
Adamant / Jolly
Multiscale
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / ExtremeSpeed / Roost

(Offensive)

4. Dragonite@Lum Berry / Leftovers
Adamant / Jolly
Multiscale
252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Roost

(Lasts longer than above due to bulk)

5. Dragonite@Choice Band
Adamant
Multiscale
60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Brick Break / Dragon Claw

(Best not to switch in/out too often if opponents put up hazards, so could be really useful with a spinner)

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
I personally like Sunny Day better than Rain Dance.

Lead with Ninetales. Drought + Speed is never a bad option. Plus, Pokemon with Chlorophyll--Venusaur, Victreebell, etc.--who have low speed to begin with now can outspeed quite a few opponents. Synthesis is a great recovery move if you got a staller. Solarbeam turns to one-turn hit as well as with STAB added on. Just my opinion...

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Imo, rain is easier because Politoed doesn't take 25% from SR (like Ninetails does) and it really helps common steel types by weakening fire attacks. also, water has better coverage imo.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Since this is more of a question than a discussion, I'm moving this to the Simple Q&A Thread.

Also, rain is usually the better strategy of the two, since the Water-type isn't weak to Stealth Rock and has more useful resistances. Rain has more options to abuse the weather instead of just water moves, such as Thunder and Hurricane. Both are still good regardless.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
So I'm making a Modest/Choice Spec Flygon for the lolz, and I'm trying to figure out which moveset will give me the most coverage.

Currently I'm at Signal Beam, HP Rock, Giga Drain and Earth Power. This lets me hit everything but Normal, Fighting, Dragon and Ghost for x2 or more. I'm not too worried about Dragons but the other three are pretty "guh".

Is there another set I'm missing that has better coverage? I definitely want to keep Giga Drain, at least.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
So I'm making a Modest/Choice Spec Flygon for the lolz, and I'm trying to figure out which moveset will give me the most coverage.

Currently I'm at Signal Beam, HP Rock, Giga Drain and Earth Power. This lets me hit everything but Normal, Fighting, Dragon and Ghost for x2 or more. I'm not too worried about Dragons but the other three are pretty "guh".

Is there another set I'm missing that has better coverage? I definitely want to keep Giga Drain, at least.

Specs Flygon isn't that great imo, but if you want to I'd go with:

Earth Power, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast and probably U-Turn or some other coverage move. U-Turn to scout, coverage move to cover.

Years
Question about field attacks such as steath rock etc.

So I've usually bred and battled Pokemon with the ability to set up stealth rock and spikes (Swampert and Skarmory are my favorites for this task) But I was thinking about the less talked about Toxic spikes. Anyone use Toxic Spikes? I was also wondering if it was possible to put down something like Toxic Spikes and stealth rock at the same time? I know this strategy of mine leaves me open for spinners but I usually fight against my brother and his blasted OU team. I've specifically trained my team to take on his Tyranitar, Dragonite, Scizor, Yanmega, Honchkrow, and Lucario. I know none of these have the capacity for spinning. I was thinking along the line of having a Pokemon lay down toxic spikes and roaring to poison his entire team. Would this be a good strategy?

I currently have the following team

Jolteon Timid Nature
Yawn
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power: Grass

Swampert Relaxed Nature
Ice Beam
Roar
Earthquake
Stealth Rock

Salamence Naive Nature
Draco Meteor
Brick Break
Fire Blast
Outrage

Gyarados Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Bounce
Dragon Dance
Waterfall

Gengar Timid Nature
Pain Split
Substitute
Focus Blast
Shadowball

Dusknoir Impish Nature
Will-o-wisp
Earthquake
Ice punch
Pain Split

Jolteon in particular is my personal favorite. It took me months of breeding to finally get 31 IV's in all stats and get one with hidden power grass. It was worth it with a speed of 390 at level 100. Still, I'm wondering if there are teams that can punch holes in mine? I want to be able to cover my types well in a battle and I can't help but wonder if I should possibly replace Jolteon and Dusknoir with something else. I would prefer non legendaries.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Probably the most appropriate thing I can think of is Forry, since it can set up both t-spikes and spikes, and provide spin support just incase. tbh I don't think you need two ghosts, especially since Gengar is 2HKO'd by SD and both are weak to Honchkrow, so I'd replace Forry with Dusknoir but it's up to you, and if you really want to keep Jolteon it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. Either way, steels are really useful and fit really well into most teams - and help against Dragonite.

Years
Thats really true! I was thinking about Forretress for setting up spikes. So you can set up more than one type of spike in a battle? As for replacing Gengar, I was planning on using her against my bro's Lucario since she can hide behind a substitute and retaliate with a powerful focus punch. She's also used against his Mammoswine which he likes to use too. But I think Forry would make a decent tank. I wouldn't use it against his Honchkrow though because his Pokemon has both Overheat and Superpower which would hurt Forry pretty bad. Should I consider a Trick Room user? Or do you have to make a whole team revolve around that?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thats really true! I was thinking about Forretress for setting up spikes. So you can set up more than one type of spike in a battle? As for replacing Gengar, I was planning on using her against my bro's Lucario since she can hide behind a substitute and retaliate with a powerful focus punch. She's also used against his Mammoswine which he likes to use too. But I think Forry would make a decent tank. I wouldn't use it against his Honchkrow though because his Pokemon has both Overheat and Superpower which would hurt Forry pretty bad. Should I consider a Trick Room user? Or do you have to make a whole team revolve around that?

Yes you can. Having 2 out of the 3 entry hazards up may be enough.

Just so you know, Honchkrow can't learn Overheat, but it can learn Heat Wave. Also, Forretress is neutral to Superpower, but it takes severe damage from Heat Wave.

Since some of your Pokemon are pretty fast, I don't think Trick Room is suited for this team.

May I suggest Jellicent over Dusknoir? It has a better defensive typing, as well as Recover:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Team help please!

Hello I'm noob and I really don't get the ev training thing I figured I'd just train my pokemon against the elite 4.

I have serperior, excadrill,sawsbuck, unfezent. And was thinking of adding glaceyon and salemence to my team.

What pokemon would be best to fight to train up my Evs for each of my pokemon??

Thanks!!!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hello I'm noob and I really don't get the ev training thing I figured I'd just train my pokemon against the elite 4.

I have serperior, excadrill,sawsbuck, unfezent. And was thinking of adding glaceyon and salemence to my team.

What pokemon would be best to fight to train up my Evs for each of my pokemon??

Thanks!!!

Most of your Pokemon are physically oriented, so for Attack EVs, go fight Patrat and Lillipup in Route 1 and for Speed EVs, fight Basculin in Route 1/3, Striaton City (if your Pokemon is weak to Water, then fight Woobat in Wellspring Cave instead). I wouldn't advise Glaceon; its move pool is terrible.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
My pokemon are lvl 50ish who might you recommend fighting now?
Also if nOt glaceyon what water or I've pokemon might you recommend? (from all 5 gens) thanks!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
You could battle Watchog and Herdier for Attack EVs, especially around that level. For Speed EVs go for Zebstrika and Swoobat, but Basculin can be found at high levels too.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Say I'm building a team around CM Latias, what Pokemon do you think has great synergy with her?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Say I'm building a team around CM Latias, what Pokemon do you think has great synergy with her?

Magnezone has great synergy with Latias, they cover each other pretty well. Also if this;

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Recover / Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Is this the CM set you're running, you're going to need Magnezone to remove those pesky steel types for you.

I guess Dugtrio could work since it can trap steel types, but Dugtrio can't remove threats such as Skarmory or Scizor... well it could remove Scizor but it would be hard for it to do so.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
What's a good Nature and Ability for Giraffarig?

Girafarig @Leftovers EVs: 252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd Timid Nature Ability: Sap Sipper -Agility -Baton Pass -Calm Mind/Substitute -Psychic

Posted a set because I'm nice. :3 Yeah, it's really only the viable thing that it can run. Lmao

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
anyone know a good training strategy? i am just starting and on Route 29 with a Cyndaquil level 11. anyone know what i should do as a training strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back