• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Gyarados fly?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
A Gyarados, a sea monster-based Pokémon, appears to be a Water/Flying-type Pokémon. So, can Gyarados fly?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
hmm I doesn't think so; In fact IMO the other type of Gyrados should has been "Dragon" and not "Flying" the sea-serpents don't have anything in common with the sky;
However I think that this particular attribution of the type is probably due to a chinese legend:
Once upon a time a Koi Carp which, thank to its constancy and its perseverance, managed to overcome all the Yellow river and then to climb some waterfalls that were located in a place called "Dragon's Door".
The gods, impressioned by its tenacity, decided to reward that fish by transforming it in a flying Dragon; under this shape, the Carp acquired the eternal life and a limitless strenght, and became the symbol of those who desire to reach great objectives and who don't fear the difficulties of the life.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I'm pretty much sure Gyarados can not fly. I've heard the koi story before and i love how they made a pokemon based on this. Chinese dragons usually don't ave wings but can still fly, kinda like rayquaza, but Gyarados definitely belongs in the ocean, at least imo,

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I think they gave the flying type to Gyarados just to make sure it wasn't overpowered... I think the Dragon type was meant to be exclusive to Dragonite line.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
Well? Besides Gyarados, can you list all other kinds of secondary Flying-type Pokémon that cannot fly?

Sirfetch’d

Well? Besides Gyarados, can you list all other kinds of secondary Flying-type Pokémon that cannot fly?

Butterfree
Scyther
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpfluff
Yanma
Gligar
Mantine
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Mothim
Combee
Drifloon
Yamega
Gliscor
Mantyke
Shaymin sky
Rotom fly
Emolga

I believe that this is all of them, but yeah a lot of flying types can't learn Fly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Butterfree
Scyther
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpfluff
Yanma
Gligar
Mantine
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Mothim
Combee
Drifloon
Yamega
Gliscor
Mantyke
Shaymin sky
Rotom fly
Emolga

I believe that this is all of them, but yeah a lot of flying types can't learn Fly.

Most of them can fly, but not learn the move Fly. I think what OP meant was if Gyarados could fly at all, which it can't. Besides, most of the Pokemon you listed have a reason to be type flying - they either have wings, or they have some other method of soaring through the sky (Drifloon is a balloon, for example).

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I've seen Gyarados fly multiple times in the anime (but I think it was mostly in the movies IIR), but it's always seen flying above the water.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
I mean, I want to see a list of Flying-type Pokémon that are flightless, besides the Gyarados.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I can't ever recall seeing Gyarados fly in the anime, as I only remember it ever being shown in the water. The Stadium games had Gyarados floating slightly above ground though, so I think even if it can't fly, it can at least levitate in a similar manner to how Geodude hovers ever so slightly above the ground.

Back