• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Winter 2015] Tokyo Ghoul √A (Who thought of square root?)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
  • I don't want to be the manga purist guy who tells everyone to read manga because the anime adaptation sucks... but really, PLEASE READ THE MANGA THE ANIME ADAPTATION SUCKS.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • And I'm going to be one of those people who won't read the manga. (More or less, with some exceptions like Assassination Classroom and Bakuman, I don't read much manga anyway).

Tokyo Ghoul is definitely a case where the original source material, the manga, is much better (or well, that's apparently the case for majority of readers). Even so, watching the anime without knowing anything about the original I did quite enjoyed it much to a lot of manga reader's disappointment. Sure it's probably not the greatest and butchered it as an adaptation, but I don't think that the anime is that bad on it's own. I'm fine with considering the anime it's own separate identity and review solely on the content given - not comparing like what most people who read the manga first do.

If I wanted to look into the series more, then why not read it? But it's only two episodes in so that doesn't mean season 2 is completely done for so far. I'm only interested in the anime, not the manga even if i's apparently better.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • If I wanted to look into the series more, then why not read it? But it's only two episodes in so that doesn't mean season 2 is completely done for so far. I'm only interested in the anime, not the manga even if i's apparently better.

That's completely respectable, sorry if my post sounded like you were doing wrong :P. I'm a little bit hater of Studio Pierrot adaptations in general, and after watching this I remember why I hate them so much: censorship, fillers, unnecessary changes in plot, additional scenes that try to tie stuff they left out. I just couldn't enjoy it anymore after reading the manga, as Satoshi Ookami suggested.

In any case, go ahead, I don't think everything went to waste with the adaptation, the main idea is there. Just don't read the manga or you will become one of us LOL!

Skip Class

Years
  • That's completely respectable, sorry if my post sounded like you were doing wrong :P. I'm a little bit hater of Studio Pierrot adaptations in general, and after watching this I remember why I hate them so much: censorship, fillers, unnecessary changes in plot, additional scenes that try to tie stuff they left out. I just couldn't enjoy it anymore after reading the manga, as Satoshi Ookami suggested.

In any case, go ahead, I don't think everything went to waste with the adaptation, the main idea is there. Just don't read the manga or you will become one of us LOL!

Oh don't worry, it didn't sound wrong or anything, my post felt pretty harsh too. More or less there will always be those people who tell others to read the manga than to watch the anime (been seeing it a lot more in TG currently than any other anime/manga atm) because it didn't adapt as well, and there'll also be those people who the show regardless animation or not. I guess it's somewhat the same as the read the book first before you watch the movie argument/ book better than the movie argument. For me it also how people hate live actions after seeing their anime/manga counterpart.

I'm just hoping season 2 will be one of those anime which starts off slow and eventually starts turning really good. I've heard Ishida Sui can be really unpredictable so I'm hoping he does something unpredictable for this second season that will throw everyone off in a good way.

As for Studio Pierrot I can't really argue about their adaptations because apart from TG, I've only see Yumeiro Patissiere and Tantei Gakuen Q, but for TGQ I watched/ read in reverse order of Live Action to Anime to Manga and I enjoyed all 3 so you can't really have the same argument with that xD

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • Judging by what people have been saying I will read the manga once the series has ended or if I get overly curious. I don't typically have much time for manga but I do enjoy it! Once upon a time I only read manga and now I essentially only watch anime haha.

Regardless, I've been enjoying the anime so far. It's nice to watch something different from what I am used to - lots more characters and lots of time for random character interactions~

Skip Class

Years
  • Another okay episode, I did like it though. Can't wait to see more of the one-eyed twins again though.

Spoiler:

And of course a bit of Tsukiyama xD
    tumblr_nilb6jGEkf1shff2jo1_500.gif

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Another okay episode, I did like it though. Can't wait to see more of the one-eyed twins again though.

Spoiler:
    It's non-canon so you most likely don't need to care about it much 'till it's explained.

Skip Class

Years
  • Still on the 50/50 fence to how I feel about Tokyo Ghoul this season. This episode in particular... it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the best either, however am liking this episode more than the last few ones. I'm still wondering how the story is going to progress episode wise since Kaneki's objective or goal isn't clear yet.
    The whole thing with Shachi was a bit... rushed (idk)? Shachi just beating up Kaneki up out of nowhere out of the smell of Rize?

I'm liking this though:
    a8b8edf708fd27e4d4d7ffd6c04b85751422551857_full.png

Back