• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime clichés you never want to see again.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
  • There are so many recurring characters/elements in anime that get used over and over again. Some work well, others you just get tired of seeing repetitively to whatever anime you watch.

From the the idiot hero to the rich or haughty female characters with the loud obnoxious "Ho ho ho ho" laugh. To the mysterious illness/ frail female characters to megane boys who push their reflective square framed glasses up by their middle finger. Maybe those situations where the main hero/heroine accidentally trips and falls over the love interest with their faces close together to the bath house episodes where all the females compare and squeeze each others breasts. Or maybe it's that trend of anime that end with nothing resolved.

Give me some Anime clichés you never want to see again. Are the any anime in particular where you don't like the anime cliché and are there any that actually do them really well?

Zortac

League Champion
    Years
  • The "Black clouds appear when the bad guy comes" cliché.

It's overused a tiny bit at times in most animés. Hence, it got boring.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    The godlike state a protagonist reaches at the end of the series, to exclaim being the new ruler of the world or godking. Most of the series I've finished have done this. I like to have the ending more grounded, and not be the master plan being a literal only defeatable by love/friendship/brothership/faith-in-the-cars.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • When 90% of protagonists in Action, Adventure, Horror ect animes are WEAKLINGS and never seem to get over that weakness. Last year had some good OP and tough main characters but there are still too many animes where the MC is a wimp and usually has 1-2 moments of courage but ultimately stays a wimp, if you experience some of the things they had you wouldn't stay a wimp you'd have become a stronger person.

Also I don't know if you could call it a cliche but why does the Main Male protagonist always seem to have to get with the Main Female protagonist (obviously only applies to animes which have those) Like it gets so boring, the moment you see the Main male and female you know they're going to end up getting it on or having some stupid cliche cliffhanger scene where "will they? won't they?". I liked The world god only knows which made the Males romantic interest someone who is considered a background character at first but then becomes more involved.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • When an accident happens and a male falls on a female, and both fall on the floor. Then the female screams "Hentai/Sukebe/Chikan/Ecchi!" and hits the male. Too much of this already.

The ol' math problem is really cliché too. A male or female asks the other for help on a math problem, and then "so you substitute this value for x". Then they accidentally touch and get embarrassed.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Mutha. Friggin. FAN SERVICE. All the time (and not just in anime, unfortunately). I mean, yes, I can understand a bit of service sneaked in here and there, but any more than that and it just gets wayyy too distracting and takes away from an otherwise good storyline. My finest example of this is High School of the Dead. Anyone who has watched even half an episode of this would understand what I mean.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    The hyperactive protagonist who likes to eat a lot of food and always gets more and more power-ups. See Goku, Naruto, Luffy, and Natsu.

The protagonist that always gets his ass kicked. See Ichigo.

The guy character who a girl falls over and acts like a shy sissy around her. See Bleach and Tenchi Muyo.

Fan service. See Fairy Tail.

Too much dialogue in the middle of what's supposed to be an epic fight. See Dragon Ball Z and Naruto.

Characters who explain their powers. See Bleach. (Use narration like Hunter x Hunter).

The guy that looks and dresses like a girl. See every anime.

The Tsundere. See every anime.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Mutha. Friggin. FAN SERVICE. All the time (and not just in anime, unfortunately). I mean, yes, I can understand a bit of service sneaked in here and there, but any more than that and it just gets wayyy too distracting and takes away from an otherwise good storyline. My finest example of this is High School of the Dead. Anyone who has watched even half an episode of this would understand what I mean.
    Well, that's never gonna disappear xD

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years

In HotD, there was much more fanservice than actual plot elements..

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • True, true. And honestly I actually liked HotD, fan service aside. Zombie apocalypse games and movies have always been an interest of mine, and this was the first anime I had seen that centered around them. I found myself laughing at the most ridiculous parts (bullet between boobs). I just feel like there could have been more to it if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed to be made solely for the fanservice. I guess that's what happens when the author is a hentai artist as well? ~_~

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Lolis who are much older than they appear. Especially as an excuse to sexualize them. I don't care if she's 18, she looks 8 so stop giving her panty shots.

Honestly, pretty much every anime recently seems to do this (came with the moe phase, although I guess the typical age would be more around 16 than 18... but you get my point!) and it's one of the big reasons I barely watch anime anymore. It makes me so uncomfortable.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • True, true. And honestly I actually liked HotD, fan service aside. Zombie apocalypse games and movies have always been an interest of mine, and this was the first anime I had seen that centered around them. I found myself laughing at the most ridiculous parts (bullet between boobs). I just feel like there could have been more to it if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed to be made solely for the fanservice. I guess that's what happens when the author is a hentai artist as well? ~_~

You and me both sharing the same opinion seeing as I liked HotD despite all that fanservice. I've been hoping for another zombie apocalypse type anime since HotD - with less of the fanservice and more about the survival, team work and killing zombies. Besides all of that boob-age, any boob physics scene (HotD and BTOOOM!) just amuses me xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Lolis who are much older than they appear. Especially as an excuse to sexualize them. I don't care if she's 18, she looks 8 so stop giving her panty shots.

Honestly, pretty much every anime recently seems to do this (came with the moe phase, although I guess the typical age would be more around 16 than 18... but you get my point!) and it's one of the big reasons I barely watch anime anymore. It makes me so uncomfortable.
    It makes them legal, it's a good selling point =D
    Lolis are justice popular, would you rather prefer sexualization of real loli-age lolis?

In HotD, there was much more fanservice than actual plot elements..
    So in other words, it had more plot than plot? :P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years

• It makes them legal, it's a good selling point =D
    Lolis are justice popular, would you rather prefer sexualization of real loli-age lolis?
    I'd rather there be less sexualization of anyone overall, but I'd rather there be no sexualization of underage women (or men, for that matter, but it happens much less often). The fact that it's happening more just because it's popular is disgusting to me. But I mainly complained about the ones who are "older than loli age" because throwing that excuse out makes so many people go "but look, it's okay!" when the problem is still about sexualizing a childlike body. >_>

I bought manga the other week and inside every tankoubon is usually a couple slips of paper with ads for upcoming releases and so on. One of the ads inside was on one side for a Yotsuba& calendar and the other side... had an ad for a manga with the title written in english: "Because she is a little girl, I am excited sexually". WTF?? I did not buy adult manga, the other side of the ad is for a series pretty much aimed at children/family, and they're trying to sell me this on the same piece of paper??? This wouldn't happen if lolis/lolicon wasn't becoming so normalized and the fact that it IS becoming so normal is so strange to me. What other first world country lets this kind of thing happen so often in their media?

So yes, I think it's still problematic that characters that just "look" like lolis but aren't actually <12 years old are sexualized. It makes it more and more okay to actually sexualize the younger characters and that's just uncomfortable, no matter what way I try to look at it. Like, if it happened just once every so often that you had a character who looked really young compared to the others, just happened to have a flat chest, and so on... fine... but when that's becoming the norm for a lot of series? Nope, I'm out.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Tsunderes, because they act nothing like they are in real life (I've made a thread about them a few months ago), and they're occasionally the worst people you'll ever meet. Then there's the cliche of a girl beating a boy up and calling him a pervert after seeing her naked or in her underwear by accident (it only makes relationships even more complicated than they're suppose to be).

I'd rather there be less sexualization of anyone overall, but I'd rather there be no sexualization of underage women (or men, for that matter, but it happens much less often). The fact that it's happening more just because it's popular is disgusting to me. But I mainly complained about the ones who are "older than loli age" because throwing that excuse out makes so many people go "but look, it's okay!" when the problem is still about sexualizing a childlike body. >_>

I bought manga the other week and inside every tankoubon is usually a couple slips of paper with ads for upcoming releases and so on. One of the ads inside was on one side for a Yotsuba& calendar and the other side... had an ad for a manga with the title written in english: "Because she is a little girl, I am excited sexually". WTF?? I did not buy adult manga, the other side of the ad is for a series pretty much aimed at children/family, and they're trying to sell me this on the same piece of paper??? This wouldn't happen if lolis/lolicon wasn't becoming so normalized and the fact that it IS becoming so normal is so strange to me. What other first world country lets this kind of thing happen so often in their media?

So yes, I think it's still problematic that characters that just "look" like lolis but aren't actually <12 years old are sexualized. It makes it more and more okay to actually sexualize the younger characters and that's just uncomfortable, no matter what way I try to look at it. Like, if it happened just once every so often that you had a character who looked really young compared to the others, just happened to have a flat chest, and so on... fine... but when that's becoming the norm for a lot of series? Nope, I'm out.
    This is why I keep telling others on why we shouldn't call underaged Pokegirls "sexy," because we live in a period where political correctness is the law, and if you try to sexualize someone who is under 18 by having them wear bathing suits or baring their midriffs, you'll get into serious trouble, which is why the western culture won't stop at nothing to change Japan's culture in order to make them "normal" by their standards.

When 90% of protagonists in Action, Adventure, Horror ect animes are WEAKLINGS and never seem to get over that weakness. Last year had some good OP and tough main characters but there are still too many animes where the MC is a wimp and usually has 1-2 moments of courage but ultimately stays a wimp, if you experience some of the things they had you wouldn't stay a wimp you'd have become a stronger person.
    So you prefer Mary Sues over characters with actual flaws?

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • For the most part I am fine with the clichés. I have yet to be really bothered by them. My only exceptional is harem type stuff... but in all fairness I don't watch anime that go that way. Not because I have an issue with the actually idea of a bunch of girls fawning over a guy, or vice versa, BUT I don't enjoy if all of the girls end up to be super similar and not really have their own characteristics/character development.

I think that is more of an issue with character development though, I've just spotted it before in a couple anime is all.

Overall, I don't find anything to be annoying, but maybe that will change someday!

Back