• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completely New Pokemon Battle System

ACCloud

Master of Aura
Years
  • Hi,
    I've been playing the Pokemon games since 1999, and to be frank, I've gotten a bit tired of the traditional battle system. I'm also quite a large fan of the Pokemon manga, particularly its relatively cinematic and clever take on Pokemon battles. It is for these reasons that I decided to try and come up with a new battle system for Pokemon, whilst taking inspiration from other existing RPG's. While its currently just a mash-up of my ideas, the basic system is here:

- Only have 151 Pokemon, 252 at absolute most.
    - Based on Chrono Trigger's battle system (an ATB system variant). I can't post links yet, so if you don't know what that is, please look it up.
    - Goal is to make Pokemon battles reach a larger scale, make them more cinematic and engaging.
    - You can have up to 4 Pokemon out in battle at the same time (same number as in FFVI). In addition the trainer (or trainers, if in a trainer battle) also appear on the screen.
    - Just like Chrono Trigger, whenever an encounter begins, it takes place in the exact same place that it was triggered on the normal world map. The player's chosen Pokemon are released and move around on the map (just like the party members did in Chrono Trigger). The enemy Pokemon (there can be up to 6 in one encounter), would move around in a similar fashion. The trainer(s) appears at one side of the map (opposite sides if two or more trainers), slightly removed from combat.
    - The commands are the normal, 4 Pokemon battle commands: Fight, Pokemon, Items and Run, in addition to a new command called Trainer.
    - When Fight is selected, a list of the Pokemon's moves appears and the player must select which to attack with. The PP system remains relatively unchanged, however the 4-move limit is now gone; numerous moves can be learnt and retained (?). Attacks should appear fanciful and cinematic, and Pokemon should actually move and hit eachother physically. It would be fantastic if moves could actually affect the appearance of the battleground (e.g. grass gets set on fire), but this would be near impossible.
    - The Pokemon command remains the same, the only difference being the number of Pokemon that you can have out at a time. To account for this, trainer's can now carry either 8 or 10 Pokemon (NEED TO DECIDE).
    - Item command remains pretty much the same. Either have an animation of the trainer using a healing item on their Pokemon, or just show a nice affect on the Pokemon itself. In terms of Pokeballs, the trainer would throw one at the enemy Pokemon.
    - Run allows the player to run from combat, exactly the same as usual.
    - The new Trainer command comes from an attempt to involve the trainer character more into Pokemon battles. As the player progresses through the game, the Trainer will learn special techniques to give his Pokemon party a boost in stats, or the like. Not exactly sure what abilities could be. Possibly could have a 'Cover' ability (like in FFIV), where the trainer can take damage in place of a Pokemon to prevent in a critical situation.
    - *Possible Idea* - Like Chrono Trigger, have Dual Techniques, Triple Techniques or maybe even Quad Techniques, where certain types of Pokemon can combine their attacks to create spectatular and powerfully (yet costly) moves.
    - Use either Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Ranger (not sure if all 151-252 originals are in there) for the Pokemon's graphics.
    - In trainer battles, the principles are generally the same, except they are limited to the same number of Pokemon as the player.
    - Environmental effects still exist, and can be brought on by the player. Possibly new ones? E.g. Earthquake effect, where the ground is broken and distorted, and so it is easier to miss, etc.
    - Regarding the move Fly, the Pokemon would disappear from the screen (as usual), rather than floating above the battleground.
    - Randomly generated Pokemon will physically appear on the map, and will respawn a short time after you defeat them.

So there you have it. I would probably use RPG Maker 2003 (not too skilled with XP), as there is already a functional, well-made Chrono Trigger battle system template, which could serve as a base for the numerous tweaks and changes required. I would need tremendous help on the graphical side of things e.g. Pokemon MD/Ranger graphics to be put into functional Battlecharaset's, custom trainer sprites for when in battle, etc. Whilst this would be a significant effort, I do honestly believe that this is the sort of 'breath-of-fresh-air' which the Pokemon series could do with. Even if we could just complete the battle system (with no game attatched), it would be a great accomplishment.

Thanks a lot for reading, your CC is greatly appreciated,
    ACCloud

Back