• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ooh, Such a Nice Username! ♪

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • We've talked about what makes a bad username in the past, but, what do you think makes the opposite of that, a good username? For example, how short, or long can it be? Does it have to be complex... or not at all? Maybe good ones are usually references of something?

Something like that! So again, in your own opinion, what makes a good username (and it can be anywhere from forums, to whatever) and why? And as a bonus.. what are some of the best usernames that you've come across?

Well, in my own opinion, I'm open when it comes to that, but, nowadays I feel as though I'm usually more attracted to shorter names - ones that have only one word in them. It doesn't have to mean anything much, it can be anything that means complete nonsense (in fact, I think that's a good username: Nonsense), but case in point, I do really like short usernames in general.

Years
  • I don't mind name length much but my personal preference are real words. Things like Sheep, Dragon, Fairy, etc.. or names of Greek gods and other characters because those are always beautiful. Numbers are all right but not excessively; names usually look better without them.

Two-worded names are cute too though. TwilightBlade aweee. Some of my favorites are more or less things that just roll off the tongue well, like Ausaudriel and Morkula.

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    I like real word usernames, ones that are on the short side and look cute! That's why I love my username. I love usernames based on food, too.

I like Dragon and Sheep's username because they are simple and original, but I also suppose it's easier to get names like that on a forum because they are less likely to be taken.

The usernames I dislike are usernames with unnecessary -s endings, for example ending and S to a characters name like "edwardelrics" or adding an s to a Japanese word like "meidos." Rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I like for usernames to be short, to give an impression of you, be it a powerful impression or an impression that stands out, it has to symbolize you. But a hugely understated factor that I think has great importance is pronounceability. I want to be able to say someone's username out loud even though it's just in my mind. :)

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to usernames that I like, there a few factors I look for. The first factor is length of username. I am fine with seeing usernames that are no more than three words long. Second factor that I look for how to pronounce them. I like ones that are easy to pronounce. As for the third factor I look for is whether or not it has numbers. I prefer ones that don't have numbers more than ones that do.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like names for usernames, personally. Or just single words with more than one syllable, like Sydian, Ausaudriel, Everlark, etc. wow bias...two of those are mine. lol

Years
  • I like usernames that are not too long, but also have some meaning to the user itself, multiple-word names and numbers are okay in my opinion but don't overdo it. No more than three of those in my thoughts. Hybrids (aka combining two names into one) like mine also draw attention.

Years
  • Personally, usernames that include numbers are kind of a turn off for me \: I've never used them myself because even if a name I want is used, I normally come up with something else and keep trying until I get no results XD I like witty sounding ones, which I've never been able to conjure ;-; For my own, I like keeping them short rather than having a combination of words, but like Hikamaru mentioned, hybrids are good in my books.

Years
  • I simply like usernames that have a true meaning to the user. I mean, what does ZachLMedia mean and who would use a name like that?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • What makes a good username for me? It just has to be short and sweet with some meaning to the user. I don't really care about numbers. As long as people don't overdo it, I guess.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I like usernames which sound nice, look nice and are meaningful in some way. Imo they're best without too many numbers (I would say without any numbers, but that would just be insulting jellicentfan1 which is the best username ever), and preferably shouldn't include words that don't make sense or a bunch of letters just put together with no significance behind them. It gives the impression that the user didn't put much thought into creating that username. A username should be thoughtful as it represents the user throughout the forums.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Dos:
    • actual words
    • monosyllabic
    • names that roll off the tongue

Don'ts:
    • numbers
    • tacky stuff (names with a bunch of symbols in them)
    • overly long names, like xXPKMNPL4Y3RZ420Xx or SUPREME_POKEMON_FORUM_USER_420
    • two-word names without spaces (obviously if spaces aren't allowed, this can't be adhered to)

As long as they avoid my 'don'ts' and follow my 'dos' to some extent, one's choice of username doesn't bother me that much. Then again, I shouldn't be picky because I'm apparently not the best at picking them myself, haha.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I personally like short and simple usernames. If long, at least less than 3 words.
    Numbers doesn't really attract me.
    Names that has some specific meaning is also good.
    If the username can be pronounced in a nice way, I love it even more.

I bet people hate my username because of its pronounciability though

Davetunes

MagikarpDrowned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2015
    I say to use something real, don't use abbreviations, and a two digit number after your name is completely unacceptable. Also, something like cool dude is completely wrong, and should never be used.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I really like it when usernames are actually things that sound like REAL names. Or as long as there isn't anything that doesn't make it sound like a real name, and I don't mean like if it's words that aren't considered names, like "Dragon", or "Sheep", those kind of names are kinda like my favorite.

Usernames that I don't really enjoy and make it hard for me to remember, are names that have those weird numbers like: Cake93y294j2757832, this is a good way of saying you either have no originality, or you're an idiot. (No offense) Then there are name mergers, like mine (FernButter) but like mine, I don't mind, unless it's something like: Mewlotslove, mergers are only good if: they have mainly nouns, (Love, Tree, Animal names), and some verbs like: (Growing, Run, etc.)

But in the end, regardless of everything, I would like it if they would make you stand out, make you distinguishable from everyone else.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think a good username must (A) have meaning to the user with the recognition of his/her community as such in the case of odd or normally unattractive usernames, e.g. Hikari10 or Slayr231; (B) Have a noticeable flow when pronounced, e.g. AlexTheRose or Shining Raichu; or (C) Be a rarity to merely have as a username, e.g. Ryfy or Mac (in larger communities). That about sums it up for me :p

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
  • I like real words or character names.

I like all of the usernames in this thread tbh. A good username to me has barely any numbers (unless it relates to the topic of the username). I hate seeing stuff like xx::AwEsOmE::xx because it looks dumb.

I also hate seeing AlexDudeHayyy2392x because damn, who wants that as a username?

Basically, one to three words that are simple and represent you or are witty are good.

Did you pick Insomniac after the EDM promoter? I love EDM haha

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2015
    Oops sorry about that.
    Anyway, I like usernames that look clean, easy to read, little to no numbers, unique and I don't mind names based off characters.
    My biggest hate is names with a massive amount of Xs, numbers, and unnecessary capitalisation! Example: xXxQuIcKsCoP3R63637xXx

Back