• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 7 - 15th May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I can't start a new Game, it always sends me to Map 25 ...
    I can continue even if i have no save Data.
    What should I do? D:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I can't start a new Game, it always sends me to Map 25 ...
    I can continue even if i have no save Data.
    What should I do? D:
    That is a New Game. The lengthy intro event with Oak's lecture is disabled in the current Essentials (my fault), which is why you're immediately put on Test Map 2.

Years
  • ok, and where can i change the starting point from test map 2 to intro map and activate Oak's lecture? And where is the new save Data stored? Sorry but everything is different xD

//Edit: Okay I solved this ... but the Players Name is always Red. Where is the Name given?

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • There should be an event on the opposite side of Oak's event. You can set the first event's page to Action Key to activate it and in Oak's event, set it to Autorun.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • Upgrading Essentials from my previous version (the very last version, or maybe the one before it), and I noticed that that when I copied over my trainers.txt file from my previous version, that it gives me an error, saying that "10 is an undefined item name", so I assume that the fields for the Pokemon the trainers own have been changed around. 10 is the default IV set, so it must have been changed around. Here is a line from the previous version that I used had:

BLASTOISE,40,10,,WATERGUN,BITE,RAPIDSPIN,PROTECT,false,false

It appears that the field for the 10, IVs, has been changed in the new version:

STEELIX,22,SITRUSBERRY,SANDSTORM,IRONTAIL,IRONDEFENSE,EARTHQUAKE,,,0,false,,20,70,,false

Along with the addition of other fields, probably the defining of whether or not it is shadow, etc.

My question is, is there a way to at least change the order of items in the fields back to what it was before, at least the IV field? I have too many trainers to manually go through and change the location of that field. I continually get this error because of it.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Whenever I go to test my game, I get a message before the New/Continue screen that says "On or more fonts used in this game do not exist on the system. The game can be played, but the look of the game's text will not be optimal." How do I fix this?

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    pkmn.master- There's no way I know of. Changing the parse of the scripts is probably not the best idea, but if you're good with RGSS I suppose you could. Failing that, the best thing to do would might be for you to code a regex script to rewrite that trainer.txt for you, but that's not something most people can do either. If you're not comfortable doing either of those things, then like I, you'll have to bite the bullet and start reformatting yourself.

Unknown- So install the fonts, silly. :p You can either copy the files in the Fonts folder to Control Panel/Fonts, or just open each one of them and select install.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • pkmn.master- There's no way I know of. Changing the parse of the scripts is probably not the best idea, but if you're good with RGSS I suppose you could. Failing that, the best thing to do would might be for you to code a regex script to rewrite that trainer.txt for you, but that's not something most people can do either. If you're not comfortable doing either of those things, then like I, you'll have to bite the bullet and start reformatting yourself.

Unknown- So install the fonts, silly. :p You can either copy the files in the Fonts folder to Control Panel/Fonts, or just open each one of them and select install.

Alas, this is impossible, as I have over 300 trainers. Do you know the script that this data is interpreted at?

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Upgrading Essentials from my previous version (the very last version, or maybe the one before it), and I noticed that that when I copied over my trainers.txt file from my previous version, that it gives me an error, saying that "10 is an undefined item name", so I assume that the fields for the Pokemon the trainers own have been changed around. 10 is the default IV set, so it must have been changed around. Here is a line from the previous version that I used had:

BLASTOISE,40,10,,WATERGUN,BITE,RAPIDSPIN,PROTECT,false,false

It appears that the field for the 10, IVs, has been changed in the new version:

STEELIX,22,SITRUSBERRY,SANDSTORM,IRONTAIL,IRONDEFENSE,EARTHQUAKE,,,0,false,,20,70,,false

Along with the addition of other fields, probably the defining of whether or not it is shadow, etc.

My question is, is there a way to at least change the order of items in the fields back to what it was before, at least the IV field? I have too many trainers to manually go through and change the location of that field. I continually get this error because of it.

pkmn.master- There's no way I know of. Changing the parse of the scripts is probably not the best idea, but if you're good with RGSS I suppose you could. Failing that, the best thing to do would might be for you to code a regex script to rewrite that trainer.txt for you, but that's not something most people can do either. If you're not comfortable doing either of those things, then like I, you'll have to bite the bullet and start reformatting yourself.

Alas, this is impossible, as I have over 300 trainers. Do you know the script that this data is interpreted at?

Right first of all, I to believe this was the worst change that Maruno could've done, I think he maybe could've added the new changes to the end of the list instead because I have over 800 trainers haha, try changing all of that, one by one... Rhetorical, haha... @Amethyst, maybe if you took the time to have a look at the scripts you will be able to work this out... There IS a possible way to do this, it is also not hard to work out... I'm not one for all the scripting "lingo" so I have no idea why you'd use the word "parse" here, but I'm assuming you actually mean "Changing the way the script is", if it is the latter, you will HAVE to change the scripts to get this to be like the older versions... Don't bother with creating any bot to do ANY work for you here, you will only make more trouble for yourselves... I'm sorry to say Amethyst, but if you questioned this earlier, I myself (or anyone) could've given you the answer to fix this and saved you much time... I know where this is because I've sorted it...

I'm not sure if you want me to guide you through this it will be very long and you may get confused and mess this up if you have no idea what you're doing... Otherwise, if you do no what you're doing, I can direct you to where you need to be, which would you prefer? I know this is quite a pointless post in one way or another, but I'd prefer not to go into detail for you to get confused and mess up you scripts and/or I do not want to point you in the direction for you to ask me to explain...

Whenever I go to test my game, I get a message before the New/Continue screen that says "On or more fonts used in this game do not exist on the system. The game can be played, but the look of the game's text will not be optimal." How do I fix this?

This was a rather silly thing to do (I like that haha), it clearly states the fonts are MISSING... Haha! Aww.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Unknown- So install the fonts, silly. :p You can either copy the files in the Fonts folder to Control Panel/Fonts, or just open each one of them and select install.
    Clearly I wasn't thinking straight when I posted that. *facepalm*

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • I'm not sure if you want me to guide you through this it will be very long and you may get confused and mess this up if you have no idea what you're doing... Otherwise, if you do no what you're doing, I can direct you to where you need to be, which would you prefer? I know this is quite a pointless post in one way or another, but I'd prefer not to go into detail for you to get confused and mess up you scripts and/or I do not want to point you in the direction for you to ask me to explain...

QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I can do it. When it comes to scripting RGSS, I can manipulate some things, so either way, if you know what script contains the line of code that will make this:

Pokemon Species, Level, Item,...........,Iv,

Interpret like this:
    Pokemon Species, Level, IV, Item,...............

Let me know.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I'm pretty sure I can do it. When it comes to scripting RGSS, I can manipulate some things, so either way, if you know what script contains the line of code that will make this:

Pokemon Species, Level, Item,...........,Iv,

Interpret like this:
    Pokemon Species, Level, IV, Item,...............

Let me know.

It's not a line of script, it's multiple lines...

If you know what you're doing, search:

poke[1]

Good luck :classic:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    *Sigh* You're doing what I didn't want to happen...

If you search poke[1], you will only bring up like 6 lines, can you seriously not work this out? Or do you want me to guide you through it?

If you search poke[1] as I said before, everything you need is right in front of you.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    There are four ways of going about solving this issue:

1) Go through trainers.txt and swap all the values around.

2) Open trainers.txt in Excel, with commas acting as column separators. Cut/paste a few columns in different places, copy everything to Notepad, and replace the tab characters with a comma. Remember to make sure the non-Pokémon lines still look good after swapping the columns around, but that's not difficult to check. This is basically a much quicker way of doing option 1.

3) Edit the scripts in def pbCompileTrainers (script section Compiler) and def pbLoadTrainer (script section PokemonTrainers), to swap some of the poke[1] numbers around (but there's more to it than just that, of course). You can either also change some Editor scripts in the same way, or never use the Editor again to create trainers. This is the method Nickalooose is suggesting, but you wouldn't know what to do so it's best you don't try it.

4) Don't use Essentials version 7 or newer.

Personally, I recommend option 2. If you know what you're doing, it'll take you 10 minutes maximum.

I chose to rearrange the parameters to put the more-used ones earlier. I think it's neater that way. If I changed it back in version 8 (not that I'm really considering it anyway), I would just get complaints from those who actually bothered to change their trainers.txt files.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Considerring Maruno's option 2 would be a good idea, even with my lack of scripting knowledge I managed to change all of this (including the editor, which worked) all in abour 20minutes, half hour... Try Maruno's option 2 first before you edit scripts, it's not as simple as copy and paste, you may struggle.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • *Sigh* You're doing what I didn't want to happen...

If you search poke[1], you will only bring up like 6 lines, can you seriously not work this out? Or do you want me to guide you through it?

If you search poke[1] as I said before, everything you need is right in front of you.

*Sigh* *Facepalm* That's not what I asked. I asked what script or scripts that this be located in, but with all of this time I see now that it is located in the complier script and the PokemonTrainers script. The game is running now, thanks for trying to help.

I recommend a fix for this to be posed or added in the next version of Pokemon Essentials. This can mess a lot of people up, well, those who have 100+ trainers at least.

There are four ways of going about solving this issue:

1) Go through trainers.txt and swap all the values around.

2) Open trainers.txt in Excel, with commas acting as column separators. Cut/paste a few columns in different places, copy everything to Notepad, and replace the tab characters with a comma. Remember to make sure the non-Pokémon lines still look good after swapping the columns around, but that's not difficult to check. This is basically a much quicker way of doing option 1.

3) Edit the scripts in def pbCompileTrainers (script section Compiler) and def pbLoadTrainer (script section PokemonTrainers), to swap some of the poke[1] numbers around (but there's more to it than just that, of course). You can either also change some Editor scripts in the same way, or never use the Editor again to create trainers. This is the method Nickalooose is suggesting, but you wouldn't know what to do so it's best you don't try it.

4) Don't use Essentials version 7 or newer.

Personally, I recommend option 2. If you know what you're doing, it'll take you 10 minutes maximum.

I chose to rearrange the parameters to put the more-used ones earlier. I think it's neater that way. If I changed it back in version 8 (not that I'm really considering it anyway), I would just get complaints from those who actually bothered to change their trainers.txt files.

Curse you slow internet.

Anyway, thanks for the straightforward answers. This is useful. I agree that option 2 is probably alot faster, safer, and more efficient. Thanks again.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    AWESOME! I thought in a script to edit these files, but your way is very easier!
    Maybe you (or someone) can creates a little guide with this in a "How update Essentials" page in wikia (that also may helps from "Delete savefiles" notes between versions) and put a link on downloads page.

Years
  • Hi I need help with my Game ...
    I have problems with one of my maps
    every time I teleport the character on the map the game crashes. But if I enter the Map without teleporting with the connection.txt it works. But I need teleport events on this map

Code:
    Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `onEvent?' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

get_character(0).onEvent?

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Game_Event_:260:in `update'

Game_Map_:336:in `update'

Interpreter:281:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Game_Event_:260:in `update'

Game_Map_:336:in `update'

Game_Map_:334:in `each'

Game_Map_:334:in `update'

I am clueless, because the map is not different from other maps.

Edit// i've figured out, that the error belongs on the connection.thx
    if the map is not connected, i can teleport to this map.
    does anyone have an idea?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Hi!
    I have a doubt on trainer.txt:

Pokemon,Level,Item,Attack1,Attack2,Attack3,Attack4, ??? What does mean the following thing?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back