• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Number 1 Pokémon Duo!

Raezioo

Mister Mohawk
Years
  • Hi peeps!

I've been thinking about this. When I play a wifi-battle, I don't care what Pokémon are in my team. But I ALWAYS take this one duo with me. Which is Venomoth and Hydreigon. I'll explain why:

Venomoth (Focus Sash)
    Ability: Tinted Lens
    Nature: Timid (252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Quiver Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Baton Pass
    So basically, the most common Venomoth ever :p

Hydreigon (Life Orb)
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Modest (252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Surf

My main tactic is to open up with Venomoth (to not risk stealth rock damage, or my focus sash would be useless). I put the Pokémon to sleep, and set up a few quiver dances. If the opponent's Pokémon wakes up, and it hits me, I still have one HP left, which gives me the opportunity to do a last quiver dance. On the next turn, I baton pass all these stat changes (best case scenario: 4 quiver dances, worst case scenario: one quiver dance, which is still great for Hydreigon). I bring out Life Orb Hydreigon with massive Special Attack and Speed boosts, EV trained in Special Attack and Speed, AND carrying the Life Orb. And then I proceed to sweep the opponents entire team with my Hydreigon. BEST DUO EVER!

So, my question is. Do you guys have a duo, or maybe other Pokémon in your team you couldn't fight without?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    No, I'm constantly changing my teams, especially in Gen V where I don't even train just 6 pokémon as team members (That exp. system is good for something, eh?).

Can I just say, what happens when your Venomoth is outsped? Even if you do get them to sleep you could be already on 1hp then gambling on them not waking up and killing you

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    One of my favourite duos especially when I can guess the opponent will be sending out some sort of Steel or Electric Pokémon is these two:

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
    Adamant 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
    Ability: Gale Wings
    Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    Roost
    U-Turn

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
    Jolly 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Rapid Spin
    Rock Slide

Basically, if the opponent has sent out any Electric or Steel, Excadrill will Earthquake which won't hit Talonflame, and usually Talonflame will be able to deal some good damage with Brave Bird if there is gonna be someone who will receive neutral damage from Earthquake. Talonflame can also U-Turn out of there if it's too dangerous.

I also like to do Talonflame and Greninja

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Timid 4HP/252SpAtk/252Spe
    Ability: Protean
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Extrasensory
    Dark Pulse

Ice Beam is a OHKO on Garhomp, and the other moves give it excellent coverage. I can usually send this out with either Talonflame or Charizard, and sometimes W. Rotom.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
    Adamant 248HP/152Atk/108Spe
    Ability: Blaze -> Tough Claws
    Dragon Claw
    Flare Blitz
    Dragon Dance
    Roost

Rotom (Wash forme) @ Chesto Berry
    Calm 248 HP/216 SDef/44 Spe
    Ability: Levitate
    Volt Switch
    Hydro Pump
    Will-o-wisp
    Rest

I love my Wash Rotom :)

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • No, I'm constantly changing my teams, especially in Gen V where I don't even train just 6 pokémon as team members (That exp. system is good for something, eh?).

Can I just say, what happens when your Venomoth is outsped? Even if you do get them to sleep you could be already on 1hp then gambling on them not waking up and killing you

Pokemon battling is a game of gambling. But let's not change the subject of the thread. Your discussion goes in the Battling and Team Building area of this forum. This is just about your favorite Pokemon duo. Although since everyone is posting moves and EV spreads, I can't help but wonder if this also belongs in that area. Still...

My favorite duo is:

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Ability: Multiscale
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Fire Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb
    252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Ability: Prankster
    Timid Nature
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder Wave

The goal is simple. I lead with these two, and run taunt when I see other common set-ups in progress or other prankster Pokemon, thunder wave the rest. Thundurus can take hits and switch out with volt switch if needed in the face of a threat. Sometimes, especially when facing a Pokemon I suspect to hold rock slide, I will make a riskier move such as thunder waving said threat.
    Dragonite sets up Dragon Dance, and I very rarely worry about other Pokemon holding super-effective attacks, since Dragonite almost always sponges them and I end the turn with a large boost in attack and a nice speed boost and sweep with dragon claw, which can deal with many threats after boost such as Garchomp and Charizard.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For a long time, I've been a pretty huge fan of Skarmory and Blissey combination, and still am. One plays specially defensive, which would be latter, and other goes physically. Put them together as a duo, and they're impossible to stop. Skarmory could strike major damage with Brave Bird, as it has full access to it, as well as set up entry hazards, all while enduring attacks from opponent and stalling them. Once it's got everything set, it could easily recover itself with Roost, and switch another teammate. There are some Pokémon that could trap it, but if you have it hold Shed Shell, it won't be any problem at all.

As for Blissey, its Special Defense stat is gargantuan. It could take up to five Draco Meteor attacks all at once, while still having a good portion of its health left in. This Pokémon is able to learn moves such as Aromatherapy, Heal Bell, and Wish; with those, it could completely heal itself any time it chooses, as well as recover other team members. It could also use Toxic and Protect, which allows it to take foes down by stalling. Only thing about Blissey is that if you don't have any actual damaging-move in its moveset, it could easily be crippled with Taunt. Personally, though, I've never had to face that.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I have a team that is very near and dear to my heart, as well. Not the best, but they can get the job done.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate -> Mold Breaker
    Dragon Dance
    Aqua Tail
    Earthquake
    Taunt

Nidoking @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Earth Power
    Poison Jab
    Shadow Ball
    Ice Beam

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • My favorite duo right now is my Mamoswine paired with any flying or any Pokémon with levitate. Gotta spam that Earthquake. But this only for Double Battle, though.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Hmmm, one of my favorite duos is SkarmBliss, with Chansey instead of Blissey. They really complement each other's weaknesses, and it's usually likely that you can switch in Skarm on any Physical attacker that comes in on Chansey with no difficulty, and vice versa. I'm also a fan of the VoltTurn RotomScizor combo, since constant switching is always fun. Two other Pokemon that I love to use are Expert Belt Latios and Scarf Terrakion, simply because a lot of people that I've faced expect Choice Latios and Band Terrakion and it's always fun surprising people.

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • When i play doubles, its usually just to see what fun, or strange combos i can come up with, but my all time favorite has to be my dual technicians. Mega Scizor, technician, bullet punch, and breloom technician black belt mach punch just makes any day a good day for doubles.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When i play doubles, its usually just to see what fun, or strange combos i can come up with, but my all time favorite has to be my dual technicians. Mega Scizor, technician, bullet punch, and breloom technician black belt mach punch just makes any day a good day for doubles.

That sounds like a very fun duo! If I were to ever get into doubles, I'd definitely try these two; have battled with them on singles plenty of times before, and they have never failed me. Only thing that concerns me, though, are physical walls, as they would be able to block them quite heavily. They should be having no trouble getting through special ones, though!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hmmm, one of my favorite duos is SkarmBliss, with Chansey instead of Blissey.
    SkarmBliss, with Chansey

SkarmChan

Skarm-chan

XD
    I'm gonna name a female Skarmory that one day.

Anyway, I've had fun with this little combo recently:

-Talonflame w/Lum Berry
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Tailwind, Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Roost

&

-Rampardos w/Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Head Smash, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Facade

This works pretty nicely in Rotation battles. Talonflame sets up the Tailwind, which is guaranteed because of Gale Wings. Then you rotate Rampardos in on the next turn and watch **** die. Tailwind makes it outspeed most non-Choice Scarfed Pokemon, and anything that isn't a bulky Rock resist is annihilated by those Choice Band boosted STAB Head Smashes.

Ya know, if Head Smash doesn't miss.

Back