• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genre of the week: Monster

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I don't think this one really needs much of an introduction. I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of Godzilla before, and Alien is pretty popular too. I'm not sure if I've read a monster book besides some Goosebumps books, anyone remember those?

I really like monsters when they're done right. That can be said about any genre for me, but it applies to monsters especially, since it tends to be hit or miss. Either the monster does exactly what it's supposed to do, and terrifies the audience with suspense, or nothing connects and you're either lost, or laughing. Neither of the two is very good with these types of things, generally.

I've wanted to see Alien for the longest time, but I haven't seen it around, unfortunately. It's supposed to be really good, and Neil Blomkamp is making the next movie in the franchise, so I have to see it sometime.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
From Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of MONSTER
  1. a : an animal or plant of abnormal form or structure
    b : one who deviates from normal or acceptable behavior or character
  2. : a threatening force
  3. a : an animal of strange or terrifying shape
    b : one unusually large for its kind
  4. : something monstrous; especially : a person of unnatural or extreme ugliness, deformity, wickedness, or cruelty

Vampires and werewolves would fit under that definition for sure. But other things can as well: otherwise average human beings who are evil or cruel, large creatures, and ugly creatures could all be considered "monsters." Exploring what constitutes a monster and our reactions to them is a primary topic in many literary genres.

Bay

Years
I actually haven't read the Goosebumps stories but I have watched some episodes of it. I think I remember being easily scared back then, haha.

I think Frankenstein would be considered a monster story, which has been mentioned in the Horror genre thread a few weeks back. I think what I like about it is the main character Victor Frankenstein is considered a monster moreso than the one he created. Pretty much an example on what txteclipse said on the topic of what is considered a monster.

Back