• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ad blockers getting blocked

Years
  • So the other day, I was on Forbes trying to read an article that I found on Google, and I noticed that they were preventing me from reading that article, unless I turned off my Adblock Plus. I found out through another article on another site that Forbes is committing such a practice as a test to see if people actually would turn off their ad blockers to read them with their "ad-light experience" (which I do not believe is "light" at all other than that all of the advertisements are just static and not flash-based and/or animated).

So, what are your thoughts on this practice? Do you guys mind having to turn off an ad blocker just to visit a website?

Honestly, the #1 reason I myself use an ad blocker is to feel safer while browsing considering how some ads do contain malicious content, but not necessarily to detract profit from a website.

Years
  • I just get around that by using a program like No-Script, since the ad networks for most sites are provided by a company specializing in web ads. I really don't trust ads at all.

I understand the need to make revenue to keep the site up, though.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
  • I haven't had any issues with ad-blocker blocking methods since I started using Anti-Adblock Killer. If a site really wanted me to turn off my adblocker, they should ensure that 99% of the ads won't track me or have malicious content.

I would say 100% but there's always that chance of a malicious ad sneaking in. I would have to also really love the site to even begin considering turning off my adblocker.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Url shrinkers like Linkshirnk are nasty buggers that pesters to disable your adblock even you just disable it on their site and still demand to you to disable all instead just linkshrink. I have to keep pushing F5 just to bypass and short.est probably make the wait bit longer by making it wait for 15 seconds if adblock isn't disable on that site, but if it is disabled, the site would redirect after 5 seconds.

I have hide my adblock on my chrome and in firefox I try anti-adblock killer.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • I use Ad Blocker Plus because I just don't trust ads, I've seen so many dead PCs and Laptops due to viruses getting it through ad pop-ups and well, its frustrating when I have to fix em.

Years
  • I use adblockers because of the damn autoplay video ads. Only reason why. Anyways, for most sites I go to, I feel I can trust that they wouldn't wanna harm their users by supporting ad campaigns that contain malware/viruses. I'd love to support, but as long as autoplay is a thing, adblockers aren't going anywhere for me.

Sir Codin

Ad Block Programs are a godsend. Advertising makes the internet unbearable. I can't even count the number of times I've browsed a web page before using AdBlock and gotten pissed off because a pop-up ad was blocking what I was trying to read.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    The way I see it is if you need me to make my laptop unsafe to see your site then you really don't want me there in the first place. You want me to view your site then make me feel like I can view it without anything happening.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't like it. I use ad-block because of some of my special needs. Plus, I tend to click in certain areas, especially without realizing it. Ads are also really slow to load for me as well. I use Chrome, which can be really slow at times as it is. I don't need to have unneeded ads making it worse. >____>

There's actually this sitemodel site that does this. I tried to get on it once because I wanted to meet new friends. They won't even let you get passed it unless you buy a subscription to their site. It was so awful. They started doing this a while back, and they are STILL doing it too. The problem with their ads is they are very flashy and animated. They trigger my special needs so much, and I even told them this... but they didn't care.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'm just gonna drop this in here. It works in conjunction with Grease(Tamper)Monkey and Adblock Plus to disable those pesky advertisements that persist through adblock, anti-adblock messages/scripts/exploits being executed through your browser.

Please note that this requires Adblock Plus and, Greasemonkey (FF) (OR) Tampermonkey (Chrome/Opera) (OR) Violentmonkey (Opera) (OR) NinjaKit (Safari) to function at it's maximal potential. But the website steps you through the setup process of getting all the components installed.

https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/

Install Instructions: https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer#anti-adblock-killer--reek
    Please use only github.org links to perform userscript installs; as this is the safest method.
    You must ensure that your ad blocker is subscribed to the AAB list. https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/#settings <-- Check here for the button once you have the userscript installed to find the subscribe button, so you can ensure your adblocker itself is configured correctly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zet
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I use AdBlock because I hate advertisements. They're nothing but malware and spyware and they like to disguise themselves in the background wallpaper of a website. I've already heard the age-old argument of how AdBlock doesn't support Youtubers and sites that thrive off of the income. However the way I see it, I really don't care. If Youtubers want to make money off their videos so badly, use Patreon. Either that or just get a real job even if it means working retail or fast food. As for those anime/manga streaming sites, they're illegal anyways so if they die off from no ads, I won't cry about it. All the other big corporations that own websites already get their finances from other services so I doubt they'll be hurt much if they don't get my ad support. I think it's a stupid idea for Forbes to do this as it just drives people away. There are millions of other news-reporting websites so if you're gonna keep me away because of AdBlock, I'll go on another news site.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Yea, Forbes will actually prevent you from using their site if you have ad blocking software. So, I just don't go there anymore. There are better sites anyways so nothing of value was lost.

Years
  • I went on forbes today to check it and it worked fine for me. I use adblock for everything even youtube, I dont like people moaning about how that hurts their income because if you cant afford to live off of streaming/videos get another job until you can.

The only sites that have actually tried to block me are those virus ridden sports streaming ones which is hilarious because what they're doing is illegal and they try to justify making money from it. lol no.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I whitelist a few you tube channels I like everything else gets blocked, sites like Forbes are really annoying like this especially when they have an article I want to read but I don't want to risk getting Malware from turning my Adblock off.

Zet

Years
  • I'm just gonna drop this in here. It works in conjunction with Grease(Tamper)Monkey and Adblock Plus to disable those pesky advertisements that persist through adblock, anti-adblock messages/scripts/exploits being executed through your browser.

Please note that this requires Adblock Plus and, Greasemonkey (FF) (OR) Tampermonkey (Chrome/Opera) (OR) Violentmonkey (Opera) (OR) NinjaKit (Safari) to function at it's maximal potential. But the website steps you through the setup process of getting all the components installed.

https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/

Install Instructions: https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer#anti-adblock-killer--reek
    Please use only github.org links to perform userscript installs; as this is the safest method.
    You must ensure that your ad blocker is subscribed to the AAB list. https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/#settings <-- Check here for the button once you have the userscript installed to find the subscribe button, so you can ensure your adblocker itself is configured correctly.
    I would recommend uBlock Origin over Adblock Plus. uBlock Origin doesn't have any acceptable ads, and runs faster than ABP as well.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Plus, I tend to click in certain areas, especially without realizing it.
    Same, I hate it so much. I'll have my hand just resting on my mouse and unintentionally click or right-click, or when I'm on websites, end up accidentally clicking on spaces that bring me to advertising or other stuff like that.

I would recommend uBlock Origin over Adblock Plus. uBlock Origin doesn't have any acceptable ads, and runs faster than ABP as well.
    You can turn off non-intrusive advertising on Adblock though.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I would recommend uBlock Origin over Adblock Plus. uBlock Origin doesn't have any acceptable ads, and runs faster than ABP as well.

Due to the fact that you can in fact opt out of the "Acceptable" ads by visiting the extension settings, I don't have any beef with ABP personally and recommend it still over μBO

Zet

Years
  • Having it as opt-out is unacceptable. It should be opt-in. Having it on by default could lead to problems exactly like what just very recently happened with Forbes.

Back