• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Collection/Battling RPG/JRPGs?!

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2015
    Sup guys,

I'm new to the forums. I've been searching for some good monster collection/battling RPG games that are on PC, and haven't found any good ones.

I've tried Monster Legends/Monster Galaxy on facebook, but it's not doing it for me. Also tried the numerous pokemon online fan made games, but most are too similar to pokemon, which I can already play on my handhelds. More recently, I tried monster battle TCG which was okay.

Do you guys have any other recommendations? (If it has some co-op/guild mechanic, that would be ideal).

Thanks in advance.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • You aren't going to find much on a PC. Your best bet is to download emulators and get handhelds and consoles.

Shin Megami Tensei and it's brethren (some of the games are Japan only and need a translation patch) (Various systems from NES to 3DS and Vita).
    Yokai Watch (Only in Japan, but they are working on localizing it) (3DS).

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2015
    You aren't going to find much on a PC. Your best bet is to download emulators and get handhelds and consoles.

Shin Megami Tensei and it's brethren (some of the games are Japan only and need a translation patch) (Various systems from NES to 3DS and Vita).
    Yokai Watch (Only in Japan, but they are working on localizing it) (3DS).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am curious why these types of games are not well representing on PC/Kongregate/Facebook. I mean, it is because no one wants to play these types of games on their PC? There are so many choices on handheld already...and I like playing in a bigger screen.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • I was about to list Android JRPG's and KRPG's until you mentioned PC...sadly just like what Urist stated, you can't find much. Unless it's a JRPG made from RPG Maker VX Ace, then maybe...

Years
  • Well as some have said SMT, also another one are the DS Digimon games which can be played on an emulator although if you want pure PC there's Digimon Masters Online which is an mmorpg and I think there's guilds although it's really grind heavy and has an autobattle system that you see in most free to play mmos.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2015
    Are you guys satisfied with the quality of monster capture games out there? Most just seem like a clone of pokemon. Especially on mobile...

pkmin3033

I've often seen the monster capture gimmick as a substitute for having a proper party of characters...but then, in the games I've played, that has often been the case. It throws you two main characters, then realizing that isn't enough, lets you recruit monsters to your party. Never mind that there are dozens of side characters - most of them more interesting than the two you control - who would make excellent party members!

You could try Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on PS3, to name but three that require you to collect monsters to form your party and aren't hugely similar to Pokemon.

Of course, if you just want to battle the things, pretty much any JRPG is going to let you do that, although if you want a game that solely focuses on it, I'd suggest Monster Hunter, or Soul Sacrifice Delta...anything but Ragnarok Odyssey.

Back