• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleeves?

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
Does anyone use/recommend sleeves for the pokemon cards? My 9yr son can be rough on his stuff, and wondering if the sleeves would extend the life of them? We do not have anything all that special, couple-few holos, some rares, but nothing that looked like a lot of cash on Ebay so not worried that much about that, though I guess that could change. :) Looks like I can get 500 Ultra Pro clear sleeves for $10.41 shipped on EBay so that is well within our budget. If you do think sleeves are good, are those good ones?

Thanks!

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Hello again vydor !
Personally when it comes to choosing sleeves I use ULTRA PRO Black Sleeves (50) for my Pokemon decks and for Yu-gi-oh I use Player's choice White (60) and Ultra Pro Black (50 or 60).

Solid colours are the cheapest and less likely to get marked.
Personally I would avoid White if your son likes to eat/drink snacks whilst playing and stick to darker colours like Black and Blue.

I've found that the "clear" sleeves are mainly used for just sending cards in with a hard plastic top loader. I would not recommend them for gaming purposes as they are too thin and will easily tear/split.

MAX Protection sleeves are usually more expensive because they have pretty designs on them, but they aren't as good quality and I would avoid them as they can be easily "marked" and split.

Player's choice and Remove from Game seem to be the highest quality sleeves on the market for MTG, Pokemon, Vanguard and Yu-Gi-OH.
They are however more expensive but less likely to split from shuffling (in my experience).

eBay is the site which you will most likely find the best selection and you get more discount for buying in bulk, so it is up to you.

If you want the summary, try ULTRA PRO solid colour like Black,Green, Blue and if they can't meet your standard, upgrade to Player's choice or Remove from Game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
Great! My wife (who now has a deck to... does it ever end? :laugh:) informed me that she must have green sleeves for her Green Tornado deck... so I guess we will get colors!

I assume you can see the cards through them?

I shop a bit on ebay, so will grab them there. At this rate, probably should get a 1000 or 2.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 31, 2016
Great! My wife (who now has a deck to... does it ever end? :laugh:) informed me that she must have green sleeves for her Green Tornado deck... so I guess we will get colors!

I assume you can see the cards through them?

I shop a bit on ebay, so will grab them there. At this rate, probably should get a 1000 or 2.

The face of the card will have a clear portion of the sleeve covering it. The colored part is actually to cover the back of the card.

Back