• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The clouds in Y's box art and the fact that it's based on a bird make me believe that it will be part flying. However what if it's primary type, along with Xerneas is Fairy? Thus far four Pokémon have yet to have their types revealed, those being Sylveon, Newtwo and the mascots. I think that there's a chance all four may be at least part new type if one does exist.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
The clouds in Y's box art and the fact that it's based on a bird make me believe that it will be part flying. However what if it's primary type, along with Xerneas is Fairy? Thus far four Pokémon have yet to have their types revealed, those being Sylveon, Newtwo and the mascots. I think that there's a chance all four may be at least part new type if one does exist.

To hear Mewtwo being a "Fairy"...it might scare some people xD

As for Xerneas, it could be a new type, but I think it would be kind of odd for "omg new type in this gen!!" and then only one mascot is the new type (because I honestly can't see Ylveltal being a new type...especially one that is called "Fairy," even if Ylveltal has mythological origins).
I definitely agree that Ylveltal will probably be part Flying. If we're going by the boxart, the foliage on X's tells me Xerneas will be part Grass.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Anyone notice how Yveltal's art pose sorta looks like a Heart? Like if it closes in more.

Also it's heart/chest area glowed in the first video.

Years
Anyone notice how Yveltal's art pose sorta looks like a Heart? Like if it closes in more.

Also it's heart/chest area glowed in the first video.
It's suppose to be a Y. I think that glowing may have been the light passing though it's body as it's suppose to represent width, while Xerneas is height.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't really think that X and Y have anything to do with axes and dimensions. I think they're more to correspond with chromosomes. Maybe Xerneas will be a female Pokémon and Yveltal will be male as a representation of that?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't really think that X and Y have anything to do with axes and dimensions. I think they're more to correspond with chromosomes. Maybe Xerneas will be a female Pokémon and Yveltal will be male as a representation of that?

It's suppose to be a Y. I think that glowing may have been the light passing though it's body as it's suppose to represent width, while Xerneas is height.

Yeah I think the axis idea isn't gonna happen.

Also it would be the other way around, Y is the vertical 'height' axis whilst X is the horizontal one. Quite how light passing through it can link to either of those though I have no idea.

Years
I think it's a double take on them or a double pun of sorts, meaning both meanings could very well apply.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think it's a double take on them or a double pun of sorts, meaning both meanings could very well apply.

It very well could be, but I don't see it being that way honestly. Gen IV kind of took on time, space, and dimensions already, so repeating the theme kind of seems odd to me. They very well could do it again, but I don't think it will personally.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Doesnt Yveltal look like a scale?
%253D%253Futf-8%253FB%253FzrbPhc6zzrHPgc65zqwuanBn%253F%253D-777321

I am guessing that on its tail it will put the creature whose soul it wants to weight and on its hands it will weight the evil and the good of the soul.
If the evil is superior he will be sent to the 3rd legendary
If the good is superior he will be sent to xerneas.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
I think they're way better than the Zekrom and Reshiram.. At first I didn't really like the B/W legendaries.. These 2 are just instant love! The stag is so gorgeous! Mine mine mine! :)

Years
It very well could be, but I don't see it being that way honestly. Gen IV kind of took on time, space, and dimensions already, so repeating the theme kind of seems odd to me. They very well could do it again, but I don't think it will personally.
I was mainly referring the basis of the games names, and why the impact on the axis basis on the designs of the legends rather than the theme of the legends. I think the legends are a mix of Norse with Axis design wise.
Also I saw this kite (the bird) on Wikipedia when I was looking on India's page. It sort of reminded me of Yvetal, the bird is connected to the legendary Garuda. the Garuda is the enemy of the Naga (a serpent) similar to how the serpent and the eagle in Norse hate one another, so I'm really thinking the third legendary will be a Serpentine Dragon type Pokemonof some kind, especially considering the third legends tend as of late are expies of Rayquaza (more so Origin forme Giratina).
Btw Giratina is suppose to represent Anti-matter according to Gamefreak.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I think they're way better than the Zekrom and Reshiram.. At first I didn't really like the B/W legendaries.. These 2 are just instant love! The stag is so gorgeous! Mine mine mine! :)

I definitely agree. Zekrom and Reshiram were just more unnecessary legendary dragons. I mean dang, we just got 3 of them in the previous titles. How unoriginal is that. Anyway, Xerneas and Yveltal stand out so much when it comes to previous legendaries and version mascots. Their designs are intricate and stunning; it is so very refreshing.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
I definitely agree. Zekrom and Reshiram were just more unnecessary legendary dragons. I mean dang, we just got 3 of them in the previous titles. How unoriginal is that. Anyway, Xerneas and Yveltal stand out so much when it comes to previous legendaries and version mascots. Their designs are intricate and stunning; it is so very refreshing.

True that! It's like Pokémon is down to earth again! When I first saw the cover of White 2, I even thought that White and Black Kyurem didn't really look like a Pokémon.. Not that I didn't enjoy the game, I loved it! It's just that especially Xerneas, and Yveltal as well, feel way more Pokémon-like!

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
I even thought that White and Black Kyurem didn't really look like a Pokémon.
I agree somewhat White and Black Kyurem's designs were really complicated to say the least especially on the D.S. screen however Unova as a whole was very technology based. Xereneas and Yveltal however are very natural looking which really fits with the very pure looking Kalos region and compared to the other tiltle legends they seem really unique =)

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 3, 2017
Xerneas is definitely more interesting than Yveltal. The multicolor antlers lead me to believe that Xerneas might have a broader move set, while Yvetal looks like a cut and dry dark flying type. Additonally, Xerneas is definitely a much better take on the "horned mammal" design of the three fighting type legends from black and white. He looks far more majestic and "legendary" than the more feral, violent looking Yveltal.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Hmm, well I think both Pokemon are interesting and beautifully-designed, but I definitely like Yveltal's design a lot more. He looks like he could rip anything apart like an evil beast of ancient legend. I just look at his design, and all I can think is "Badass!" Yveltal might very well become my favorite legendary if they play his background story right. But hey, I always have a soft-spot for dark, intimidating, and powerful-looking things. Xerneas has that mysterious and regal air about it, but it doesn't have that edge to it. You look at it, and you can pretty much sum it up as being an agent of goodwill and love.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 3, 2017
Another thing I've considered while observing the two is the new feature that allows you to ride pokemon. With the possibility that I might be able to ride either of them, I'll always choose the one that doesn't look like its going to eat me lol.

Back