• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: 3rd generation's multiplayer capabilities

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
  • (Seeing as how I don't have a computer at the moment, everything here is based on memory and hasn't been tested in a while.)

I've always been fascinated by the real-time movement between multiple players in the 3rd gen and dissapointed at its wasted potential. All you can do is read each other's trainer cards and take your seats. In the 1st and 2nd gen, the other player was stationary and all you could do was take your seat. Now that players can move freely, why should it be restricted to a small room?

Quite some time ago, I attempted to form a collaboration for a project with the goal of expanding multiplayer possibilities. My expectations were at the least, being able to make a fun sort of lobby for multiplayer hanging out and at the most, creating whole new features and modes for multiplayer. Unfortunately, no one was interested, so I put the project on hold due to my limited knowledge and other priorities. Now, I randomly felt like resurrecting the idea, even though I can't do anything yet. So I'll post my findings here in hopes of at least gathering interest, hopefully inspiring others to experiment as well.

So far, I've only tested Ruby. I have no idea what behavior differences, if any, there are in Emerald and Firered. I expanded the Mixing Records room map into a large outdoor area and experimented with everything I can think of, seeing what can be done in multiplayer mode and what can't. Lets start with what isn't possible:

-sign events simply won't function. Luckily a sign event's script offset can be assigned to a person event, allowing for an easy workaround.
    -warp events and map connections won't work, crushing my hopes of establishing a co-op mode. Everything will have to be fit on one map, which for fortunately plenty spacious.
    -the contests can't function, it causes an immediate link error.
    -slots and I think roulette won't work, crushing my hopes of multiplayer gambling. Interestingly, the games themselves actually work, but will always cause a link error when attempting to quit.
    -randomly wandering NPCs are dangerious. They move in different directions on each screen, easily causing desyncing issues. I believe walking in set paths is safe, just don't make them random.
    -wild Pokemon can't be encountered, at least not with tall grass. Can't remember what happens with other methods

Now for what I remember can function:

-person events work, allowing for NPCs, items, and who knows what else
    -HMs are fully functional, allowing for surfing, rock puzzles, and obstacles. Can't remember if Dive functions.
    -shops are fully functional.
    -can't remember if Pokemon Center style healing works, but I do remember other healing methods working, like your mother or a bed.

Now for the gray area. These are either complicated, untested, or I simply can't remember the results:

-I can't for the life of me remember if scripts are functional. I didn't know much about scripting then, so if they work, that's a whole new area for the testing!
    -Battling is risky. Trainer battles with NPCs do work, but often result in random link errors. Still, I have been able to finish battle without issue but considering that link errors occur randomly, it's hard to say whether the risk is worth it or not.
    -I can't get battling, trading, and record mixing with other players to work. Sad considering that's the original purpose for multiplayer. Still, considering how strict and sensitive the multiplayer rooms are, it could be that I'm doing something wrong. So I'm not listing this as impossible yet
    -I can't remember if tile functions like Mach Bike slopes and cliffs work. They might've, but like I said, can't remember.
    -I can't remember which wild Pokemon methods I've tested, so I don't know if fishing, rock breaking, or events can spawn wild Pokemon.
    -I don't remember testing day care, berry blending, NPC trading, weather, key items, and anything not listed. So that's all a mystery for now.

That's all I have at the moment. If I could, I'd love to continue this research. For now, all I can do is report what I can remember. Feel free to discuss, experiment, and add knowledge to the topic. If anyone's inspired enough, go ahead and start a multiplayer project without me. I don't care sbout taking credit, nor am I obligated to lead the project myself. I would if I could, but all I'm hoping for is interest in this topic. I don't want it to dwindle away like last time.

Back