• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-Game Fighting Style

Years
  • What kind of strategy do you employ when you battle in games? For example, do you use boosting moves? Do you have a variety of attacks? Or are you just the kind of person to spam the same move over and over? More importantly, do you even think about what you're doing in battle?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • For the countless battles against wild pokémon and generic trainers, I just power my way through with my strongest attacks, but for gym leaders, elite four, and the like, I prefer to use stall techniques such as Toxic, Leech Seed, Substitute, etc...

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
  • I play like a buffoon lol

Basically i use hard hitting attacks mixed with boosting and priority. I have one goal in mind, fight hard regardless of type match up or disadvantage (paying attention of course to immunity and 4x effectiveness).

In this style I find pokemon battles to be fun and even deep at times.

But i certainly lose a lot >_<

Luckily, winning isn't all that matters right??? ......

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • When i was younger (and i mean i was a genwunner) i didn't really thought about what i do in battle. Now, i am way more calculated although i still make stupid mistakes like forgetting type advantages and thus doing stupid moves..

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I'm battling in-game, I wouldn't utilize any strategy at all; I would only use attacks that deal actual damage. Online, though, yes, I do go with some strategy. Without it, you just won't be able to outsmart your opponent. If you can't, chances of you winning would be highly unlikely.

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
  • Strategy can get boring. So I guess it just depends...

Is one battling to win?
    Is one battling for fun?
    Is one battling simply to battle?

It does boil down to rock paper scissors, this pokemon stuff.

I pretty much only play for fun. I am thinking about doing that golden dragon tourny after some intense training tho. Seems like it would be fun. I've only ever competed in console games and card games. Handheld is my next frontier!

Edit: Ps
    I am not an expert. Simply a dude who loves pokemon since forever.

Years
  • Attaaaack! I just use whatever the most effective damaging move is. Rarely use status boosters unless I'm in a position where I absolutely should.. like some E4 battles where I had a hard time and spamming, say, sand attack did wonders haha.

That usually does the trick. Having balanced damaging moves of varying types helps out a lot for many of the battles I run into.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I use a variety of attacks in battle. I use elemental teams so I factor in stats and choose my attacks based on the role they were built for. I usually end up with a supporting grass type; a tricky flying type; a fast yet hard hitting electric and fire type with low defense; a slow yet hard hitting ground or steel type with high defense; and a versatile water type.

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    I just basically go for the type advantages i can go for to do maximum damage to the opponent,stat boosters like swords dance never really appeared to me till now lol,ever since I had my swords dance scizor i would just battle my friends and use 3 swords dance and OHKO all their pokes

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • 3 steps for me ;)

1. Raise my own pokemon's stats (Mostly Atk/Sp.Atk I'm after)

2. Lower my opponent's stats (Mostly Def/Sp.Def I'am after)

3. Attack >:3!

I normally switch to use super effective types pokemon, or just switch to counter the opponent's move into my own desired plan. I rarely used status condition moves, but they are useful when it comes ^^

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • I,m A real tanker most of the time, I buffer My pokemon's Lowerd the enemy's stat's and take hit's. At the End I strike, and most of the time it works :D

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    For in-game battles all I do is all put attack, never using any boosting moves. However, occasionally I do find a trainer that I can't defeat this way so I usually just spam something like Double Team to be able to win.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2015
    I usually just teach my Pokémon a ton of different-type moves, so they can 1-Hit-KO everything in their sight once they hit a certain level.

Years
  • I use the least amount of strategy possible if I'm battling in game (and am not at the Battle Frontier, PWT, etc.). 90% of the time I'll just go for an attack, but once and a while I'll go with status moves when using weaker Pokemon, just to give them an upper hand in trying to win the battle.

I think the only real exception to this was my Butterfree in HeartGold, where I used a combination of Supersonic and PoisonPowder for the longest time, before I switched over to Sleep Powder and Dream Eater, which still relies on the status move first.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • In-game i just try to have my Pokemon learn moves from various types, so that they can respond to any Pokemon with some kind of attack. I barely ever use stall, or for that matter, any type of advanced technique, and boosting moves only very rarely.

Years
  • My in-game battling style involves me usually teaching different coverage moves to my Pokemon alongside their main STAB attacks, and sometimes I may utilize set-up moves or status conditions when necessary. I also try to take advantage of which side of the damaging spectrum the Pokemon is better at performing - physical or special. I also try and use super-effective moves when possible.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • "Why can we just attack everything?"

^ That's me in-game.

I find that I don't want to waste time boosting my stats and such since most of the battles in game are short. xD

For gym leaders and elite four, I make sure that I'm at least 5 levels over their Pokemon to make sure I won't lose. xD I'm such a great trainer

Back