• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event code is too long to fit on a single line and causes an error

Pookachurin

Pooka The Pikachu
Years
  • Hello! I was wondering if anyone can help me with this weird problem I'm having. I'm trying to initiate a rival battle but for some reason I'm getting the following error message:
    Spoiler:

I can tell that the problem is somewhere in the Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character (0)) section but I'm not sure how to fix it. If anyone knows how to fix this please reply, thanks!

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Looks like you may be missing a leading or ending parentheses in one of your scripts, as your error message is saying that a certain line shouldn't be beginning with '('

Pookachurin

Pooka The Pikachu
    Years
  • Looks like you may be missing a leading or ending parentheses in one of your scripts, as your error message is saying that a certain line shouldn't be beginning with '('

I think the problem is that the Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0)) is seperated into two lines: the Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character and the (0)). The issue is that I can't make it so that it's all one line for some reason.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    That's what the "extendtext" file included in the Essentials download is for! Open the event you're editing, edit the script line in question and, while the text box is open, run extendtext.exe. It should make the text box large enough to fit the whole thing on one line.

Pookachurin

Pooka The Pikachu
    Years
  • That's what the "extendtext" file included in the Essentials download is for! Open the event you're editing, edit the script line in question and, while the text box is open, run extendtext.exe. It should make the text box large enough to fit the whole thing on one line.

Just tried to use the "entendtext" file, nothing happened. I opened the script box and then the exe file but it didn't work. I tried running the exe file as an administrator and it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what's going on.

Pookachurin

Pooka The Pikachu
    Years
  • Problem solved! Instead of using the extendtext file, I figured out that I could separate the lines like so:
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(
    get_character(0))

It works because the first "(" is on the first line and the every thing inside of that is on the second line.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Hm. It's odd that extendtext didn't work for you (it was fine when I tried it quickly to make sure I remembered how it worked), but I'm glad you found a way around it! I feel like I've actually heard people mention that solution before as well, but honestly it's been such a long time since I've done any serious fiddling with events that I'm surprised I even remembered extendtext, haha.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Problem solved! Instead of using the extendtext file, I figured out that I could separate the lines like so:
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(
    get_character(0))

It works because the first "(" is on the first line and the every thing inside of that is on the second line.
    Genius. Maybe the error message should explain exactly how to fix this erro-

***Line '(0))' shouldn't begin with '('. Try
    putting '(' at the end of the previous line instead,
    or using Extendtext.
    ***Full script:
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character
    (0))
    ...Oh.

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer
    Years
  • Just tried to use the "entendtext" file, nothing happened. I opened the script box and then the exe file but it didn't work. I tried running the exe file as an administrator and it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what's going on.
    If you're running Windows Vista (and maybe some other versions of windows, idk), you have to run as an administrator the first time. Once you try to open it normally extendtext will be running in the background, but it won't do anything. You'd have to open up the task manager and close extendtext that way before you try to run it again as an administrator.

Back