• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
  • I recently restarted Emerald and got to Victory Road where I ran into a trainer with Mawile, and briefly panicked. Thanks, XY OU.

That's hilarious. I forget normal Mawile even exists sometimes :[

I battled a CritDra yesterday. Didn't know that was a set. It THEORETICALLY sounds OP. Scope Lens + Sniper + Focus Energy = always crits for 2.25x and ignores -SpA from Draco Meteor. WHY AM I NOT RUNNING THIS? Guess he's susceptible to revenge kills though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Breaking news, folks: Mega Salamence, Mega Altaria and Mega Lopunny are confirmed.

Personally, I saw Mega Salamence coming a mile away. Altaria and Lopunny, on the other hand, I was surprised at.

Mega Mence has Aerilate as its new ability; Mega Altaria is Dragon/Fairy with Pixilate; Mega Lopunny is Normal/Fighting with Scrappy. I think Mega Mence makes good use of Aerialte, IMO, since it has no good Flying STAB outside of Aerial Ace.

Anyway, potential move sets:

Salamence:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Return
    -Fire Blast/Earthquake
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Salamencite (if that's the name of the Mega Stone)

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Salamencite

Altaria (its DD set may be a bit inferior compared to Mence, but it's got nice bulk pre-Mega Evo):
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Return
    -Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/192 SDef/64 Spe
    Item: Altarite (if that's the name of the Mega Stone)
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast/Power Swap
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Altarite
    Ability: Natural Cure

Lopunny would be a poor man's Mega Kangaskhan, assuming it gets a decently-sized Attack boost. The scan says Lopunny's Special Attack gets buffed too, but I don't think it'll be that useful:
    -Fake Out
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick (appears to have gained it, as it used it in the scan)
    -Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Lopunnyite (if that's the name of the Mega Stone)
    Ability: Limber

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Mega Mence and Lopbunny seem broken (read: probably) if they have half decent attacking stats "huge surprise".

Mega Altaria will be cool on stalls, awesome defensive typing, Roost, Roar, Heal Bell, Perish Song etc.

Though to be honest i think game freak should just stop with the megas, its like running into a wall face first with your mouth open onto a questionable shaped (see: banana) object, getting hurt then doing it again and expecting a different result when you clearly failed at existing/life the first 15 times.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was expecting MegaMence too, and a lot of people were actually predicting (or at least hoping for) a Dragon/Fairy Mega Altaria. Mega Loppuny was a surprise to me....but I wish that something else got a mega though. I never liked Loppunny to begin with.

MegaTaria is the the most interesting one to me, mainly because of what Elf said and that it gets Pixilated Hyper Voices. Not sure how MegaMence and Mega Loppunny will effect the meta; it'd help if we knew what the stat boosts were.

I don't mind if Game Freak makes a few more Mega Evolutions. Keywords: a few. It's not a bad concept imo, but too many megas is a bad idea and kinda makes it not special. Wtf is the point of Megas and the base form if every Pokemon gets a Mega Evolution.

And then there's people who're like "I think it'd be a good idea if all fully evolved pokes got a mega one day" or something like that, and I think to myself:

What the hell is wrong with you?!

Years
  • It's pretty nice that you don't need to go through such a painful process to get Hyper Voice on Altaria given it's an egg move and that means no "transfer from B2/W2" required. Still, Dragon/Fairy is, as I said in OR/AS's Megas thread, a mixed bag.

It gains two new weaknesses (Poison and Steel duh) and loses the Ground immunity, but at least Ice is now 2x weakness instead of the crippling 4x. The other problem I see is that Dragon and Fairy is redundant as an attacking combination (Dragon is only SE on Dragon, something which Fairy is also SE on) but I'm sure it'll still get some competitive relevance.

Mega Lopunny on the other hand... Shedinja may be pretty much the only thing that can wall the bunny's STABs (solely because of Wonder Guard) but of course with those elemental punches it can get the coverage it needs. But yeah, Normal/Fighting is pretty potent as an attacking combination given normally Ghost-types are the only easy way to wall it but with Scrappy that is totally irrelevant.

As for Mega Salamence, PlatDude's moveset ideas are pretty nice. Salamence itself didn't learn many good Flying moves (Aerial Ace is weak, while Fly gives opponents a turn to switch to something that resisted it) so Aerilate-boosted Returns are something the opponent has to watch out for, especially after a Dragon Dance.

But after a good look, Salamence can either weaken the opponent's Attack with Intimidate (to help its physical bulk) or flat-out KO something to trigger Moxie before Mega Evolving so it has an Attack boost going into the Mega Evolution. Given 'Mence fell a tier this generation (blame those Fairy-types) I'm sure the Mega will make it shine again, especially coming after the recent ban of Aegislash.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I also realized something: Mega Salamence would become more dangerous in VGC/doubles formats because it has Aerilated Hyper Voices as a spread move:
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Tailwind
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    The opposing Manectric used Flamethrower!
    It's super effective! Breloom lost 71.6% of its health!
    Breloom used Spore!
    The opposing Manectric fell asleep!
    Breloom restored HP using its Poison Heal!
    I <3 Breloom so much.

Much too tanky.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As much as I hate to announce this, Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino are confirmed.

Mega Slowbro retains its Water/Psychic type and has Shell Armor. Mega Audino is now Normal/Fairy with Healer (one of vanilla Audino's regular abilities, in fact).

I think they're rather underwhelming, IMO. The loss of Regenerator for Mega Slowbro kinda hurts. However, Calm Mind Mega Slowbro at least has some use, as Shell Armor blocks critical hit hax from ruining it. Slowbro can also hold off of Mega Evolving on purpose to take advantage of Regenerator early game, then Mega Evolve late-game.

Mega Audino, on the other hand, appears to be geared towards doubles; Healer is useless in singles. Of course, Mega Audino faces stiff competition from Aromatisse as a doubles supporter and other Megas for the Mega slot.

Anyway, potential sets:

Mega Slowbro:
    -Calm Mind
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam/Fire Blast
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef
    Item: Slowbronite (assuming that's the name of the Mega Stone)
    Ability: Regenerator

Mega Audino (doubles only):
    -Trick Room
    -Heal Pulse/Safeguard/Helping Hand
    -Dazzling Gleam/Hyper Voice/Return
    -Protect
    Nature: Sassy/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Audinonite (assuming name of Mega Stone)

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Oh goody they are actually thinking about defensive Pokemon this time rather than "hurrrrr durr lets give Mawile base 105 atk and Huge Power sounds balanced brah......oh wait no it doesnt, we'll balance the game and give defense Avalugg to help with this
    hurr_durr_derp_face_gurrrrrta_derp_em_all-s500x375-301378.jpg
    !" -_-

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's nice that we're getting some more defensive Megas.....but I really don't care for these two. And Slowbro wants Leftovers+Regenrator. IDK how useful Shell Armor is for it.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Given 'Mence fell a tier this generation (blame those Fairy-types) I'm sure the Mega will make it shine again, especially coming after the recent ban of Aegislash.

Salamence did not fell a tier because of Fairy-types (reason: Iron Tail + 135 Attack), but rather because there are simply better options in this metagame. DD Mence is badly outclassed by DD Mega Zard X and Dragonite thanks to their much higher bulk (and the latter also has ExtremeSpeed), Kyurem-B does mixed better unless you really need Fire Blast (and even then, there's Hydreigon), and Choice Scarf is just plain bad and again outclassed by Cube. On top of that, Salamence is easy to revenge kill, unlike the other dragons I mentioned. Talonflame can OHKO with CB Brave Bird (can't say the same for the other dragons), Weavile and Mamo with Ice Shard, CB Scizor with Bullet Punch aafter rocks and Thundurus can stop its sweep with Thunder Wave.

Also, Mence wins against Aegislash 1-on-1, unless the ghost sword carries HP Ice

Years
  • I also realized something: Mega Salamence would become more dangerous in VGC/doubles formats because it has Aerilated Hyper Voices as a spread move:
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Tailwind
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

it depends wheter hyper voice is put in the move tutors usually some usefull tutors are replaced and in vgc you can only use pokemon bred in that region besides mence alrdy is pretty good in doubles

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • it depends wheter hyper voice is put in the move tutors usually some usefull tutors are replaced and in vgc you can only use pokemon bred in that region besides mence alrdy is pretty good in doubles

This doesn't stop you from using B2/W2 Mega Salamence with Hyper Voice in Battle Spot/Wi-Fi battles, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This doesn't stop you from using B2/W2 Mega Salamence with Hyper Voice in Battle Spot/Wi-Fi battles, though.
    Yeeeeeeah, but breeding in Gen 5 or earlier sucks. I'd very much like it if ORAS has the Black2/White2 move tutors in it.

Years
  • As much as I hate to announce this, Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino are confirmed.

Mega Slowbro retains its Water/Psychic type and has Shell Armor. Mega Audino is now Normal/Fairy with Healer (one of vanilla Audino's regular abilities, in fact).

I think they're rather underwhelming, IMO. The loss of Regenerator for Mega Slowbro kinda hurts. However, Calm Mind Mega Slowbro at least has some use, as Shell Armor blocks critical hit hax from ruining it. Slowbro can also hold off of Mega Evolving on purpose to take advantage of Regenerator early game, then Mega Evolve late-game.

Mega Audino, on the other hand, appears to be geared towards doubles; Healer is useless in singles. Of course, Mega Audino faces stiff competition from Aromatisse as a doubles supporter and other Megas for the Mega slot.

Anyway, potential sets:

Mega Slowbro:
    -Calm Mind
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam/Fire Blast
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef
    Item: Slowbronite (assuming that's the name of the Mega Stone)
    Ability: Regenerator

Mega Audino (doubles only):
    -Trick Room
    -Heal Pulse/Safeguard
    -Dazzling Gleam/Hyper Voice/Return
    -Protect
    Nature: Sassy/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Audinonite (assuming name of Mega Stone)

I agree with your thoughts on Mega Slowbro being outclassed by Regenerator Slowbro but still love the set you suggested for it. The fact you mentioned Calm Mind means the Mega's ability (Shell Armor) does have some benefit, given critical hits are notorious for breaking through stat buffs. Still, we'll wait and see which one benefits better competitively.

Mega Audino on the other hand, while the design looks great, it's not only gonna be useless in singles (Healer, pretty meh ability for a Mega but love the Normal/Fairy-type) but the fact you mentioned that Aromatisse and other Megas will be competing with it in doubles/triples means it may well be one of those Megas that only looks great design-wise and not competitive-wise. Still like the set you suggested for it though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2015
    has anyone ever run into haxmons while on pokemon showdown, etc? o.O I was in a battlespot doubles match when my opponent somehow got away with a friend guard gardevoir (illegal). I know that when you try to submit a team it will check for illegal stuff so I dunno how that got through.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    has anyone ever run into haxmons while on pokemon showdown, etc? o.O I was in a battlespot doubles match when my opponent somehow got away with a friend guard gardevoir (illegal). I know that when you try to submit a team it will check for illegal stuff so I dunno how that got through.
    Gardevoir could've gotten Friend Guard from one of your Pokemon via Trace, or it could've been Skill Swapped to it. Or maybe you were playing Hackmons and not Battlespot Doubles.

If none of those is the case, maybe report that user to a moderator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back