• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dating apps/sites

Years
  • So, they're everywhere these days. Sites like eHarmony and apps like Tinder. They're services in attempt to get people together and into relationships.

Do any of y'all have experience using dating apps/sites? What are your thoughts on them?

Years
  • I've used Tinder, and a few gay-only apps such as Jack'd, Scruff, Hornet, Growlr, and of course Grindr. Mind you, I didn't just use them for /dates/, but..I actually met my current boyfriend of almost a year on Grindr. So, whatever. I say, use them if you want to, but be responsible if you do more than /date/. It never hurts to try~

Years
  • I've used okcupid for a few years now. I've met all but 2 women I've been with online somehow. I've also got a pof account and a long dormant meetme account. I'm moving to Florida soon so I was checking out the local online scene and I think I'm gonna choose the old fashioned way of meeting women, asking at the bar if I can buy her a drink.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I tried Plenty of Fish at one point but it just seemed like a big pain in the butt to be honest. And the guys were just.....blah.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Not really. I mean, when I was friends with these fakes... we used to go on some of the free ones and ask for dates for them (yeah, it was really stupid). Other than that though, I have really no experience with them in regards to myself though. A lot of it is because I also already have a boyfriend.

What I've noticed though... is how you have to buy your way into it. I don't like sites that do this. That's probably why I never wasted my time dealing with them.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • My general opinion of dating apps/websites aren't very positive. I might be a little biased considering in my social circle, Tinder and the like are looked as mediums to hookups. And I dislike hookup culture on a whole. That being said, I know some relationships that have formed thanks to Tinder and they're honest relationships, which goes against the grain in my eyes. I personally would never use Tinder, unless it was a joke. To each their own. If you find happiness, then by all means.

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
  • I'd like to add on to this. For someone who has an easier time having conversations through a website or an app, wouldn't it be an issue when they meet someone in person?

As for the question asked, I don't have an answer because I have no experience with them and I can't say much about it. Aside from, they exist.

Years
  • Eh, it's common practice to talk for about a week or so, get to know one another a bit. Making it easier for both parties to meet one another.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I feel like a lot of these sites are tailored for the whole "Netflix and chill" thing goin on. To me it's real hard to know whether you and someone are compatible with pics and a paragraph. Maybe I'm just old school idk.

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I use them (Tindr) only to see who in the world would be interested in a very ugly person like me. Besides that, I don't expect anything to come from it.

Galho

Morning Bell
    Years
  • I feel like most of the dating apps end up in unpleasant communication with really desperate people, who tend to only go for the nudity theme and use the actual chatting as a bait to attract someone onto a more sexual environment. But again, its the same in real life, only that in these apps is more direct. Of course there are still people out there who can keep a decent talk; but i have the feeling that more than half of the conversations are gonna be unpleasant. It feels like you're grinding through the people you meet on these dating apps till you find someone interesting

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, meeting people online isn't much more sketchy than picking up someone at a bar. If anything it has the potential to be safer because you can take a heck of a lot more precautions. And it caters to all the introverts that technology is creating. (like, I'm sure as hell not going out to a bar to meet someone, lol). I'm sure a lot of the people on there "fluff" their profiles, but at least you can get an idea of their interests/hobbies/job/etc before you approach them.

My opinion on them is the same as pretty much anything else: Just do whatever you're comfortable with.

Perhaps they don't always work as planned, but they certainly can if you're really dedicated.

The only experience I, personally, have would be the personals section of Craigslist. :P

I met my current boyfriend of 2 years on there 'by accident.' I was browsing through the 'men seeking women' part for poops and giggles. I had zero interest in a relationship at the time, but CL is always good for a laugh, y'know? And I came across this post that was all of two sentences long. He had no picture up, the little tags just said he was 6'2 with blue eyes. He had totally butchered the English language, I could barely read it, his math didn't add up... so I messaged him to tell him all of that.

Now we live together.http://www.pokecommunity.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • The only experience I, personally, have would be the personals section of Craigslist. :P

I met my current boyfriend of 2 years on there 'by accident.' I was browsing through the 'men seeking women' part for poops and giggles.

There's a relationship part in craigslist??? What?! Why wasn't I informed of this!

Also, I met my girlfriend by Facebook. She's the cousin of one of my friend and she randomly posted on one of his status and I started screwing around with her telling her how hamsters are awesome, then she added me and we started talking and all those goodies. That was back in 2009, We've been together for 6 years right now.

Just liek Dustmop said, meeting someone online is no different than some random at the club/bar or whatever you're at. Both can lie about their life, and a lot of people start a conversation based on looks (if you have a picture up) but at least on the internet you can see their hobbies and all those. And you aren't in any danger to get picked up by some stranger danger you met at the club on the first night.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • i have used one once
    and i did not like what i saw
    or what i read
    when guys started chatting with me
    one of them was even so desperate he came on to me and told me he was in love or something only after couple hours
    i don't know

why pay for such websites when people use facebook as a dating website anyways
    might as well do it for free if you must​

Back