• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Best Version of RPG Maker to use?

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Hi there !!!

I am The_Learner....

Its been a while since I have involved in rom hacking,
previously few months back I had once downloaded pokemon essential (Its seems now as if it was older version) and thought to make an awesome RPG game (getting motivated by Zeta and Omricon)
but I felt that RPG was too complex than Gba hacking so then i abandoned my though.
But now I want to get back to Pokémon Essentials with a positive energy.....
So can you guys suggest me the best version of RPG for a beginner like me (I can learn thing fast though) so that I can learn more about Pokémon Essentials and make a RPG game with gen 1-7 as soon as possible...

.and also some links to the beginners tutorials and guides to essential :)

thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 20, 2017
RPG Maker XP can be bought cheap off Steam or their direct website.
It doesn't sound like it'll help if I list various websites that offer cheap alternatives to direct Steam purchases, so your best bet will be the $25 purchase on Steam.
Sorry.

There's nothing we can do to convince you of not obtaining RPG Maker XP illegally but it'll likely severely limit the support you'll get if you ever run into any issues.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
RPG Maker XP can be bought cheap off Steam or their direct website.
It doesn't sound like it'll help if I list various websites that offer cheap alternatives to direct Steam purchases, so your best bet will be the $25 purchase on Steam.
Sorry.

There's nothing we can do to convince you of not obtaining RPG Maker XP illegally but it'll likely severely limit the support you'll get if you ever run into any issues.

Well I dont think if I will be buying it for even $25, but rather sit back and enjoy games instead of making one :)

Still i have the Gba roms to hack if I like :)

Years
RPG Maker versions are often featured in steam sales. XP usually gets knocked down to $5. So your best legal bet is to wait for it to come around again (probably Winter sales, Spring at worst)

Years
Only option is to wait for a sale, and AFAIK it goes on a sale fairly often. It was actually on sale for 24 hours left when you made the thread.

*cough* un-install it and reinstall it.

That doesn't work anymore sadly. You also used to be able to just request new 30 day trial codes but they stopped using that a few years ago too.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Iowa
  • Seen Sep 30, 2021
well while everyone is set on calling XP #1 for RPGs, i have to say while i have nothing AGAINST XP, it's outdated in terms of ease of access, i would suggest RPG Maker MV as the tools to make games have never been more accessible, ppl who try MV come to love it!

and when i make my Pokemon Fangame: Pokemon World, i will be sure to share resources to help with MV Pokemon Fangames. :)

oh and i may add there is a scripter named Yanfly who is doing all kinds of things to make RPGs more in depth for those who lack scripting skills, so there's that.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
well while everyone is set on calling XP #1 for RPGs, i have to say while i have nothing AGAINST XP, it's outdated in terms of ease of access, i would suggest RPG Maker MV as the tools to make games have never been more accessible, ppl who try MV come to love it!

and when i make my Pokemon Fangame: Pokemon World, i will be sure to share resources to help with MV Pokemon Fangames. :)

oh and i may add there is a scripter named Yanfly who is doing all kinds of things to make RPGs more in depth for those who lack scripting skills, so there's that.

If you want to make a real good-looking game and you're pretty good with scripting, try Unity. It's 3D and you can design everything in terms of scripts to your own liking. It's a lot harder, though. Also, it doesn't use Ruby as programming language but rather C#.

Back