• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Yeah, you probably knew this, but just for clarification: Magic Guard is the Hidden Ability for it, so if you were catching regular wild Abra, they wouldn't have it. Only Abra caught from the Friend Safari have a chance of having it (You can use the Trace ability to tell).

Yeah I was in the Safari :)

Any tips for how to catch a Zangoose? The Sevipers kill it before I can kill them and catch it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

Any tips for how to catch a Zangoose? The Sevipers kill it before I can kill them and catch it!

I'm sure there's tons of other strategies, but synchronoise on a poison type pokemon (so it only hits the poison type Sevipers) or skill swap Telepathy onto the Zangoose. Easiest way since I assume you are playing X (because Zangoose only appears in hordes in X but appears in single battles in Y) you could catch the Seviper instead and then trade it on the GTS for a Zangoose.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I'm sure there's tons of other strategies, but synchronoise on a poison type pokemon (so it only hits the poison type Sevipers) or skill swap Telepathy onto the Zangoose. Easiest way since I assume you are playing X (because Zangoose only appears in hordes in X but appears in single battles in Y) you could catch the Seviper instead and then trade it on the GTS for a Zangoose.

Actually I'm playing Y. According to Serebii, Zangoose only appears in hordes on route 8. Where does he appear in single battle?

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Aaannnddd the Sevipers tend to knock the Zangoose out before you get the chance of capturing the it. >.>

Yeah, that's the problem :(

I've been reading about the breeding process in which you breed several generations until the number of perfect IVs increases, but I'm confused about one thing. How can you ever control your chances of getting all 6 perfect IVs if the Destiny Knot only allows 5 to pass down? Won't the 6th IV always be random and therefore have only a 1 in 32 chance of being perfect? Or am I missing a concept somewhere along the way?

Thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

I did it by using Earthquake :) The only tricky part is finding a Pokemon that is powerful enough to knock out the Sevipers in one hit, but not the Zangoose. I found catching a wild Croagunk and teaching it Earthquake works (you might need to level it up a couple of times).

I've been reading about the breeding process in which you breed several generations until the number of perfect IVs increases, but I'm confused about one thing. How can you ever control your chances of getting all 6 perfect IVs if the Destiny Knot only allows 5 to pass down? Won't the 6th IV always be random and therefore have only a 1 in 32 chance of being perfect? Or am I missing a concept somewhere along the way?

Thanks.

Yep, the 6th IV is always random. A lot of people count 5IV Pokemon as perfect though, because most of the time the Pokemon will either be using physical or special moves, not both, and so you don't need both perfect Attack and Special Attack.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Question about the Destiny Knot.
    It will pass down a random 5 IV from the parent holding the knot, right?
    What if both parents are holding Destiny Knots (since for some reason, I have two in X).

And for those wondering about me and the National Dex.
    I forgot to evolve Munna. -,-
    Going to hunt a Moon Stone at Terminus Cave later~

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Question about the Destiny Knot.
    It will pass down a random 5 IV from the parent holding the knot, right?
    What if both parents are holding Destiny Knots (since for some reason, I have two in X).

No, not just the parent holding the knot. It will pass down a random 5 from the 12 of the parents. So you could get all 5 from one parent, or you could get 2 from one and 3 from the other, and so on. Both parents holding Destiny Knots has the same effect as just one holding one.

And for those wondering about me and the National Dex.
    I forgot to evolve Munna. -,-
    Going to hunt a Moon Stone at Terminus Cave later~

Hehe, all that fuss over a Musharna.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Please let us know if you get the Shiny charm!

I have a question about imposter Ditto. If I send him out against a disguised Zoroark, foes he turn into Zoroark or the Pokemon its disguised as?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I have a question about imposter Ditto. If I send him out against a disguised Zoroark, foes he turn into Zoroark or the Pokemon its disguised as?

Neither, Imposter fails to activate against a disguised Zoroark.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • So was it confirmed that the thing about Vivillon's wings was literally just "oh, different Vivillons have different colour wings depenging on the region they're from"? I'd always thought there was some secret to layering them on top of each other and those square dot designs would have a picture or something.... That's just out of curiosity.

In game, I can't decide what Pokemon to have on my team.

Currently I have a Chestnaught, Gengar, Sylveon, Talonflame, Aurorus and Blastoise.
    I'm not happy with Blastoise on my team, it doesn't get used. I don't know should I switch it out for something else, because I want Electric and Fire coverage? The only thing is whatever I replace it with needs to be able to learn Surf, that's my only requirement. I'm not overly interested in a perfect Pokemon, so ridiculously high stats aren't necessary. I just don't know what to replace Blastoise with.

I was thinking Whiscash or Slowbro maybe?

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    This si the first pokemon I've seen that does this, but Ferrothorn has the hidden Ability Anticipation, however it's pre evolution Ferroseed has NO hidden ability at all: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/597.shtml so how can you possibly tell if, when breeding, the baby has a hidden ability? Do you just breed, hope for the best and then all the way at level 40 you THEN find out whether it got the hidden ability or not?

And before the discussion about whether or not Iron Barbs or Anticipation is a better ability, that's not the point. The point what do you do in this situation because there's bound to be other pokemon in this same situation where their evolved forms have a hidden ability but their pre evolved forms don't (I don't think Ferroseed/Ferrothorn would be the only one) so what does on do when this situation presents itself?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    This si the first pokemon I've seen that does this, but Ferrothorn has the hidden Ability Anticipation, however it's pre evolution Ferroseed has NO hidden ability at all: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/597.shtml so how can you possibly tell if, when breeding, the baby has a hidden ability? Do you just breed, hope for the best and then all the way at level 40 you THEN find out whether it got the hidden ability or not?

And before the discussion about whether or not Iron Barbs or Anticipation is a better ability, that's not the point. The point what do you do in this situation because there's bound to be other pokemon in this same situation where their evolved forms have a hidden ability but their pre evolved forms don't (I don't think Ferroseed/Ferrothorn would be the only one) so what does on do when this situation presents itself?

Well, as long as you breed a Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs, you're guaranteed to get a Ferroseed that evolves into an Iron Barbs Ferrothorn. But if you actually WANT Anticipation, then you could Rare Candy it until it evolves to check.

Years
  • Luck Incense Hidden Abilities

Maybe this is already known and I'm the only one unaware of it XD...
    I noticed that if I go to the Friend Safari with Luck Incense on my first pokémon, the chances of finding a wild pokémon with a hidden ability are higher. Anyone noticed the same?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Yeah, that's the problem :(

Thanks.

If you are just blindly placing parents with one or two perfect stats in you are going to be hatching eggs for a long time. There is a trick to finding out which parents will pass down which stats, which is detailed in this guide over on the trade corner:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=312140

That process will sound tedius at first, and it will be the first one or two times you try it, but it DOES work. I took a Porygon I got off the GTS with NO perfect IV's and bred with several dittos until I had a Porygon with five perfect IV's in about a dozen or so eggs. And truthfully, anything you are breeding without a gender or that is male only is going to be a little more tedius than something

What I recommend is that you first gather a generious collection of Friend Safari Pokemon you want to breed. (For my first breeding project I chose Pan-Cham, because I knew a few near perfect males would be great for passing down IV's to two different egg groups). I started with catching about a dozen of the little guys, and bringing them to the stat checker for which IVs were perfect.

Then, put two test parents in the day care (say put in one that has both attack/deffence perfect and the other has both specials as perfect.... but make sure a total of four stats are represented). When you check the egg that came out take note if any of the stats were perfect, as that means that either 1) That was passed down from one of the parents, or 2) it may be a random perfect. However we are going to assume it was #1 here. Now, you soft reset, and change your parents around in the day care to closest match the information you just recieved. Once you have swapped your parents out for new ones, you should be able to get an egg on the first try with three perfects this way, and with a tiny bit of luck you could get four. Save, put a different pair of test parents in(your new 3 perfect you just hatched will most likely be a test parent now), and repeat the process....

You will likely need two or three Pokemon with 3 perfect stats before you manage to hatch one with four(unless you get lucky). Once you have at least one with four, and a few with three you should be able to start hatching one with five nearly every egg.(that is IF you are following the guide I provided a link to).

If you are breeding and just hoping for chance, just as an FYI, it IS possible for two parents with five perfect stats to create a baby with only three(If both parents are missing a different stat). However, if BOTH parents have the same stat missing (say both are missing speed for their perfect stat), you will mostly breed eggs with only four stats(5 out of 6 eggs), and roughly have a one out of 186 chance that you will hatch a flawless egg.

Careful use of test parents and double checking stats you can have a flawless ABOUT one out of every 30 eggs you hatch. I have so far bred two flawless, a Pancham, and a Chimchar. Just aim for five perfect every time, and the once in a while getting an extra will just be nice.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
  • Haha I didn't know that! I'm actually going to go try it :) thanks for the info, I've been trying to get a dragon with hidden ability for the longest time xD

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Sweet, my mission is to now CATCH EVERYTHING!!!!!

But do you need Dialga, Mew and stuff? If so I am never going to get one...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back