• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] What options are there for making games?

CharizardY

Master of Fire
Years
  • I've been pondering the idea of becoming a game developer for almost over 5 years now. As much as i'd like to re-enroll back into Full Sail University for game development the timing right now isn't working out with my wallet. I'm interested in learning how to create my own games. Game like Pokemon and Zelda are my focus point as for the look.

I have a graphic/web design background and education. My real question is what resources are out there and what's thee best paid/free software out!

Thanks all.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • Well, this forum is focused mostly on Pokémon fan-games, especially those developed using development software RPG Maker XP.
    It's an easy to use program with great potential to make what you want, if you put in enough time to learn it's associated scripting language Ruby.

There is also newer version of RPG Maker, called "VX" and "VX Ace", but they lack the ability to use Pokémon Essentials, which is basically and SDK for "RPG Maker XP" which is specialized for making Pokémon Games.
    Since you mentioned Zelda, I might as well add that there are "Starter Kits/SDKs" for that as well, but not here.

There are also the options of making your own engine in your own desired programming language, or using other Game Making Programs like "Game Maker", etc.

If you want to actually get into the game-developing industry, I'd say use RPG Maker to learn the basics of how to make a game, logic- and design-wise, and then try to move on into making your own engine and game, by programming.

If you want to do it just as a hobby, use RPG Maker or Game Maker fulltime. They are great tools which are available at a low price.

Good Luck in your endeavors, mate!

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
  • Well, this forum is focused mostly on Pokémon fan-games, especially those developed using development software RPG Maker XP.
    It's an easy to use program with great potential to make what you want, if you put in enough time to learn it's associated scripting language Ruby.

There is also newer version of RPG Maker, called "VX" and "VX Ace", but they lack the ability to use Pokémon Essentials, which is basically and SDK for "RPG Maker XP" which is specialized for making Pokémon Games.
    Since you mentioned Zelda, I might as well add that there are "Starter Kits/SDKs" for that as well, but not here.

There are also the options of making your own engine in your own desired programming language, or using other Game Making Programs like "Game Maker", etc.

If you want to actually get into the game-developing industry, I'd say use RPG Maker to learn the basics of how to make a game, logic- and design-wise, and then try to move on into making your own engine and game, by programming.

If you want to do it just as a hobby, use RPG Maker or Game Maker fulltime. They are great tools which are available at a low price.

Thanks for your help! I will look into all this for sure.

Years

I'm thinking of using RPG Maker to make my game. Why does VX ACE not work well for Pokemon essentials, and is pokemon essentials necessary when using RPG Maker? How much harder will it be to make the game from scratch?

My thing is, I want to expand the storyline and make a longer game with added scenes world etc... I think a lot of the programs on this site, like editors will only limit me. I need to completely change the game up and move things around.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I'm thinking of using RPG Maker to make my game. Why does VX ACE not work well for Pokemon essentials, and is pokemon essentials necessary when using RPG Maker? How much harder will it be to make the game from scratch?

My thing is, I want to expand the storyline and make a longer game with added scenes world etc... I think a lot of the programs on this site, like editors will only limit me. I need to completely change the game up and move things around.

Even with Pokemon Essentials available, the number of completed games is pretty low. Not using Essentials is going to more often than not, solidify the fact that your game will never see completion.

Sure, you could say you are committed and all... but you are the only person who actually believes that, just like everyone before you. (*note that I am not necessarily talking about you when I say 'you'. Just people in general who think they can make a game without Essentials)

Pokemon Essentials, has no story line, it has no set maps you have to use. You can expand what you want with it, it merely integrates the essential functions that comprise a Pokemon like game.

Essentials does not work with Ace because it was programmed with the XP libraries, or at least that is my assumption. VX Ace is a separate program, and even though it uses Ruby that does not mean it has the same integral structure as XP.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I'm thinking of using RPG Maker to make my game. Why does VX ACE not work well for Pokemon essentials, and is pokemon essentials necessary when using RPG Maker? How much harder will it be to make the game from scratch?

Essentials qas designed for rmxp, I don't know much about vx so I can't help you there

Anyways, you'll find that a lot of dirty work has been in Essentials, like the battle system, the pc, pokedex, etc. This basically allows you to put in morw time and effort into the design part of the game, like the maps and story.
    Trust me, if you aren't an adept programmer or really familiar with one of the other tools, your best bet for making a pokemon fan game is RMXP with the essentials kit.

Years
  • Even with Pokemon Essentials available, the number of completed games is pretty low. Not using Essentials is going to more often than not, solidify the fact that your game will never see completion.

Sure, you could say you are committed and all... but you are the only person who actually believes that, just like everyone before you. (*note that I am not necessarily talking about you when I say 'you'. Just people in general who think they can make a game without Essentials)

Pokemon Essentials, has no story line, it has no set maps you have to use. You can expand what you want with it, it merely integrates the essential functions that comprise a Pokemon like game.

Essentials does not work with Ace because it was programmed with the XP libraries, or at least that is my assumption. VX Ace is a separate program, and even though it uses Ruby that does not mean it has the same integral structure as XP.

I understand what you mean. This is going to be a huge project and I already know it will probably take a year or more for me to finish it, since I do have a day job and not a college kid anymore :) Which equates to limited study time/programming time. I hope I will get far in it and hopefully one day finish it but it looks like I'll have to invest in RPG Maker XP. Even though I don't like buying older software. That's why I have Ace on my computer now...

Essentials qas designed for rmxp, I don't know much about vx so I can't help you there

Anyways, you'll find that a lot of dirty work has been in Essentials, like the battle system, the pc, pokedex, etc. This basically allows you to put in morw time and effort into the design part of the game, like the maps and story.
    Trust me, if you aren't an adept programmer or really familiar with one of the other tools, your best bet for making a pokemon fan game is RMXP with the essentials kit.

I see I may have to invest in it after all. Thanks for the advice.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I understand what you mean. This is going to be a huge project and I already know it will probably take a year or more for me to finish it, since I do have a day job and not a college kid anymore :) Which equates to limited study time/programming time. I hope I will get far in it and hopefully one day finish it but it looks like I'll have to invest in RPG Maker XP. Even though I don't like buying older software. That's why I have Ace on my computer now...

I see I may have to invest in it after all. Thanks for the advice.

To put things into perspective, games like Pillars of Destiny and Phoenix Rising are ones that have been under way for years now and some of the few with any active members behind them, and they use Essentials. Something to think about when you are thinking about doing the system from scratch.

As for RMXP simple investigation into Google can give you alternatives...

A new kit for a new program has been discussed before, but I think some members have pretty much stifled that discussion and smothered any fire burning for those wishing to make a new one. But the need to purchase RPG Maker XP has been considered as well as some of the other things that RMXP limits users too. I think a new kit would be great for this community, it gives other people options and gives a starter kit a chance to be written in a more organized manner so that people can actually understand it. I am not always about reinventing the wheel, but when the wheel is old and the level of craftsmanship that when into it is pretty low, I say just replace the damn wheel. I am not saying I am ungrateful for Essentials, but I am saying there is a lot that the original creators could have done better, and we are fortunate that Maruno has put in time to actually spruce up a good chunk of it and keep updating it.

Back