• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon Snap 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years

• Gameplay
    It will run almost identically to the original N64 game Pokémon Snap; it'll be a rail-shooter with a camera instead of a gun and Pokémon instead of bad guys!

I'd like to include a lot of Pokémon (probably not them all, because >700 is a little to much I think), which will be based on the level designs as they come along. There will be a few upgrades as you progress through the game. From a flash so you can take better photos in dark places, to food so you can bait Pokémon closer to you.

Engine
    The engine is being coded in Unity 3D. I'll be personally coding everything from scratch, from the camera functionality to the behaviour of each individual Pokémon. It's a big task and will take a long time.

Screenshots

Demo
    There is a playable web-player demo here. It's about 15mb in size, so don't stream it on your phone.
    You will need to have the Unity web-player installed.

This demo is currently just a proof-of-concept. It's to show that it works.

The full version will be an installer-based game for Windows/Linux/Mac, with a full level available in a web-demo.

Credits
    Massive thanks to Random Talking Bush from The VG Resource for ripping the models from X/Y. This wouldn't be possible with his work.
    Thanks to Nintendo/Gamefreak for creating the models (and rigging them so nicely) to begin with.
    And thanks to HAL for making the original game. It's just fantastic.

Notes
    Please feel free to make suggestions or comments. I'll be more than happy to get your input.
    I am a programmer, not an artist: Constructive criticism on graphical elements is great appreciated.

It's still in a very early beta. This version is no indication as to what the final product will be.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • This looks awesome, it would love a Pokemon Snap 2 with a lot of new Pokemon. You should have themed areas such as a level for Zekrom/Reshiram, or a level for Kyogre/Groudon.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Apart from new Pokémon, and New Maps.

It would be nice to add some other forms of new content, or it's simply just like playing an edited version of the original Snap.

Florio

Years
  • Apart from new Pokémon, and New Maps.

It would be nice to add some other forms of new content, or it's simply just like playing an edited version of the original Snap.

Yeah. Maybe there could be a PVP system. Both players take snaps of the same map at the same time, and they get a score. Whoever has the highest score wins. That is one idea.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Yeah. Maybe there could be a PVP system. Both players take snaps of the same map at the same time, and they get a score. Whoever has the highest score wins. That is one idea.

Oddly enough, I don't see a game like Pokémon Snap, a PvP/Co-Op sort of game.
    It seems better if it's single player, less complex, and less competitive.

Florio

Years
  • Oddly enough, I don't see a game like Pokémon Snap, a PvP/Co-Op sort of game.
    It seems better if it's single player, less complex, and less competitive.

I know, but it would still be a cool feature to have. It is always nice to spice things up once in a while.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • This looks awesome, it would love a Pokemon Snap 2 with a lot of new Pokemon. You should have themed areas such as a level for Zekrom/Reshiram, or a level for Kyogre/Groudon.
    I was thinking of having special levels for the (non-trio) legendaries like Groudon, Kyogre, Darkrai, etc, like in the original game for Mew. Like after you get a certain amount of points in a level, a sub-level of sorts opens up.
    Apart from new Pokémon, and New Maps.

Yeah, well if you have any ideas, feel free to suggest them. I want to stay fairly true to the original, but I think new ways of interactive with the Pokemon would be cool.
    I'm not sure of a 1v1 kind of system, but it would be cool to have a high score system or something, where people can upload their photos and the highest scores get shown, or something.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Given that this thread has been dead for over half a year, assume it's abandoned and don't post in it. There's a rule about that, if you want to look them up before posting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back