• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolving Magikarp

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2016
    Hi,
    I have two magikarps: one with 136CP with 88% IVs and one with 149CP with 77% IVs. Which one should should I evolve?
    Any suggestion would be great :)

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I would go with the high IV one. It'll evolve into a lower CP Gyarados, but when you power it up it'll end up with higher maximum stats so it'll be worth it. But you have to consider with the higher IV Magikarp, it'll take a lot of stardust to make up the lower CP it'll start at as a Gyarados so think about if that stardust investment is worth it for you.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Between those two, this doesn't even require a second thought. Evolve the higher IV one. They're so close in CP already anyway. Gyarados will always be ~10x the CP value of the Magikarp you evolved. You're not missing out on anything.

If it were me, I'd throw both of those out and wait for another similar IV one with higher starting CP. You're not getting a Gyarados beyond the ~CP1400-1500 range with either of those Magikarp, which means you're going to have to invest Stardust and even more candies.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • they're pretty close in cp. i would just evolve the higher IV one. jealous you have all that candy to evolve a magikarp!

Years
  • 136cp is kind of low, when 400 hard to pile up candies are at stake.
    I would wait for a 160cp or higher with at least 90ivs... there's tons of karp out there it's not jard..
    Lowest karp I evolved was 163, highest 192
    Here are my Gyarados: (1600 candies later, yikes)

Attachments

• Evolving Magikarp
      Screenshot_2016-09-27-20-50-55.png
      86.6 KB · Views: 5
    • Evolving Magikarp
      Screenshot_2016-09-27-20-50-59.png
      88.4 KB · Views: 3
    • Evolving Magikarp
      Screenshot_2016-09-27-20-51-02.png
      82.2 KB · Views: 2
    • Evolving Magikarp
      Screenshot_2016-09-27-20-51-05.png
      82.2 KB · Views: 2

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • 136cp is kind of low, when 400 hard to pile up candies are at stake.
    I would wait for a 160cp or higher with at least 90ivs... there's tons of karp out there it's not jard..
    Lowest karp I evolved was 163, highest 192
    Here are my Gyarados: (1600 candies later, yikes)

how does one acquire all of this candy?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • how does one acquire all of this candy?
    Depends on location. Some places Magikarp spawn so much you can't keep up with them. I've personally caught over 600 Magikarp according to my PokéDex. Working on a seventh Gyarados.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • Depends on location. Some places Magikarp spawn so much you can't keep up with them. I've personally caught over 600 Magikarp according to my PokéDex. Working on a seventh Gyarados.

i have yet to achieve one gyarados. i have like 105 magikarp candy.

Years
  • There's a canal here I take my daughter on walks at... probably catch 30 karp after, plus the pond outside my office at work. I now won't catch karp unless it's high cp.. lol you just got to go somewhere there's water?

Back