• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Should there be a GBC remake of Gen 1?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Now i know this sounds really odd...but i really want to see A Generation 2-style version of Pokemon RBGY. i saw the original red/blue/yellow, it made me wish it was just like the G/S/C version where it took full advantage of the color aspects.

So recently, i thought: whats stopping fans from making it and looking completely legit? G/S/C basically has Kanto region and most of the sprites. Sure some of the events are blocked off, but nothing a good programmer/hacker can work with.

The only thing that might be an issue is Giovanni sprite, but if you compare Pokemon Yellow with G/S/C sprites, their somewhat similar enough to tell that the Pokemon Yellow Sprites were taken from there. So some slight modification and it can be done well.

As for romhack names, it could probably be named Pokemon crimson red / forest green / navy blue /

Now i'm not saying that it "should" be done in the sense that it would be the greatest RBY experience (for me it might be just because its technically a remake and not too far off from the original to add any weird changes), but more in the sense of should it be done for curiosity sake? I think it might be a nice idea...(and no i'm not even asking this as a probable hack, but as a fun idea to ponder on).

And if i'm really picky, i would like them to have the animated sprites from Crystal version too. but this is just a nice idea i thought. what are your thoughts on it? i bet some would think its pointless...

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Now i know this sounds really odd...but i really want to see A Generation 2-style version of Pokemon RBGY. i saw the original red/blue/yellow, it made me wish it was just like the G/S/C version where it took full advantage of the color aspects.

So recently, i thought: whats stopping fans from making it and looking completely legit? G/S/C basically has Kanto region and most of the sprites. Sure some of the events are blocked off, but nothing a good programmer/hacker can work with.

The only thing that might be an issue is Giovanni sprite, but if you compare Pokemon Yellow with G/S/C sprites, their somewhat similar enough to tell that the Pokemon Yellow Sprites were taken from there. So some slight modification and it can be done well.

As for romhack names, it could probably be named Pokemon crimson red / forest green / navy blue /

Now i'm not saying that it "should" be done in the sense that it would be the greatest RBY experience (for me it might be just because its technically a remake and not too far off from the original to add any weird changes), but more in the sense of should it be done for curiosity sake? I think it might be a nice idea...(and no i'm not even asking this as a probable hack, but as a fun idea to ponder on).

And if i'm really picky, i would like them to have the animated sprites from Crystal version too. but this is just a nice idea i thought. what are your thoughts on it? i bet some would think its pointless...

I see no point of a RBY GSC Remake.
    The games use the same engine, just slightly updated, (Very slightly).

GSC included Kanto region which can count as a good enough "remake" no?

Besides, it's been 14 years since Generation 2 was released, and no system supports it now, so, it would be pointless re-making something on the hardware.
    Unless you're on about ROM Hacks

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i was referring to the Rom hacks but....the point wasn't to do it other than seeing a new experience. and i disagree competely RBY feels like n entirely different world from GSC...and as muh as i'd like it to be a remake, GSC didn't have everything the original offered.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I dont like retcons. The idea of the remake was to be exactly like the original

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It would be pretty cool to see how Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green are like in generation two graphics and mechanics, yeah.

However, if this actually were to happen back in the day, there isn't much chance of it actually succeeding, I believe. Although some would indeed buy to try and whatnot, those who have already played generation one games, which I imagine would be majority, likely would not be interested, unfortunately. If it weren't for that, it definitely would have worked.

If it's to be fan-made (non-profit), though, then we might be able to disregard most of those issues; they probably wouldn't apply.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I think it would be cool but in this general of 3ds gaming, metal and color generation game remakes won't be much popular but I would personally like if it happens

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Well, the Gen 1 games were already GBC games (well, at least, Yellow was), to be technical, but, yeah, I get what you mean. I'd love to be able to play through Gen 1 with things like day/night, Dark/Steel, berries, Gen 2 Pokémon, and so on. That would be a great idea for a ROM hack, like maybe, a demake of FRLG onto a Gen 2 base (but with day/night, berries, and Gen 2 Pokémon).

As for an official remake, though, it needs to be 3DS quality. Now that ORAS is out, Gen 1 is the only Gen that can't be played on a 3DS, so it's only fair that it gets its shot at a quality, modern game. (Gen 4 can still be played on a 3DS, so it can wait.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2015
    The generation 1 games weren't GBC by a longshot.

-All Yellow does is load the Super Game Boy palettes on a GBC, and this wasn't even in the original Japanese version.
    -The GBC itself uses more powerful hardware than the GB and the SGB, and G/S/C actually take advantage of it (Crystal moreso). If you've ever played G/S on a GB or SGB, you'd know. By the way, this is why G/S/C behaves strangely in Pokemon Stadium 2's Game Boy Tower compared to R/B/Y; the GBC is slightly harder to emulate (especially by a piece of tech like an N64), similar to N64 games that use the Expansion Pak.

What generation 1 (and 2) actually needs is either an NES or an N64 remake (use Colosseum as a basis) that is actually based on generation 1 and 2 (so not like FR/LG, HG/SS, OR/AS, etc). I'm not sure if there's anyone really capable of pulling either off, but those are the only real options.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • No...not really. I don't think there would be much appeal for such games -- even if they were in the original style. Kanto and Johto (moreso the former) have been overplayed as hell: RBY --> GSC --> FRLG --> HGSS. No thanks. I'd rather they remake Sinnoh with the updated graphics!

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    that's basically the benefit as well....and personally i would like the limited but well-designed sprites of GSC.

FRLG's remake felt too artificial. sure it was redesigned to more updated graphics but leaves little to the imagination

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    that's basically the benefit as well....and personally i would like the limited but well-designed sprites of GSC.

GSC, in many ways, had superior sprites to the GBA games, especially when you compare Crystal's animations to Emerald's. Even though the Gen 3 sprites had more colors, many of those colors were ugly/inaccurate and a lot of the Pokémon were badly proportioned (especially the Gen 1-2 Pokémon). The 16-bit sprites didn't start getting good until Gen 4, IMO.

And, of course, must I mention how almost all of the Gen 1-2 backsprites in the Gen 3 games are straight revamps from GSC? Laaaaazy! :rolleyes2:

FRLG's remake felt too artificial. sure it was redesigned to more updated graphics but leaves little to the imagination

That's because the games were slapped together at the last minute for the sole purpose of filling Ruby and Sapphire's National Pokédex. (So, they wouldn't have been made at all if Ruby and Sapphire had backwards compatibility with RBY/GSC... Oh, don't I wish! :rolleyes2:) They weren't made with the same level of love and care as HGSS and ORAS would be.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • GSC, in many ways, had superior sprites to the GBA games, especially when you compare Crystal's animations to Emerald's. Even though the Gen 3 sprites had more colors, many of those colors were ugly/inaccurate and a lot of the Pokémon were badly proportioned (especially the Gen 1-2 Pokémon). The 16-bit sprites didn't start getting good until Gen 4, IMO.

And, of course, must I mention how almost all of the Gen 1-2 backsprites in the Gen 3 games are straight revamps from GSC? Laaaaazy! :rolleyes2:

I'm not too fond of the RSE sprites but some of the Johto Pokémon in Gold and Silver had terrible sprites IMO, with Red and Blue level of "bad". Houndoom, Skarmory and Tyranitar looked nothing like their official art. Most of the Pokémon with bad sprites in GS got better sprites in Crystal, though.

The Kanto Pokémon have much better sprites in FRLG than they do in RSE, btw.

That's because the games were slapped together at the last minute for the sole purpose of filling Ruby and Sapphire's National Pokédex. (So, they wouldn't have been made at all if Ruby and Sapphire had backwards compatibility with RBY/GSC... Oh, don't I wish! :rolleyes2:) They weren't made with the same level of love and care as HGSS and ORAS would be.

I disagree with FRLG being rushed. There was a full year between RS and FRLG, same as between Platinum and HGSS. Whenever a new console is released, the studios receive the SDK some time in advance and it's a bit naive to think GF couldn't have known it wasn't possible to trade between GB and GBA games. I'm fairly sure they developed RS already with the thought they would release FRLG later on to fill the gaps in the Pokédex and it's likely both sets of games were being concomitantly developed at some point, RS in a more advanced state than FRLG obviously. I don't see the announcement of FRLG as a last minute decision.

Even a bug fest such as Assassin's Creed Unity wasn't "rushed", having began development in 2010, so I definitely don't think FRLG were rushed at all. The lack of new features and adhesion to the GB games was probably a conscious decision of the development team, one which, looking in hindsight, was unfortunate, but back then we didn't know any better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    My problem with FRLG is that it felt "OK". they couldn't have added any berries or anything? what about day/night feature?

Crystal shares most of the sprites from Silver and Gold. the few that don't are hit or miss. (I'm look at you Quilava). Regardless what i love about GSC is the way the sprites were designed...all sprites are a combination of black, white, and two different colors. The use of negative (white) really made them more dynamic. each one was a work of art.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • My problem with FRLG is that it felt "OK". they couldn't have added any berries or anything? what about day/night feature?

They canonized the "loamy soil" thing in which Berries grow and made it only available in Hoenn and Sinnoh, which was an annoyance for people who had FRLG and HGSS and wanted Berries. Notice how all of the Berry trees in HGSS were replaced with Apricorn trees. However, they had the great idea of creating the Pokéathlon to make us use those Apricorns. And, even in GSC, Kanto had very few Berry trees, which, in the games canon, probably means the soil in Kanto isn't appropriate for Berries.

Crystal shares most of the sprites from Silver and Gold. the few that don't are hit or miss. (I'm look at you Quilava). Regardless what i love about GSC is the way the sprites were designed...all sprites are a combination of black, white, and two different colors. The use of negative (white) really made them more dynamic. each one was a work of art.

I prefer all of the Crystal-exclusive sprites because they're much closer to the official art.

Looking back, I really think Crystal was a fantastic game and definitely earned its place as the pinnacle of the 8-bit series. It had a few drawbacks (no Mareep, for example), but fixed most of my complaints with GS. Of course, I wish the evolution stones were much easier and less random to obtain, but the solution gave us some reason to use the PokéGear. Another thing I wish GSC had was more Move Tutors which had the forgotten TMs from RBY. The TM list in GSC was much inferior to RBY unfortunately. Breeding sorta remedied this somewhat.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Not me....i could careless about the official art, GOld/Silver's Quilava has a fierce and amazing look. Crystal Quilava doesn't.

Gold:
    Spr_2g_156.png

Silver:
    Spr_2s_156.png

Crystal:
    Spr_2c_156.gif

I LOVE Crystal....but no matter what, i can never get over the look of Quilava.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Most of the Pokémon with bad sprites in GS got better sprites in Crystal, though.

Crystal was more what I was thinking of.

The Kanto Pokémon have much better sprites in FRLG than they do in RSE, btw.

Most of which are still pretty blah compared to even their Crystal sprites, let alone ones from the DS games. The GBA games, in general, looked ugly, IMO.

I disagree with FRLG being rushed. There was a full year between RS and FRLG, same as between Platinum and HGSS. Whenever a new console is released, the studios receive the SDK some time in advance and it's a bit naive to think GF couldn't have known it wasn't possible to trade between GB and GBA games. I'm fairly sure they developed RS already with the thought they would release FRLG later on to fill the gaps in the Pokédex and it's likely both sets of games were being concomitantly developed at some point, RS in a more advanced state than FRLG obviously. I don't see the announcement of FRLG as a last minute decision.

It's more than just development time, though. Unlike HGSS and ORAS, FRLG were made less than a decade and only one handheld after (yes, Nintendo officially considers the GBC to just be an upgraded GB, akin to the DSi or New 3DS, instead of a separate handheld like the GBA)their original counterparts, especially if you look at them from the perspective of the international Gen 1 games (as most of us would). Less than 6 years separate them from Red and Blue, and less than 5 (Not even a full half-decade!) separate them from Yellow. The games weren't even old enough to be nostalgic, let alone remade! Think about how people would've felt if they had released Diamond and Pearl remakes last year; that's exactly what FRLG were akin to.

And, the games DO show evidence of being rushed out. Look at the staggering list of unused maps and sprites in the games' data; that's all lost potential, right there. Why would they have cut all of these things if they were not trying to get the games out in a hurry?

They really should've waited until, at least, Gen 4 to make these games. While it's unfortunate that Ruby and Sapphire had to kill compatibility with the earlier games, rushed, crappy Gen 1 remakes weren't the answer. Why couldn't they have just stuffed the Sevii Islands into the Hoenn games and put the missing Pokémon there? Or, even sent us on a plane/boat trip to Johto after beating the game? If the GB/C carts had room for two regions, then the GBA carts sure as hell did!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Crystal was more what I was thinking of.

And you're right. The Crystal sprites are pretty damn good. (though Tyranitar could've been improved IMO)

Most of which are still pretty blah compared to even their Crystal sprites, let alone ones from the DS games. The GBA games, in general, looked ugly, IMO.

I did some looking around and it seems the lack of graphic improvements was criticized even back then. FRLG had some neat stuff like the Pokémon Centers but some of the tiles were barely changed at all compared to Crystal.

Some Pokémon had pretty bad colors, like Gyarados, but some of the stances were better than Crystal IMO (again, Gyarados).

It's more than just development time, though. Unlike HGSS and ORAS, FRLG were made less than a decade and only one handheld after (yes, Nintendo officially considers the GBC to just be an upgraded GB, akin to the DSi or New 3DS, instead of a separate handheld like the GBA)their original counterparts, especially if you look at them from the perspective of the international Gen 1 games (as most of us would). Less than 6 years separate them from Red and Blue, and less than 5 (Not even a full half-decade!) separate them from Yellow. The games weren't even old enough to be nostalgic, let alone remade! Think about how people would've felt if they had released Diamond and Pearl remakes last year; that's exactly what FRLG were akin to.

And, the games DO show evidence of being rushed out. Look at the staggering list of unused maps and sprites in the games' data; that's all lost potential, right there. Why would they have cut all of these things if they were not trying to get the games out in a hurry?

They really should've waited until, at least, Gen 4 to make these games. While it's unfortunate that Ruby and Sapphire had to kill compatibility with the earlier games, rushed, crappy Gen 1 remakes weren't the answer. Why couldn't they have just stuffed the Sevii Islands into the Hoenn games and put the missing Pokémon there? Or, even sent us on a plane/boat trip to Johto after beating the game? If the GB/C carts had room for two regions, then the GBA carts sure as hell did!

I really don't think FRLG would've been interesting to remake on the DS unless they've made some significant changes to the game, like adding a device like the PokéGear or the PokéNav or the Pokétch to make use of the lower screen. The changes we discussed via PM would've been a good start, though. Although, most certainly a 1st gen remake would delay 2nd gen remakes... I doubt GF would want two sets of remakes in the same gen, especially since they wanted to promote Sinnoh and its new Pokémon, too.

Back