• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknaming

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What are our thoughts on nicknaming Pokémon? Do we find ourselves doing it often? Of all names that we have used, which one would we say we are most fond of?

As for myself, I believe it's a pretty nifty feature. Although I don't find myself utilizing it often, I still find it rather cute; in real life, we tend to name our pets and whatnot, and being able to do the same in these games do help in adding more realism and whatnot.

If I were to make an estimate, I would say I have nicknamed around twenty Pokémon in total throughout my lifetime, with the most recent being a Togepi in my second run of Y version. I've named this Pokémon "Eggepi." It might not be very creative (its a combination of its name the word "egg"), but I feel it was rather fitting!

Years
  • I love nicknaming Pokemon, it makes me feel closer to them and it's fun to theme the nicknames. I have used so many names it's difficult to say which was my favourite. I've had themes ranging from naming my Pokemon after World Wonders to naming them after Santa's Reindeer.

Years
  • I actually didn't start nicknaming Pokemon until the release of HG/SS and the first time I started a Nuzlocke run. Now I nickname all my Pokemon cuz it makes me feel closer to them even in normal playthroughs. :)

However, I usually don't nickname legendary Pokemon. Feels weird most of the time.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to nicknaming Pokemon, I actually enjoy giving them nicknames. Course the ones I most likely nickname are those that end up becoming my team members. As for favorite nicknames, I will list representatives of each of my eight teams that I have used different themes from each of my teams.
    The representatives of each of my teams:
    Delta (nickname of my Blastoise in Blue)(team: Star Wars Republic Commando Squads)
    Galvatron (nickname of my Feraligatr in Soul Silver)(team: Decepticons)
    Revan (nickname of my Swampert in Sapphire)(team: Star Wars Sith Lords)
    Napoleon (nickname of my Empoleon in Platinum)(team: World Leaders)
    Durendal (nickname of my Samurott in White)(team: Legendary Weapons)
    John Rambo (nickname of my Samurott in White 2)(team: Anti-Heroes)
    Enterprise (nickname of my Greninja in X)(team: World War II Ships)
    Yoda (nickname of my Torkoal in Alpha Sapphire)(team: Star Wars Jedi)

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I never used to nickname my Pokemon but now I have started
    I'm playing Pokemon crystal and have a chikorita named Megan (since the final form is meganium)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I nickname my Pokemon because then it would be like calling your pet dog "dog" instead of its name.

Years
  • For a while I didn't care for nicknaming my Pokémon, but White 2 was the first game where I nicknamed my entire Elite Four team. I did the same in X and Omega Ruby, and I always do in challenges too.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I love giving my Pokemon nicknames. It makes them stand out from all the rest. Only time I have a hard time making nicknames is when the Pokemon is female, this is why I prefer to have a full team of males so I can name them easier.

Years
  • I usually nickname my Pokemon in a second play through, never the first. Not sure why, but thats just how I have always done it. Like with ORAS. I didn't nickname my Pokemon in AS because it was my first play through of the new games. Now in my OR, I am nicknaming because its my second play through of the new games.

And probably because I suck at giving Pokemon good nicknames, haha. Great feature though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I just started giving them nicknames a couple years ago, however I tend to just give nicknames to Pokemon I actually use ingame or in Wifi battles. It just gives them a little bit more character, although with all the nicknames I already used I becomes more and more difficult to think up new ones, as I don't like giving duplicate names. ^^

Years
  • I really nicknaming my Pokemon, but I get really stressed picking one out. Like I want to a cool sounding one, but for Pokemon like Trubbish there's not really anywhere to go for that. Also I never nickname legendries. I don't want them to be soiled with my awful nicknames.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I never knew people actually used it until watching videos online. I never nickname my Pokemon, last time I did was back when gsc came out. After a while the names would annoy me and I would always change them back to their regular names.

lol one of my biggest annoyances is getting a Pokemon that I really wanted to use through the gts with a nickname. I then have to waste so much time breeding it because I just can't deal idk what it is.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I used to never nickname my pokemon. I just didn't care enough to bother. xD But once X/Y came, I started to do it. Now that ORAS is out, I name mine all the time. Usually after stones that matches the color of the pokemon. :3

Back