• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Battle system idea/ideas

Years
    • CO
    • Seen Mar 16, 2023
    Ok so I came across an interesting idea for a pokemon game made using rpg maker, but it was out-dated and in a whole other language. So I decided that I would take the challenge of trying such and interesting system for pokemon out with Rpg Maker XP. Before I get in to what I seem to be able to do already I will expalin what the whole idea is. 1. I would like to intergrate a Action Battle System in to the pokemon world, and even if possible make it so the player can choose if they would like to use the normal pokemon battle system or the ABS one. The idea is to have a Trainer and when a battle is declaied like in the normal games, have the trainers warp to the corisponding map to the one they are in where it will have a battle field like in the show and each trainer will toss out there pokemon( need to figure this part out as well with the red beam that comes out the pokeball) thats when the player takes over the corisponding Pokemon ego,moving,defending,attacking, and skills will all be under the players control. With dubble battles the player could switch between each pokemon, what ever one the player isne't controlling an Alley AI could take over. I have been able to make a map and use Blizz-ABS, and the overwold pokemon from HGSS along with the battlers graphics to make a very crude demo. I want the battle style to be kinda like what Legacy of Goku has.. I have been playing the pokemon games since they came out here, they taut me alot of things even school coulden't and I have always wanted to make the game just a lil more interesting, cause I think after so long the battle system kinda just got dull and needs a new make over. I want to hear all ideas and if any scripters get a look at this then let me know what I must do to make this all possilbe. If you need to see a video with the inovations im trying to acomplish then just look up Pokemon Marcos( a rpg maker 2003 game) there are two videos on youtube that go under pokemon abs .05 and 2.5... I have also realized how customizable the Blizz-ABS is and wounder if just making a good add on would just be the better way to go, or even use another ABS script that would be more customizable. well let me know what all of you think^_^

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
    Years
  • While I understand the idea, I think going for an active system is a step too far for a Pokémon game, not because it's not doable, but because the point of a Pokémon game is to be a trainer working together with Pokémon in adventures, not taking control of them. Not saying I don't like grid combat by the way, I'm still waiting for a new Final Fantasy Tactics.

Years
    • CO
    • Seen Mar 16, 2023
    While I understand the idea, I think going for an active system is a step too far for a Pokémon game, not because it's not doable, but because the point of a Pokémon game is to be a trainer working together with Pokémon in adventures, not taking control of them. Not saying I don't like grid combat by the way, I'm still waiting for a new Final Fantasy Tactics.

I was thinking about that as well and understand how it would affect the story, so what about just having all pokemon controlled by custom AI settings or something similar. But honestly, Even finding the battle system location in the script for pokemon essentials is not easy, at least for a noob like my self. if I could Delete the battle system in Pokemon essentials and then make a custom Active battle system for Pokemon all together. In doing this it will really only chage the battle system for the whole game nothing more, Which might make it a little more entertaining. I also woul like the trainer to have more say in what his/her pokemon may do. Not saying they need more than four moves just saying things like dodge, deffend, and counter. I really would like to find some others who have programming/scripting knowlage that could not do it for me but guide me to what I must do to get such an Idea on the move. I will not lie I really need some help here

Matsjo

How Does I Pokéballer
    Years
  • I'm afraid I can't help you with the technicals, I'm completely ignorant on those fronts. I'm from the creative, narrative and mechanics department.

Implementing things like Dodge and Defend could work, but the challenge will be avoiding making it too slow and cumbersome. Pokémon is a fast-paced game (sort of). It is definitely doable, but you're probably not going to find a lot of experienced coders in this area in a Pokémon forum. Although, you could have a look at the Super Pokémon Eevee game, they at least have some kind of active battle system if memory serves.

Back