• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the worst Pokémon anime series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Pokemon: The Series XY

It's not funny or entertaining. The characters range from boring to annoying. Amourshipping adds nothing to the show. The music is nothing special. The plots, especially for the filler episodes are lame. It feels like the makers just crank out episode after episode without effort and then show it to everyone.

Atleast its much better then the trash called ''Best Wishs'' !

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Atleast its much better then the trash called ''Best Wishs'' !
    What is better about it?

At this point, I'd say it's too early to make judgments like that. Best Wishes and XY are actually very similar with how they began. Both had a surplus of fillers, Ash catching the regional bird, a Gym Battle that required Ash to do extra training for a rematch win, and a haunted mansion episode. At least with the start of Best Wishes, Iris had already stated her goal, whereas Serena is too busy crushing on Ash to do anything for herself.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    What is better about it?

At this point, I'd say it's too early to make judgments like that. Best Wishes and XY are actually very similar with how they began. Both had a surplus of fillers, Ash catching the regional bird, a Gym Battle that required Ash to do extra training for a rematch win, and a haunted mansion episode. At least with the start of Best Wishes, Iris had already stated her goal, whereas Serena is too busy crushing on Ash to do anything for herself.

At least Ash didn't had to get his ass-kicked by A Rookie twice and get insult by him just because he's the first rival he met !
    Or At least he didn't turn into incompetent idiot in name rebooting.
    Or His Pokemon is getting some form of training rather then just having cute Adventure.
    Or At least Ash get to keep some of his past competence.
    Or At least Ash isn't being treat like a crap in name of rebooting.
    You have no right to say Ash treated fairly after the Unova League crap.
    All the other thing you mention , Happened in every series !
    BW series series mainly based upon cartoon like ''Dragon Tail'' , ''Bunny The Dinosaur'' Or ''My Little Pony'' .
    Basically cartoons about a little child having cute adventure with his cute animal friend.
    However those are for children under 7 ! Pokemon's popularity is mainly among Elementary-school student & higher . Therefore Pokemon need to handle in a Shouene manner just like ''Shugo Chara'' was handle in a ''Shoujo'' manner .
    You will see that AG series was handle in a 'Shoujo'' manner if you imagine May as a Central Protagonist.

Last edited:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • At least Ash didn't had to get his ass-kicked by A Rookie twice and get insult by him just because he's the first rival he met !
    Same thing happened with Paul. Also look at Ash's battle against Penelope.
    It's the same Ash as all other series.
    Or His Pokemon is getting some form of training rather then just having cute Adventure.
    "Rematch at the Nacrene Gym!" is all about training, among other episodes.
    BW is canon, just like all other series.
    ???
    I do have the right, and I don't think Ash was treated differently than any other series.
    So why hate only BW?
    BW series series mainly based upon cartoon like ''Dragon Tail'' , ''Bunny The Dinosaur'' Or ''My Little Pony'' . Basically cartoons about a little child having cute adventure with his cute animal friend.
    However those are for children under 7 !
    Lol
    But BW was based on other series of Pokémon.
    Pokemon's popularity is mainly among Elementary-school student & higher . Therefore Pokemon need to handle in a Shouene manner just like ''Shugo Chara'' was handle in a ''Shoujo'' manner .
    You will see that AG series was handle in a 'Shoujo'' manner if you imagine May as a Central Protagonist.
    Pokémon doesn't have to be like other anime. I prefer originality and it's up to the writers and producers on how the Pokémon anime should be handled.

I'm not saying BW is better than XY, I'm saying that XY isn't revolutionary and is not that different from BW. One thing that XY is doing better is creating character development for the male sidekick (Clemomt compared to Cilan).

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I also vote Best Wishes. I won't say the D/P series or the X/Y series, as I haven't seen them yet. But trying to get back into the anime by watching Best Wishes was....well, a mistake, to be blunt.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Same thing happened with Paul. Also look at Ash's battle against Penelope.

Paul was experienced trainer with same level of experience as Ash , Don't compare him to a trash like Trip who was just a beginner .
    FYI : Ash didn't needed to get his ass-kicked by Gary during Kanto series !

It's the same Ash as all other series.

Not this series Or DP Series !
    Ash kept his experience , He didn't revert back to his stupid self like BW series .
    He also remember typing too.

"Rematch at the Nacrene Gym!" is all about training, among other episodes.

Just one episode , DP series & XY series shows training in multiple episode.

BW is canon, just like all other series.

???

Not really , People believe Ash to be atleast 11 or 12 by the time of AG & DP since they have a same structure as a 10 year old boy until BW canonize that Ash is 10 even though Original series clearly state that 1 year has passed since Kento Journey.
    Oh , Did I forgot about the Brand new Mewtwo ???

I do have the right, and I don't think Ash was treated differently than any other series.

In other series , Writer actually tried to create an enjoyable league .
    But this time they made worst League conference and it can only be done on purpose .

So why hate only BW?

Because Ash progress during other series but BW series ruined every single progress he made .

Lol
    But BW was based on other series of Pokémon.

Nope , New Mewtwo prove another new universe .

Pokémon doesn't have to be like other anime. I prefer originality and it's up to the writers and producers on how the Pokémon anime should be handled.

However some people out there want Pokemon to be like ''My little Pony'' Or ''Dragon Tales'' .
    Pokemon is a 3rd category Kids Anime with continuity , It need to be treated like that way .

I'm not saying BW is better than XY, I'm saying that XY isn't revolutionary and is not that different from BW. One thing that XY is doing better is creating character development for the male sidekick (Clemomt compared to Cilan).

So , People still complain about Cilan not being treated fairly .
    Because that guy treated much nicely then Ash was treated during BW series.
    He been treated like a A-class connoisseur with the ability of s-class connoisseur .
    Every single connoisseur who challenged him got crush by him yet nobody complain about he being an overpower connoisseur who need to be beaten another connoisseur.
    Man , I wish Ash was treated that way but nooooooooo , He had to be beaten by some jerk even if he/she a total rookie.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    At least Ash didn't had to get his ass-kicked by A Rookie twice and get insult by him just because he's the first rival he met !
    BW series series mainly based upon cartoon like ''Dragon Tail'' , ''Bunny The Dinosaur'' Or ''My Little Pony'' .
    Basically cartoons about a little child having cute adventure with his cute animal friend.
    However those are for children under 7 ! Pokemon's popularity is mainly among Elementary-school student & higher . Therefore Pokemon need to handle in a Shouene manner just like ''Shugo Chara'' was handle in a ''Shoujo'' manner .

Atleast its much better then the trash called ''Best Wishs'' !

Paul was experienced trainer with same level of experience as Ash , Don't compare him to a trash like Trip who was just a beginner .
    FYI : Ash didn't needed to get his ass-kicked by Gary during Kanto series !

Not this series Or DP Series !
    Ash kept his experience , He didn't revert back to his stupid self like BW series .
    He also remember typing too.

Just one episode , DP series & XY series shows training in multiple episode.

Not really , People believe Ash to be atleast 11 or 12 by the time of AG & DP since they have a same structure as a 10 year old boy until BW canonize that Ash is 10 even though Original series clearly state that 1 year has passed since Kento Journey.
    Oh , Did I forgot about the Brand new Mewtwo ???

In other series , Writer actually tried to create an enjoyable league .
    But this time they made worst League conference and it can only be done on purpose .

Because Ash progress during other series but BW series ruined every single progress he made .

Nope , New Mewtwo prove another new universe .

However some people out there want Pokemon to be like ''My little Pony'' Or ''Dragon Tales'' .
    Pokemon is a 3rd category Kids Anime with continuity , It need to be treated like that way .

So , People still complain about Cilan not being treated fairly .
    Because that guy treated much nicely then Ash was treated during BW series.
    He been treated like a A-class connoisseur with the ability of s-class connoisseur .
    Every single connoisseur who challenged him got crush by him yet nobody complain about he being an overpower connoisseur who need to be beaten another connoisseur.
    Man , I wish Ash was treated that way but nooooooooo , He had to be beaten by some jerk even if he/she a total rookie.
    BW series is pretty much canon to the show more so then the DP series, atleast BW redeem Ash character since he was so blend aswell as being boring in the DP series.

BW was much then DP hell even the Unova league was good but too overrused, DP had boring uninteresting characters and Paul was like the worst rival they ever add to the show.

To me DP was pure trash of a series and this is were the show goes downhill.

Famons is wrong about everything he say in his post.

One thing i argee on Serena being nicer then Iris and atleast Serena isn't annoying like Dawn was thank god for that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    BW series is pretty much canon to the show more so then the DP series, atleast BW redeem Ash character since he was so blend aswell as being boring in the DP series.

BW was much then DP hell even the Unova league was good but too overrused, DP had boring uninteresting characters and Paul was like the worst rival they ever add to the show.

To me DP was pure trash of a series and this is were the show goes downhill.

Famons is wrong about everything he say in his post.

One thing i argee on Serena being nicer then Iris and atleast Serena isn't annoying like Dawn was thank god for that.

Really , Then I wonder what happen to Original Mewtwo and where this new Mewtwo pop up .
    Boring uninteresting character ???
    Let see , Georgia and Burgundy was pretty much Ursula clone While Bianca was a typical Airhead.
    Trip was hexed trash while cameron is Lucky trash .
    They aren't interesting at all.
    As for Paul , he's far better then the trash called Trip ! Its not mine alone opinion.
    As for Redeeming , You mean his losing to a complete beginner twice , Lose every single tournament , Lose the League to an complete idiot who didn't even brought a 6th Pokemon and become a incompetent fool then I wish Ash never get redeemed.
    Just because he dance & jump like an clown doesn't make him better then DP Ash . Even an actual 10 year old Boy doesn't act as childish as BW Ash .
    As for longg filler during DP series , BW series has a whole saga dedicated to nothing but filler.
    Pokemon had worst rating & reputation during Da Journey . I'm not the one who claim it . The show's rating and multiple review prove it .

You Post hardly make any sense ! It as if Your trying to provoke other and get their attention rather then defend BW series .

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2015
    To be honest, I can't be sure which is my favorite season. With 16 full seasons and a promising one currently running, I have to say that my LEAST favorite would be BW. I just didn't like the characters nor the majority of Pokemon (I loved the starters though). So far, XY has good character development, which I feel many characters lacked previously, and I'm getting used to the Pokemon. But Indigo League has its being the first and probably best Pokemon-wise. I never did actually watch the majority of IL, because I was too young. I was three when it ended, but I did watch reruns of it on Boomerang sometime when it ended. I actually really liked Hoenn, maybe because it was the series I remember best? I just liked the Pokemon a lot, and May was a great character. Max was decent, but now if I rewatch Advanced I can't get over how annoying he is sometimes. And Brock's staying on was an awesome thing as well. Diamond and Pearl was very good, as I remember, though I never finished it all the way. I liked Dawn and almost every Pokemon in Sinnoh, though I wish I had more to say about it..Well, here's my list, which probably would switch around depending on what aspect we're looking at. Overall, here it is:

XY(so far)- Good characters, some interesting Pokemon, and it feels a lot less rushed than I remember some seasons being
    Hoenn OR DP- Both have awesome Pokemon and pretty good characters, but I need to rewatch them :/
    Kanto(IL)- Awesome Pokemon, decent character development, but I just couldn't finish watching the whole season
    Johto- I never watched this season except for a few episodes. However, I liked the Pokemon. Other than that, Johto wasn't great
    Unova(BW)- I hated characters like Iris and Cilan, and the majority of Pokemon just didn't appeal to me. I never watched anything past episode 30 or so because I just couldn't do it anymore

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I saw every pokemon episode, except the B/W serie, I spot watching Pokemon when I saw this. I start again when I say X and Y, I do like it. I loved May and Dawn and the contest! (And of course for me the best time was with Brock and Misty!)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    All of them!

Now that I got old I can't stand watching Pokemon!

The manga is far superior than that anime with amazingly boring villains!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Only region I've sat through from beginning to end was Kanto. I saw through a lot of Johto during the supermarathon a few years back in the leadup to Diamond and Pearl, saw the beginning of DP, and haven't watched much else. I could go by ratings, but then again, that would be unfair, as each series gets progressively worse ratings.

From what little experience I do know about the various series (note that Johto was not included in this since that's technically part of the original series), I'll rank them from worst to least worst:

1. Best Wishes.

2. Advanced Generation

3. Diamond and Pearl

4. Original Series

As I have little knowledge on XY, even for someone who hasn't watched any of the recent series at all, its not listed on here, though I'd probably place it either between AG and DP, or otherwise right before Best Wishes.

1. Best Wishes was, without any doubt (other than possibly XY), the absolute worst series, period, from what I could gather. They had to shatter continuity, make Ash into a complete idiot, even more than in prior series, Team Rocket, despite being upgraded from wimps, still wasn't handled right, they had Ash not only lose the league, but actually decrease in rank for whatever reason, and they gave him the Team Rocket treatment with Trip. Yes, people can argue about Paul, but at least he actually did have three regions worth of experience on his belt and actually did know what he was doing. Trip was a rookie and really shouldn't have been able to beat Ash that easily. Their inclusion of Dawn was also completely random, as she literally had no reason to be in the region. Misty at least already didn't like having to run the gym and left at the first opportunity and wanted to meet up with Ash anyways, and at least May had a specific trans-regional ribbon to aim for as an excuse for her appearing in Sinnoh. Plus, when exactly did she qualify as a Pokémon Trainer than a Pokémon Coordinator? Also, for a so-called "advertisement" of the games, they really dropped the ball in advertising aspects actually from the games, specifically the World Conference, which would have killed two birds with one stone by a. showing something from the games, and b., actually giving the perfect excuse for Misty at least to reappear. Probably the only good things about the region are that Iris at least wasn't given the characterization of an airhead, unlike May and Dawn, and that she actually was allowed to pursue her goal, unlike Misty, the only other female main protagonist that had a goal that wasn't that of a Pokémon Coordinator, and they at least actually acknowledged Ash's original Kanto team, including Butterfree and Pidgeotto/Pidgeot. Ash being listed as ten, although unfortunate, isn't really an issue because really, most official materials listed Ash as being ten, yes, even AG and DP.

2. Advanced Generation is the second worst. Literally the only reason it's not the worst right now is because BW managed to top it. The Gym Leaders were treated like total pansies to Ash's rookie team barring Pikachu (which makes their decision to force Misty into a gym even more insulting due to it giving the implication that the Gym Leaders were extremely weak, almost to Team Rocket Trio levels), Team Rocket basically suffered from wimpification even more than before (only DP exceeded that bit, and at least there, they gave Jessie some redeemability by making her a skilled coordinator), and they made May into... I know its an insulting phrase but I can't think of a better word right now... a bimbo, just like the characters from Love Hina, Battle Vixens, and heck, the Fiorello Fangirls from the original series. It made the sad situation of their replacing Misty even worse when they effectively insulted her character (she was pretty much one of the few Anime characters who DIDN'T fall under that characterization. You can thank Princess vs. Princess regarding how I knew that). Honestly, I could forgive May replacing Misty as long as they didn't make her into a character we would expect from say... Love Hina, Battle Vixens, or heck, Maron from DBZ (by that, I mean Krillin's girlfriend, not his daughter with Android 18). Also, May proved to be a bad mother in the final movie when she basically didn't even attempt to rescue Manaphy at all in the climax. At least send out your Squirtle or your Beautifly if you can't reach him. Honestly, she was a coward who abandoned her own kid. Also, Ash ended up not improving in the Hoenn League (IE, increasing in rank), which until BW was the absolute worst League result that ever occurred. And as shown with May's departure, the group lacked any real chemistry. Oh, and they also decided to bring Brock back despite the situation at Pewter gym being even worse, and what's worse, when a repeat of what happened beforehand at his gym occurred again during Battle Frontier, despite his family proving again that they simply aren't cut for the gym, he basically irresponsibly ditches the gym, again. Brock doesn't even focus on his breeding goal. It was also the start of the girl-swapping for eye candy purposes as well, and May was especially blatant where her appearance was more befitting of a teenager than an actual 10 year old.

3. Diamond and Pearl was a bit better than AG, though not by much. Dawn showed some promise in the beginning episodes of not being an airhead, although the moment she complained about bedhead ruined it. Team Rocket was pretty much shown to be pathetic, with their having two of the worst costumes in the entire franchise in this series (and by worst, I mean they were extremely pathetic, obvious costumes that absolutely no one with a brain could even mistake them for someone else). They were innkeepers (who wore a green coat without even covering up the tell-tale "R"), and a Croagunk (Meowth, who fooled everyone in the area, even Brock, someone who actually HAS a Croagunk, and not only that, was voted the best Croagunk despite his disguise being extremely obvious). And Brock literally had no reason to join the group other than due to the trucker leaving him behind. The good news is that the Gym Leaders were actually shown to be challenging, though not quite to my expectations (as I was hoping Pikachu would sit it out since its experience would outrank the others, not be pulverized especially considering its win against Regice). And Ash actually increased in rank. Too bad he still lost the league, but at least he showed signs of improvement. In addition, Team Rocket's wimpiness was mitigated somewhat by Jessie actually proving herself to be a skilled coordinator.

4. The Original Series was by far the best series, yes, even Johto. Kanto had Ash beginning his journey, and his losses can be justified as well. In addition, the group dynamic actually worked. The Gym Leaders were actually shown to be somewhat difficult. Team Rocket were shown to be genuine threats at various points rather than wimps, and even their disguises were at least done well enough to make it look like they are different people, thus not leaving the main characters to be complete idiots. Ash also improved during Johto to not get freebies as well, and overall the journey actually seemed somewhat realistic, and he actually does improve in regards to the leagues as well. And honestly, watching the Johto so-called "fillers", I didn't see what was so bad about them. Probably the only real complaints I had were Brock's womanizing a few times (though it certainly wasn't as bad as his instances of womanizing in the AG and DP series) and their really insulting removal of Misty at the end of the series. Other than that, there wasn't exactly much bad about them. Maybe Orange Islands wasn't too good, though.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    BW, I guess. It felt pretty bland and boring to me. Then again, I'm not a fan of Unova in general.. ^^;;

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2014
    personally I would say BW.
    The series was okay but Iris and Cilan were too annoying.
    Also very few of Ash's Pokemon evolved!
    Oh imagine sitting in front of TV guessing when snivy, oshawatt or pignite would evolve and they never did!

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I didn't liked hoenn series personally , some fans don't like johto season cause of the fact ash released him bulbasaur, squirtle and charizard, that can be a reason johto was boring for some people but episodes were fantastic if you ask me

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I didn't liked hoenn series personally , some fans don't like johto season cause of the fact ash released him bulbasaur, squirtle and charizard, that can be a reason johto was boring for some people but episodes were fantastic if you ask me

Yeah, and besides, at least Ash actually showed improvement by increasing in rank in Johto. Hoenn/AG didn't even have him increasing in rank, and quite frankly, the only reason he won that region is because, with the exception of Brawley, all the Gym Leaders were total wimps (I mean, honestly, they have to be if they lose easily to rookie Pokémon).

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    The main reason I don't care for the Jouto region episodes is because of the bland, formulaic filler between Gym battles that often centered around Satoshi and co. helping uninteresting CotDs with their problems. As much as the gaps between Sinnoh's Gyms could get really annoying, at least stuff happened in between - Pokémon Contests, Shinji and Jun appearances, Team Galactic, filler story arcs, training, etc. It was especially jarring coming off the more quickly-paced Kanto and Orange Islands portions of the OS, and it took until the later parts of Jouto before the writers started making up for the length of that saga with longer story arcs to occupy the time.

I do like some things about it, though. There were a few episodes that took the time to point out that Satoshi had grown as a trainer. The Pokémon battles improved. I liked Satoshi's Bayleaf, Hinoarashi, and Waninoko. I liked Sonsansu as an addition to Team Rocket. As annoying as it was at the time to see Satoshi give away a powerful Pokémon like Lizardon, it did come back occasionally. I enjoyed the Jouto League and the way the OS wrapped up with Satoshi defeating Shigeru, the departures of Kasumi and Takeshi (though the latter did come back for AG), and the way he left behind all of his old Pokémon save for Pikachu. It almost felt like it could have been the end of the anime.

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I think the series I hated most was the BW series. The storyline was boring and nothing much happened, whereas my favourite series, DP, had lots of interesting episodes involving Team Galactic.

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • I hated every episode I have seen of BW. I have seen only about 20 filler episodes but I didn't like any of them. I still feel like there is way too much monotony in the series. The same thing every season.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back