• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

getting into competitive battling

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2017
    So I've never played competitively in Pokemon, and i want to try it out in this gen (Pokemon X and Y). I've done research in IV breeding and EV training and such so I've got a pretty good grasp on how to go about in that area. I would just like to ask for someone to give me a simple, basic team that is easy to obtain, and their held items etc, so I can start battling and get a good look on how things are competitively in pokemon.

i would like to add that, i like mega pinsir.. maybe someone could suggest me a team around that pokemon :D

Thanks!

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Yeah, I'd practice on Pokemon Showdown (it's an online simulator) because the first team you make inevitably won't be worth your time to create on your cart.

But to get you started, Mega Pinsir runs:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
    Trait: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Return
    - Earthquake / Close Combat
    - Quick Attack

Simple sweeping set. Use Close Combat if Aegislash gets banned. Otherwise, you can't risk it and should run Earthquake. Pinsir is kind of amazing so you picked a good mega lol. It's important that the 4 spare EVs don't go in HP so you can switch in on Stealth Rock one extra time.

It's commonly paired with Talonflame to form "BirdSpam," which basically just abuses that fact that there aren't a ton of Flying resists in OU and those that exist can be worn down so that even if you have to sacrifice one of Talonflame or Pinsir, the other can sweep. One way to do this is with CB U-turns from Talon:

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Trait: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - filler

It also gives you a pseudo-defensive backbone since Gale Wings Brave Birds shut down a ton of set-up sweepers. The filler can be Tailwind (which has priority with Talon) or even Will-O-Wisp I guess?

If you'd prefer to break stall better, it runs a very strong Bulk Up set as well. That has the added benefit of having way more longevity than CB since it runs Roost and can afford to invest in bulk because Gale Wings is amazing.

Obviously, you'll need a Rapid Spinner or Defogger--and a good one at that--so that you don't get decapitated by hazards. Keeping hazards off the field altogether is also useful (through Taunt, offensive pressure, or even Magic Coat).

Back