• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Dresden - Baptism by Fire - Gen 3

dresden_88

Warden
Years
  • Hi guys, I hope the title isn't misleading due to it being an expression referring to "an introduction by necessity" for lack of better terms. I've made a team for competitive battling and have had absolutely no luck at all with getting any feedback regarding my team or what could be done to improve it. My major issue is getting across the fact to people, simply this; I am literally brand new to competitive battling and have no idea what I am doing for an effective team. So, please bare with me and without further adieu, here is my team and what info I can provide about it at this current time! (ps, i refuse to use legendaries, pseudos are okay though)

{removed old team info}

Aerodactyl (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Return

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss

Cloyster (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Sludge Bomb

Weezing (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Pain Split
    - Haze

Team Roles:
    Aerodactyl is officially my opener/lead pokemon due to her great speed and attack power. does short with a bit of prediction.

Blissey is still my cleric, she's a bit more tempermental without dear 'ol skarmy for company, but she did well solo.

Gardevoir is still a fierce special sweeper, her only "bullies" seem to be faster pokemon, and STRONG physical sweepers.

Metagross is starting to look like a backup sweeper next to aerodactyl, but still makes short work of steel-types with earthquake. (considering dropping metagross from the team.)

Cloyster is now my physical wall/dragon slayer (got a 1hko on salamence ^_^ ), still unsure about the moveset, might revise later after some helpful suggestions and research.

Weezing has already proven to be quite annoying in competitive, between burns and pain split, she can cause a quick change in plans, also offers support by hazing.

[edit1]
    i'm trying to fine-tune the team for better performance, and slowly getting better luck, but it is far from perfect.

[edit2]
    i've actually tested this team on TO and so far have had a win/lose of 2:2 (just tested online with more skilled players rather than with a GBA and link cable with a friend. going to keep testing the team too!)

major problems i'm observing with the team:
    pokemon like jolteon seem to be a serious threat due to its sheer speed and sp.attack/STABed thunderbolt. I was pleased to be able to 2-hko a tyranitar with aerodactyl, but due to my inexperience as a competitive trainer, this team has a long way to go.

what are your guy's and gal's collective thoughts? am I using my team right? could I do something different? i'm totally open for any advice you guys and girls have for me :)

Cheers!

Team Online W/L
    ------------------------
    W:10 / L:3

Last edited:

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • see why i need help?

do you have any suggestions on a CB Metagross? only thing i could think of would be to drop agi for thunder punch and switch out to choice band from lefties.

ninjask is already on the chopping block, but the issue is, i am not sure for what. i've been considering a hazer/staller weezing as a replacement.

but with that said, i'm still not sure where to direct this team. :/

[edit] also, if you read *everything*, you'd know i am not using jirachi because i refuse to use legendaries.

[edit2] been practicing some more with people over at PO and have made a bit of a substantial improvement.
    whilst moxie was rather rude and rather vague, i did take into consideration the whole double-spike team and realised that they were on to something useful. so i dropped skarmy and forretress and did another team change-up. i also dropped meta's agility for Explosion and CB. its speed is pretty beefy as it is, and the entire goal is to obliterate, CB allows this. so while i felt moxie was rude, thanks for the helpful subtext! (too bad your post was deleted :( )

Last edited:
    Back