• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tired of OU and all of its inhabitants?!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
That's right... Smogon just released its cut-off for the OU tier. The total amount of OU Pokémon are cut short in the usage statistics stopping at #53, Tornadus. Here's the list of OU Pokémon (meaning, these guys aren't allowed in UU!)....

Spoiler:

...And the list of UU Pokémon & below. I cut the list at a point where you don't have to worry about scrolling through useless Pokémon and NFEs.
Spoiler:

So, what do you think the new metagame's going to shape up like? What will be the dominant threats? Did any of the OU Pokémon surprise you? What might be banned in the near future? Go ahead, discuss to your hearts' content, kiddies. :)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I got to #3 on PO's UU server which is essentially the same tier list.

Stall is really good with offense being mediocre in the tier and having so many defensive options to choose from, infact Chansey was suspect for "supporting the team too well".

Azelf was flat out banned which i expect again, because look at what it does to the tier with NP/Psyshock/Flamethrower/Filler lol.

Also and interesting note on Vulpix being banned too because of Drought.

Kingdra too looks nasty as its counters are few and between.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I expect Victini to move up to OU promptly with the release of V-Create, Kyurem can be a big threat now with Scizor's bullet punch out of the way, and the reduction in defensive steal types that resist both of its STABs.

I think stall is a pretty cool style in this metagame to with Chansey, Deo-D, Cofagrigus (this is actually my defensive core to my new UU stall team :D) and the absence of rain to make hydro pump crush defensive pokemon. I feel it'll be way more fun than OU. ;D Just as soon as Victini goes I guess.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was surprised when Zapdos, Mew, Kingdra and Togekiss moved down to UU. I guess the Unova Pokemon made a pretty big impact, like Thundurus, as well as the new moves. I also thought Scrafty would be a UU Pokemon, but I was surprised when it became OU.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Toxicroak ou wooh
lol scrafty above terakion is this world ending

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
lol scrafty above terakion is this world ending

Scrafty's actually really good. He's got a much easier time setting up, aka not being weak to every type of priority and actually having enough bulk to set up on things. Plus, it has a good speed tier to outrun most of the +0 metagame when he's at +1 and can set up on like some of the most common Pokémon in the meta, like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn (when it has Shed Skin). Terakion, while strong and with great type coverage in its STABs, is just too frail, priority weak, etc etc for it to be very successful. :(

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Scrafty's actually really good. He's got a much easier time setting up, aka not being weak to every type of priority and actually having enough bulk to set up on things. Plus, it has a good speed tier to outrun most of the +0 metagame when he's at +1 and can set up on like some of the most common Pokémon in the meta, like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn (when it has Shed Skin). Terakion, while strong and with great type coverage in its STABs, is just too frail, priority weak, etc etc for it to be very successful. :(
How is 91/90/90 not bulky especially in sand?

Also, priority weak is annoying but Scrafty also suffers from Mach Punch weakness which is more or less the only common priority in this metagame and Scizor. I have tried Scrafty (really good) but Terakion sweeps usually with just one rock polish or swords dance. Scrafty needs to set up a few times to get dem attack and speed.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
After +1, Scrafty can outspeed positive base 111s (most notably Thundurus). This is what makes the DD set so great. Also guys, Terrakion has two r's, just saying. The thing that Vrai is saying is he's weak to Scizor mainly. Scrafty is not. :x Scizor, sitting at 3rd in usage, basically decimates the Rock Polish user with a simple Bullet Punch, which OHKO's 2/3 of the time. Scrafty also has the ability to run a bulky...Bulk Up set, is a pseudo-status absorber with Shed Skin, and has the alternate ability of moxie which just makes it decimate anything not named Conkeldurr after snagging one/two kills.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
Years
Hahah, Porygon2 made the cut (who's under who's shadow now, Snorlax)! Come to think of it, Snorlax and Zapados' falling to UU means that...Gengar and Starmie are the last Pokémon to remain OU for all five generations!

As for the big bad 660 dragon in UU, Kyurem might seem threatening with it's monster offensive stats, but movepool wise, it's still quite restricted, and it also has issues dealing with Chancey. Is it the 5th generation Slaking? Perhaps not. But it's still manageable, at least in its current state. Victini also seems rather problematic with V-Create, but this technique is at least checkable with Flash Fire and Pursuit. Still, I wonder...

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hahah, Porygon2 made the cut (who's under who's shadow now, Snorlax)! Come to think of it, Snorlax and Zapados' falling to UU means that...Gengar and Starmie are the last Pokémon to remain OU for all five generations!

As for the big bad 660 dragon in UU, Kyurem might seem threatening with it's monster offensive stats, but movepool wise, it's still quite restricted, and it also has issues dealing with Chancey. Is it the 5th generation Slaking? Perhaps not. But it's still manageable, at least in its current state. Victini also seems rather problematic with V-Create, but this technique is at least checkable with Flash Fire and Pursuit. Still, I wonder...

Chansey and Snorlax and the very few Steels in the UU metagame (Cobalion, perhaps?) are the only things that can even remotely consider checking Kyurem, really. And even then, they risk Kyurem running a mixed or a physical set which will probably just clear an entire sweep for another special sweeper. Toxic Spikes also help deal with Chansey and aren't too hard to set up due to there being a lack of common Poison-types (Nidoking? is that even found on the same team as Chansey lol).

Speaking of Chansey, I think that Snorlax is infinitely better insofar as actually being not useless. Chansey flat-out loses to a lot of things, especially things with 101 Subs (sub+claw sharpen kyurem) or things with Sub + Ghost-typing (sub np mismagius). Snorlax just... doesn't lose to them. Plus, it can stomp all over Kyurem kinda. I haven't used either because I haven't found a niche for a pure special wall in a team yet, but I think I'd prefer Snorlax.

Slowbro also seems like it will be outstandingly good in UU, checking literally every single physical attacker there is in the tier I think. :)

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years
I just really don't see why Starmie and Gengar are still in OU. :/ Sure, they are pretty good, been around for awhile... But still nothing too special to be so high up. They are outclassed and out-powered. neither has any means of boost sweeping either. Slap NP on them, maybe they deserve that OU spot...

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I just really don't see why Starmie and Gengar are still in OU. :/ Sure, they are pretty good, been around for awhile... But still nothing too special to be so high up. They are outclassed and out-powered. neither has any means of boost sweeping either. Slap NP on them, maybe they deserve that OU spot...

Gengar and Starmie both still have their niches as speedy, powerful special attackers not named Thundurus. Starmie has Rapid Spin, as well as the opportunity to nail Ferrothorn with HP Fire. Gengar shuts down Conkeldurr, outspeeds a lot of stuff, and idk it's 4 am when i'm writing this lol. :(

I'll come back with a better response later, I guess. :(

Celebi UU? Am I reading that correctly?

Yes. What makes you think Celebi is useful...? It's not that fantastic at all this Gen.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Yes. What makes you think Celebi is useful...? It's not that fantastic at all this Gen.
I can second that. Celebi isn't that useful in this gen. I used one, turned out it wasn't that great at all, but Conkeldurr have no match against it. Maybe it'll has its use in UU.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was also disappointed that Zoroark became UU. I thought it'd be OU because of its Illusion being useful if played right. But I guess Team Preview ruined that.

Detox

Gengar and Starmie both still have their niches as speedy, powerful special attackers not named Thundurus. Starmie has Rapid Spin, as well as the opportunity to nail Ferrothorn with HP Fire. Gengar shuts down Conkeldurr, outspeeds a lot of stuff, and idk it's 4 am when i'm writing this lol. :(

I'll come back with a better response later, I guess. :(

Yeah but one little nitpick,,,doesn't Conkeldurr out damage Gengar D;

UU if fun I suppose, however the lack of a reliable fighting type other than Hitmontop is sorta annoying.

Years
I was also disappointed that Zoroark became UU. I thought it'd be OU because of its Illusion being useful if played right. But I guess Team Preview ruined that.

Haha careful with that kind of thought process (unless you mean you don't want to face it in your UU-tier play, in which case, disregard all of this). Just because a pokemon is in the UU tier does not mean it has no place in OU play, I still get fooled by that **** all the time probably because I don't pay enough attention at the team preview. However, I've seen my brother make good use of it by baiting with a poison pokemon on a turn when it's not going to take direct damage.

Looks to me like much of the tier is somewhat controlled by the still common rain play, considering the high usage numbers on Ferrothorn (though he's good in non-weather situations, too) and Jirachi (who I absolutely love against many water-types, and I imagine since SS+Drizzle is banned, rain stall is a popular option?).

Seeing Latias so low in usage surprises me, I love her bulk in this metagame. Also, looks like the suicide lead game is essentially dead, probably thanks to team preview.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Yeah but one little nitpick,,,doesn't Conkeldurr out damage Gengar D;

UU if fun I suppose, however the lack of a reliable fighting type other than Hitmontop is sorta annoying.

Gengar wins with SubDisable, which is imo one of its best sets. Also Cobalion is a decent Fighting-type but yeah, Hitmontop is much more reliable imo.

Seeing Latias so low in usage surprises me, I love her bulk in this metagame. Also, looks like the suicide lead game is essentially dead, probably thanks to team preview.

Well Latios is usually preferred because it's easier to smash things with. Latias is generally more suited for teams that can utilize her bulk, aka stall teams which are really one of the hardest team styles to play and thus isn't used much. I've found several times when I wished I had Latias in UU, though - her typing is really cool and I want to be able to Wishpass without relying on that useless Chansey.

Yes, suicide leads are terrible. You have to actually use something that helps out your team. :(

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Well Latios is usually preferred because it's easier to smash things with. Latias is generally more suited for teams that can utilize her bulk, aka stall teams which are really one of the hardest team styles to play and thus isn't used much. I've found several times when I wished I had Latias in UU, though - her typing is really cool and I want to be able to Wishpass without relying on that useless Chansey.

-Cough- @ stall ;D

Also Chansey is really good in UU, it got banned on PO because apparently it "supported the team too well due to its mixed defenses" there were calcs that showed it lived stuff like CC's from Terrakion etc, not by much but yeah. Its by far the best team supporter in UU, its far from useless but you must build your team to support her. She is at home best on stall where you cover her downfalls, which is a problem most morons have when just they slap her on a random team and expect her to work.

Yes, suicide leads are terrible. You have to actually use something that helps out your team. :(

D-S is the only suicide lead that works, cos its THE utility mon lol.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
-Cough- @ stall ;D

Also Chansey is really good in UU, it got banned on PO because apparently it "supported the team too well due to its mixed defenses" there were calcs that showed it lived stuff like CC's from Terrakion etc, not by much but yeah. Its by far the best team supporter in UU, its far from useless but you must build your team to support her. She is at home best on stall where you cover her downfalls, which is a problem most morons have when just they slap her on a random team and expect her to work.

D-S is the only suicide lead that works, cos its THE utility mon lol.

Well tbh I'm not a stall player so I find very little derivative use for her atm. Plus, absolutely everything on my team sets up all over it so yeah. :( It just seems useless and Taunt-bait to me etc etc though I'm sure it's really more useful than I make it sound. :B

D-S, yeah. Forgot about it. XD

Back