• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did the Fifth Generation Games Change your Playstyle?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Has anyone noticed a significant change in the way they play the game, or do you like playing as you used to? Is it working out for you? And this can go for anything - from casually, to competitively.

For example, I remember back then, I only used to just rely on my starter pokemon, which sorta hanged going into 4th Generation, but 5th generation was when I spent more time and effort raising my pokemon, with the Audino helping out here and there! And it was fun; definitely made all the difference!

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • As it was the first game for me to battle over wi-fi and properly with friends I defiantly chose more competitive Pokemon rather than Pokemon I solely liked. Whilst I had a team I liked using because I liked them, I had about 4 comp teams that I had never done before in previous gens

Years
  • 5th gen was my first generation when it comes to competitive Pokemon, but whereas I prefer using offense whenever I play DPP, my favorite playstyle in BW tiers (especially Ubers) is balance. I'll play anything, though.

Spikes stacking is really good in most BW tiers, by the way. It's fun to play, but miserable to play against!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This is a silly answer, but it's the truth: I used to never use TM's out of fear of wasting them ("Is this move really worth using on this Pokémon? ...Eeeeehhhh, I'll just save it..."), but thanks to gen 5, now I can give my Pokémon, even ones that I use for the story, a more customized moveset that isn't limited to just level-up moves.

Years
  • 5th Gen was the first generation that literally encouraged you to use more than just your starter, and it was so much more fluid raising a team I enjoyed and the huge EXP gain from wild Audino helped it further.

I had been playing well in 4th Gen, but 5th Gen saw me being that tad bit smarter so it was mainly my experience coming into play but this generation definitely improved my playstyle greatly.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I never was one of those people who only used their starter in Pokemon, even way back in Gen I.

I don't think that there was ever a hugely major change in my casual playstyle as far as I can remember in any generation other than just generally getting better at the games and stuff. Competitively though there was a huge change, since, like Sweep, Black+White/Gen 5 was when I first got into the competitive Pokemon scene.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I don't think it changed my playstyle at all, and I haven't decided whether that's a good thing or not. Personally, I feel like I've generally improved gradually over time, and I think Gen 5, particularly BW was a bit different from that usual formula and difficulty progression. I think when I go back to do it again, I'll put MUCH more emphasis on grinding. I think I can play the same way, and still be successful; I just need to grind a lot more than I'm used to. And that's okay, because it's good to play different styles to become more skilled in general. I don't think a good player is defined by his or her playstyle. A player can decide for themselves if they're good or not, and no one has the right to argue it. That's the beauty of Pokemon.

Years
  • I don't think it changed my playstyle at all, and I haven't decided whether that's a good thing or not. Personally, I feel like I've generally improved gradually over time, and I think Gen 5, particularly BW was a bit different from that usual formula and difficulty progression. I think when I go back to do it again, I'll put MUCH more emphasis on grinding. I think I can play the same way, and still be successful; I just need to grind a lot more than I'm used to. And that's okay, because it's good to play different styles to become more skilled in general. I don't think a good player is defined by his or her playstyle. A player can decide for themselves if they're good or not, and no one has the right to argue it. That's the beauty of Pokemon.

You certainly said some wise words. The playstyle is something that's entirely decided by YOU, the players, and that is the appeal we see in Pokemon games, because you can play it in your own way. I felt B/W was different from most previous Pokemon games I did at the time I first played it, and it was really the game that defined my playstyle of Pokemon as it is today.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    5th gen was the first game where I started EV training my pokemon. Do you mean like the starters were so awful that you had to rely on other pokemon? 5th gen is like one of my favorites but the starters suck haha

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I started keeping my main party on the same level in 5th gen. Previously, I would keep my starter 3-5 levels ahead of everyone else (though the rest of the team would all be on the same level). But I think that's the only major change that happened with my playstyle in gen V.

Years
  • Do you mean like the starters were so awful that you had to rely on other pokemon? 5th gen is like one of my favorites but the starters suck haha

I don't find the starters that bad, plus all starters tend to have BSTs close to each other anyway. I guess it's mainly because the Unova starters' BST was lower than other regions' starters, but I wouldn't say they were "bad". At least some of the Pokemon you encounter along the way have power that can make up for it, so using the starters won't be much of an issue if you have a good team built around it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Haha, yeah. The Unova starters really aren't completely the best, design-wise. Each one has a stage that I don't like. Their final stages, for example. Except for Serperior, who's just a big snake and...

I haven't really changed my playing style with these games. Maybe because I was older than most when I got these games, so I had a better idea of what I was doing. I can say that I'm more willing to experiment in these games. Since TMs are reusable, I can see what works best on my Pokemon. And there are so many Pokemon that I want to try because I've heard that they're decent.

Back