• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon evolving during battles?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Hey, quick question here! Is it possible to modify the game so that evolutions can occur during a battle instead of just after it? (for example, if I was battling with a Psyduck, and he reached level 33 before the match was over, but there were more Pokemon left to battle on the enemy team, he would evolve on the spot in the middle of the fight (evolution scene and all) and then continue the battle as Golduck instead of having to wait until the battle was finished to trigger evolution? If not, no big deal just curious. If you can provide help here, it'll be appreciated :D
    This would also apply to evolutionary stones being able to trigger evolution during a battle if used during.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Since I've taken a drastic step back from game dev, I'm currently helping someone with one of my games, but I'm not too involved, I'm making scripts I never thought were possible... Time and time again I see questions like this where people ask if something is "possible"... It's game development, EVERYTHING is possible, if you can think it, you can do it.

Back on subject, I've already created this script and I can only imagine it's where you've seen it or go the idea for it at least... It's very well known since I come online to 30-50 PM's about it some weeks, evidentially, if it's that well received, I will get ---- to send me his game (unfortunately he doesn't want to release the scripts until he has a completed game) so upon completion and release, I may release many (if not all) of my scripts to the public and this is among them... I'm currently away from home and won't be returning until August time, so I could possibly release this, then... If I remember correctly though, I don't think I ever did make it so that you could use evolution stones, because that's just silly, why would you want to use a stone in battle? What's the benefit? I think it's ridiculous to use a stone in battle when you can use a stone at any point on the world map.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess that you just need to make the evolution scene and update the battle, but battle scene is complex, this may have some bad collateral effect that need to be adjusted.

Since I've taken a drastic step back from game dev, I'm currently helping someone with one of my games, but I'm not too involved, I'm making scripts I never thought were possible... Time and time again I see questions like this where people ask if something is "possible"... It's game development, EVERYTHING is possible, if you can think it, you can do it.
    Yes and no.

We are limited by the technology of player computers, but very VERY few amateurs devs have this problem. It's just out of scope. In AAA industry, this is a recurring problem, specially for devices with less power like cell phones.

Try to make a multiplayer online real time fighting game that this became very clear. Syncronize the game and handle packet delay is VERY annoying. Technology problem after all.

RPG Maker XP have too many stupid limits that can't be solved just by scripting. You can't edit maps by this Engine and have more than 999 maps, by example. RGSS Player is too limited and performatic weak. You can't even run OpenGL API. It uses Ruby 1.8.7 and a very weaker interpreter than YARV.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Oh yeah sure, technology will be the only thing to slow us down, but nonetheless, you can still do what you want in game dev... In this case, evolution during battle... If I can do it, I'm sure many people here can... The battle is complex definitely, it's figuring out what you need to change/edit which makes things hard... FL is right, it can cause other problems.

Back