• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Masochism

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Let's define this straight off, shall we? As much as I adore fetishism, that isn't what this thread's about. No, rather, here we're talking about the desire or need to put oneself through an unpleasant experience without expecting some kind of satisfaction after the fact. Pain for pain's sake, essentially, so for most Dark Souls would not be an accurate representation of this.

Having an almost compulsive need to, say, I dunno, Platinum every game you play, or playing bad games that grant you no real joy in their being "so bad it's good", this is video masochism. I'm sure we've all had flights of something like this, one time or another. So my question is, are you a video masochist? Or have you put yourself through a bad gaming situation just for the sake of it, before?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hmmm I remember playing League of Legends after experiencing a stressful day at school/university and even though i lost several games in a row, which should have been the sign to like quit for the day, but no! I was like "I GOTTA WIN AT LEAST JUST ONE!" and I had to endure several losses before eventually earning a hard-fought win where i hard carried. The good thing though is that it was just on unranked/Normal ques other wise, I would not have played several games that led to losses if they were ranked.

Its kinda like this. Mental strength and emotional fixture really does help, especially in online multiplayer. If you play because you were pissed, its like you were eating because you were pissed -> Unhealthy as heck, and you'll tilt faster than drunk lady at a party.

Also, I'm still on the hunt on a legit copy of Haze for the PS3 so that I could play it myself, and we all know how bad Haze was, but was it really that bad? I bet Uranus it was, but I really do want to experience it first hand because some people have even said that the game was "good" in order to not like overly glorify how horrid it was. The same thing can be said with something like Aliens: Colonial Marines. Heck I'm willing to embark on all those potentially scar inducing journies for the sake of saying something about "Missed Opportunities" D:

pkmin3033

I used to be a video game masochist, and I've got fifty-something horrible platinum trophies - including Dungeon Travelers 2, Final Fantasy XIV, and all three FFXIII games - to prove it. I took this to the point that even games I enjoyed stopped being fun...like that time I played through Tales of Symphonia three times. I never thought I'd get sick of that game, let me tell you. It started innocently enough in October 2013 with Mass Effect, which I did enjoy enough to play through it three consecutive times to plat it. Then I did it with the second game...then the third. Then I thought to myself I'd plat some of the games I'd already platted on other accounts, because it looked nice. Then it...kinda degenerated. My New Year's Resolution this year was to stop platting titles after I'd finished my current ones, and I have more or less managed to kick the habit. It wasn't good for me. I was missing out on a lot of games - and barely touching my 3DS - because of it. I went through a lot of stress, and eventually the stress started to outweigh the satisfaction of getting that shiny trophy at the end.

These days I'm not AS bad; it's more a point of stubborn pride than it is masochism. I don't like feeling beaten by a crapshoot AI, so I will play and play and play until I finish the game in question, regardless of how absolutely diabolical it actually is, until I do it. I did it with Resi 5 recently...I endured an entire game of misery just to watch Albert Wesker catch rockets with his bare hands. I'm also putting myself through unnecessary pain with Fire Emblem Fates right now. So I suppose I'm still weasling my way out of this mindset.

...but as a kid games were a very scarce resource; I got maybe one or two every six months and I had to make them last. So I would do *everything* in them. Habits like that are hard to break, even when the game isn't particularly enjoyable...

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Whilst I am not much of a video game masochist I have in the past been known to go to ridiculous lengths to get an achievements.

A couple that come to mind...

Man of 1,000 holds on one of the WWE games. - Whilst the wording wasn't clear it involved hitting 1,000 finishers in a single match. Took over 2 hours.

The achievement to win a player match in Tekken 6- I managed to get the ranked counterpart it took 60 matches of (fairly one sided) defeats before I finally got a win. The character that randomly got me this win...Christie Monteiro.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Video Masochism

I'll leave it at that.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I dun geddit. But then again, I haven't played ANY Final Fantasy game since FF-X.

Mello loves Lightning so much, she roars like a thunder for every mention of Lightning as a character ^o^

LIGHTNING, LOVE HER! SO MUCH. AND I GET TO PLAY HER ALL THE WAY. WEEEEEEEEE ITS LIKE PARASITE EVE, BUT WITH LIGHTNING. Which is why Lightning and Aya are paired together for some reason O-o ITS LIKE A HOT FICTIONAL YURI PAIR! Oh wait, no. Aya is much much cooler.

And then it Sang. She Sang the Song of Storms. She high jumped kicked the demons-with-shotguns with her Melo boots, and wrote a 50 page essay on why Lightning sucks yet could have been a somewhat decent character, and how her little sister is a far better character.

Speaking of staying on topic:
    Video Masochism

Listening to the wasted talent of John St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem) with the Hatred Guy. Seriously, his dialogue... ITS SO EDGY, SO EDGE. HYPER REALISTIC EDGE

yet.. i wanna play the game first hand so i can actually write something legitimate about it.

Sir Codin

Wasn't Hatred really nothing more than a troll game to try and generate controversy anyway? Like they tried too hard to make it shocking and offensive to the so-called "SJW" types. They succeeded with the trailer, but failed with the actual game.

POSTAL 2 ended up being more offensive than that game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Other than it being on bad taste, the real reasons why Hatred was "bad" was more of quality defects than it being Destructive Creations', proof-of-concept to counter the counter-culture of the indie game scene. But when the game decides to work, like its explosions, and other uses of the Unreal Engine 3 it has, it does work.

So i talked to Corwin of SpicyWaffle about their experience with Hatred since they uploaded a Postal 1 Redux lets play vid and this is what they said:
    The game lagged really badly, it was plagued with bugs that caused the game to crash a ton

When my hero Corwin rants about a game, I know he was being serious.

Yet my body is like, "XIN YOU GOTTA DO IT! YOU GOTTA SPEND A BIT IF YOUR CASH SKRILLAZ EVEN THOUGH YOU AIN'T GOING TO ENJOY IT SINCE EVEN CORWIN SAID IT WAS BAD or at least could have been an unpleasant experience even if they made videos of it"

On topic:

Playing Doom 3 back in its time (2004) for me was originally an unpleasant experience. BUT XIN YOU LOVE DOOM RIGHT? Yes I do, but Doom 3 was something that I played thinking that it might be the lovely lovely revitilzation of Doom during that time of 2004 but nope. What we got for Doom 3 was running around with a flashlight sh*t, and some people would humorously refer to now as a "First Person Dead Space with Flashlights!". Yet i did my best to play it because it was Doom. BIASED AND UNDYING LOVE! I almost dropped my love of Doom because of Doom 3, and I actually lost a bit of faith with Idsoftware. Good thing that I read about Doom sourceports and downloaded ZDoom, and played good ole Doom on a more modern computer, and have never really stopped.

Speaking of VG masochism, playing Brutal Doom in Doom map packs that were made years and years ago, meaning that these maps not being balanced for Brutal Doom's gameplay. People who play Doom and custom map packs may be able to relate.

Genesystem

Beef Alternative
    Years
  • I dun geddit. But then again, I haven't played ANY Final Fantasy game since FF-X.
    I don't really get it either. It had some strange design choices but I would really call the game bad or a grind. It was certainly my favorite of the trilogy.

Shame about that story, though. If Serah'd been the main it actually could've been a memorable narrative journey. Well, that, or if they'd cut down the soliloquy on Light's end and made her express. At all. I get the point of why she doesn't so much, but those strange gasps she makes to elicit...reaction and- eheh, going off. You'd be surprised that I actually like this game a fair deal.

pkmin3033

I get it, but I platted the game, so it's etched into my memory in painful clarity. But I'd call Lightning Returns the middle child - it wasn't as bad as the original, but it was worse than XIII-2. I've actually become quite defensive of Serah lately.

Anyways, I'd question whether it really qualifies as video masochism just to finish a game, even if you didn't enjoy it at all. Playing it to the end has always made sense to me, as not only are you getting your money's worth, you're making sure you have a fully-informed opinion...especially with JRPGs, that often start out very slow and explode near the finale.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Getting DPS as your 3rd 60 up as solo queue only dungeons anyone?
    Try doing T5 Binding Coil with randoms for the trophy...I had to pay to swap servers so I could join a friend's FC and piggyback off them for it. Then there are the numbers trophies...1000 FATEs, levequests - which takes six months because allowances - and doing all those menial tasks. Ugh...

But yeah, queues are why I didn't play DPS. I went Tank. Because Tanks get all the healing, drawing aggro is easy, and nobody screams at the Tank for not doing their job properly. Plus Tanks are in relatively high demand.

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
    Years
  • Try doing T5 Binding Coil with randoms for the trophy...I had to pay to swap servers so I could join a friend's FC and piggyback off them for it. Then there are the numbers trophies...1000 FATEs, levequests - which takes six months because allowances - and doing all those menial tasks. Ugh...

But yeah, queues are why I didn't play DPS. I went Tank. Because Tanks get all the healing, drawing aggro is easy, and nobody screams at the Tank for not doing their job properly. Plus Tanks are in relatively high demand.

They do complain if the tank leaves and they apparently did a bad job. I started as healer and sometimes the tank would yell at me but I wasn't doing anything wrong lmao. Usually it was a WAR trying to pull the whole dungeon or like this one time a tank didn't know how to do Dzemael Darkhold and yelled at me saying I pulled the monsters when I watched the targeting lines go straight towards him.

Back