• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Operating Systems

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
  • I'll admit 2 things. I am a very Apple person. Many often say people who use Apple products are tech-illiterate, and I admit that for myself...
    Though that does not mean I'm a complete Apple fanboy.

iOS has always been my mobile phone operating system of choice. It works well to suit my needs, it is generally quick and secure, plus iOS 7+ is eye candy (subjective). However, I don't think iOS is that good of a fit for tablets - tons of wasted space and potential.

As for computers, I grew up with Windows. I used Windows all the way till when my Acer laptop running Win 7 died. I was undecided between a new Asus laptop and a MacBook. Back then, I really really hated the new look of Windows 8 (and even today, I still dislike it). I guess I also fell for Apple's marketing ploy. I made use of student discounts to get a MacBook Pro, and that was my first exposure to OS X.

I wasn't used to OS X at first, but now I absolutely love it. OS X Yosemite is the most beautiful operating system I've ever used, and it keeps the familiar feel of previous versions. (Again, subjective)

I don't think I'll switch away from OS X and iOS (for iPhone) anytime soon. I am having second thoughts about the iPad - either replacing it with an Android tab or just getting rid of it for an iPhone 6 Plus, since I am not exactly into tablets. I really like the direction Windows 10 is going, but I guess I'll stick with OS X because switching between camps isn't a fun thing to do.

Years
  • I'm more used to OS X than Windows, but I have Windows 7 installed alongside OS X on my Mac for school reasons. I also have Ubuntu running through a virtual machine, but I only use that for testing purposes.

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
  • I'm mainly running Windows XP due to that being the only disc I basically own for a Windows system (Dell OEM), I've have been thinking of switching to Linux sometime, but like Team Fail said, everything is basically made for Windows nowadays (especially PTCGO which is a program I run at least once a day)

My Main Phone at the moment (ZTE Sonata 4G) is running around Android 4.1.2, though I am going to by switching Phones later this week due to the USB Port on my current phone being all wobbly and hard to charge with

Years
  • I'm mainly running Windows XP due to that being the only disc I basically own for a Windows system (Dell OEM), I've have been thinking of switching to Linux sometime, but like Team Fail said, everything is basically made for Windows nowadays (especially PTCGO which is a program I run at least once a day)
    If you have the money, I'd say go for at least upgrading to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. You can purchase Windows 7 Home Premium for under $100, which is pretty good, and even Windows 8.1 can be bought for just $99 off of Amazon.

You're probably aware of Windows XP being out of support by now, but just some suggestions to help keep you a little more secure, since hackers are more likely to go after users of Windows XP considering the amount of vulnerability there is now that it's no longer in extended support from Microsoft.

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
  • I have been thinking of buying a Win7 Disc for a little while now, but I've also been thinking of switching to Linux too, it's just PTCGO's stopping me from doing that due to Unity applications not playing nice with Wine

As for the support ending, I AM Aware of it and I installed to the Unofficial SP4 from RyanVM.net :)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I have been thinking of buying a Win7 Disc for a little while now, but I've also been thinking of switching to Linux too, it's just PTCGO's stopping me from doing that due to Unity applications not playing nice with Wine

As for the support ending, I AM Aware of it and I installed to the Unofficial SP4 from RyanVM.net :)

Why not just hold on for a bit more and get Windows 10 when it's time to do so? (I'm assuming that your PC's more than fast enough to run it.)

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
  • Why not just hold on for a bit more and get Windows 10 when it's time to do so? (I'm assuming that your PC's more than fast enough to run it.)
    That IS a problem as my laptop's kinda rinky-dink compared to most laptops today:

2.5 GB RAM (Upgraded from 512 MB RAM)
    1.6 Ghz Processor
    Intel 915 Graphics Chipset

That's why I said that Linux is a viable option if TPCi ever updates PTCGO to play nice with Linux

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That IS a problem as my laptop's kinda rinky-dink compared to most laptops today:

2.5 GB RAM (Upgraded from 512 MB RAM)
    1.6 Ghz Processor
    Intel 915 Graphics Chipset

That's why I said that Linux is a viable option if TPCi ever updates PTCGO to play nice with Linux

I am pretty sure your laptop is faster than my Surface RT. (If in doubt, you can always grab the Windows 10 technical preview and dual boot that, if only to see how it performs.)

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
  • I am pretty sure your laptop is faster than my Surface RT. (If in doubt, you can always grab the Windows 10 technical preview and dual boot that, if only to see how it performs.)
    I might give that a try later, I'm not positive though (I'll be making a Backup Image of my Hard Drive though using Macrium Reflect :))

Years
  • I have very little experience in any non-Windows OS - I did use a Mac at one point but it was for school use so I couldn't tell you any of the specs and it's been years since I used it anyway - so Windows in general is my preferred OS choice.

As for specific versions...I'm really liking Windows 7. I mean, I haven't minded any version up to this since XP, but I've had some pretty good experiences with it, plus it's shiny. Good enough to where I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, unless Windows 10 can woo me over. I don't mind Windows 8 when on a tablet (like mine), but I really don't care for it for desktop use all that much.

Years
  • I got into Linux about a year and-a-half ago. That was after using Windows for probably eight years that the OS would've mattered to me, and the transition went (and is going) well.

Unfortunately every distro I've tried except Arch have given me some sort of issue. Ubuntu was difficult to customize, debian would stop booting and give kernel panics after a few weeks of use (and having to work with old software was no fun), and the hard-drive I had slackware on got corrupted within a few days of installing it somehow. Arch has worked for me for about four months now, so I think I'm gonna stick with it until something new attracts me. :)

^ Agreed, the metro/modern UI is better off on mobile platforms. I even prefer it to the way Android and IOS do their interfaces.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • Well, Since you don't see many new computers running windows 7 (My personal favorite) I had to get Windows 8.1. I was skeptic at first but, it isn't that bad! There is only one flaw! NO START MENU!

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'm on Windows 8 and I don't even notice that Metro menu most people complained about. That's because I've purchased a very cheap program that allows me to completely replace its start menu with the Windows 7 version. So it pretty much works like Windows 7. Or at least, how I think Windows 7 is supposed to work. Because I actually skipped straight from Vista to Windows 8. Nevertheless, it does what is necessary and I don't need anything fancy. So out of lack of options that either don't cost a lot (Mac) or would be too involved (Linux), I'll have to say that Windows 8 is my favorite operating system for now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    My fav is what I am on currently which is Linux mint (quiana)
    Irons all (most) of the bugs out that are in ubuntu and has a proper desktop in cinnamon.
    I also have lubuntu on my 15 year old pc(it hasnt been used since i have got this pc really apart from being used for printing)
    It is great to make old pcs work, for people that want more than puppy linux but don't need any fancy desktop tricks.

Never used apple OS apart from a look in the shops but from what I know is that they ; while they work better and are more reliable than windows, they are more restrictive than windows even.
    My bite with apple OS' is also that their systems are very closed and very much on planned short life.(forgot the technical term) As it is especially with their moble devices.(actually some one won a court case against apple for the short battery life and lack of possibility to exchange it in ipods)(I also have an i pod nano 2nd gen and it has long been unusable as of a defunct battery.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Have used every Windows OS since 95, bar NT 4.0 and Me, although I only used 2000 and Vista for a short period of time. I have some experience with Ubuntu 12.04, too.

Although right now I'm on 8.1, 7 was definitely my favourite OS. I only had 1 (one) BSOD, and it was pretty fast.

Back